Forums Gaming Chat Roleplaying How do you take -your- audio?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  EvilAardvark 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Reverse
    • Commoner

How to you like to listen to your actual plays? (RPGMP3 and others) I’m curious about whether people have listening patterns of how they like to consume their audio.

Me, I like to binge-listen. I frequently download the first 3 or 4 episodes of a campaign to see whether I like it or not, then I’ll listen through the entire thing from start to finish over the days or weeks it takes to finish, without interruption. My top preference is for the campaign to be finished before I even start listening! (It also avoids one of my bug-bears, podcasts that don’t run to their conclusion, and particularly ones where you’ve never quite sure if they’ve stopped recording altogether, or they’re still going and it’s just a gap while recording and editing happens).

Consequently I always prefer campaigns to one-shots – I like the ongoing story. The longer, the better.
    If it’s an ongoing campaign, I’ll often wait until there’s at least 4 new episodes, so I can have a mini-binge – otherwise I find by the time I remember what’s happening, it’s over.

But I am not the world. How do you prefer your audio?

kendoyle659
    • Thri-kreen

I tend to listen in a mini binge format myself. There are a few that I will try and listen to when they come out but they tend to be podcasts that have been very regular with output. I do have a massive backlog of things to listen to though. That certainly helps with the bingeing part. I tend to try and find a game/setting that I like and settle on that for a while. If I want a change I’ll try and make a note of where I got up to and then find something fresh for a week or so.

Lockhart
    • Owlbear

I tend to listen at work, either podcasts or audiobooks. Or when not at work doing longer drives (half hour +) or chores around the house or yard. Any period of time where my mind is undistracted enough to follow along with listening and catch enough details.

I’ll usually work on one series at a time. If a series is current I’ll download the latest sessions when they release and keep listening. If it’s an older series I’ll usually try to work through the whole of it.

Lockhart
    • Owlbear

As an added note, as the feed is getting updated now, I am using Podcast Addict to listen on my android phone. Listening to the Sugar-fueled items I’ve found I can increase speed to 1.2 and set up silence skip (not sure how much this does to be honest) to speed through a bit quicker but still have understanding.

EvilAardvark
    • Commoner

I always listen to podcasts at 1.5x or 2.x speed. This does make it hard for me to listen to episodes directly from the web pages: despite the fact that I know, logically, that this is normal-speed, my brain believes y’all talk much faster than that and audio at 1x speed sounds like everyone playing has recently had a stroke.

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Wow – you guys are just like the students where I work. They all watch lectures back at double speed 😛

Cheers
    Hal

EvilAardvark
    • Commoner

I’m Scottish… we tend to talk really fast so it is what I’m used to.

I must admit that talking to people from the US, particularly the southern states, can make me feel claustrophobic at times: yes, yes, I know what you’re saying, you agree with me… oh god they’re still at it… when will this sentence end… hmm… I wonder what I’ll have for dinner tonight, maybe sushi would be good.. let’s check in… nope they’ve still not finished that sentence… oh, my, how long can it take to agree with someone… I wonder if he’d mind if I just butted in and agreed, or maybe finished the sentence for him… no, that’d be rude, let’s just wait it out… OMG how long can it take to say “yes,
    agree”… I’m dying here… this one sentence is starting to feel another type of sentence – a prison sentence… there’s no content… he’s just saying he agrees… why is it taking so long… oh, god, I need to pee now… YEAH, that’s it done… oh bugger, he was just taking a breath… that’s it, I’m going to practice sleeping with my eyes open…

x2 speed doesn’t eliminate that, but it does make things bearable without turning everyone into chip-monks.

I have a lot of Indian friends and they say they feel the same, including about Scots, so I guess I’m just sowing what I reap.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.