Forums Non-Gaming Chat Fun Stuff Mornington Crescent: The Return

This topic contains 20 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  JamieMcCrimmon 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

We have only played one game of this classic, intellectual and stimulating game of trickery, chance, subterfuge and strategy on the forums, way back in 2014. I thought it may be time to roll it out again and see who will jump on board for a little foray and melee.

ARE YOU READY TO PLAY MORNINGTON CRESENT?

Mornington Crescent Tube Station Sign

Rules (Paraphrased from Slartibartfast in the orignal game we played)

The game is open to anyone who would like to join in and post, although it is considered bad form to double-post, as this invalidates any further use of replacement bus services for the duration of the round.

To keep things simple we will be playing with the ‘London Underground 2013 – Pre-2014 Strikes Board’. As Mornington Crescent is as ubiquitous as Monopoly I will presume you all have a copy of those rules but to keep things simple I will post a pic of the map we will be using below. Please update your own board with the counters as otherwise, it will get confusing.

We are waiving the Weather rules and the Random Encounter rules as there may be beginners who want to participate and we all know where they can lead in the hands of the inexperienced. 🙂

I don’t need to tell you where to start as that should be obvious.

YOU ARE READY TO PLAY MORNINGTON CRESCENT!

Optional Universal Core Basic Rules –

– The play starts at a designated station on the Underground network and players take it in turns to declare moves from there.

– As we are playing by the Council of Norwich standards only one counter needs to be in play and players take it in turns to move this from station to station.

– Obviously, only legitimate moves are allowed.

– The game ends with the first player to move the counter to Mornington Crescent station.

– This person is the winner although technically none of us are winners in this game…

As promised, a London Underground map so you don’t have to sully the one in the box too much.

London Underground Map
    Tube Map Link (in case you need it larger)

Enjoy – Someone else has to make the first move as I am currently the Instigator and according to the Blythe and Trubshaw MC Compendium I am not allowed to be the first player if we are using the ‘Pre-2014 Strike Board’.

Looking forward to this one folks. Be good to play some games on here again.

Tally Ho!

Cheers
    Hal

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  Hal.

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Golly, what fun! Let’s get these jolly japes started, then.

I’ll start on Watford Junction, and immediately (in accordance with the Flomersby-Göttelgrüning addendum of 1959) declare myself the Chief Tubular Winkletinkler for the first five rounds. Since this allows me to re-roll any encounters on the Political Scandal table, other players will have to think twice before invoking the optional rules for Scurrilous Scalawags.

PS: Since the esteemed Mr. Halpin seems to have omitted the link in his haste to start playing, here is the 2014 site play-through.

PPS: Considering that this is an RPG site, would it be permissible to use Pathfinder rules, and acquire the Mornington Crescent Blade Dervish combat feat?

PPPS: Again, given that this is an RPG site, would anyone prefer to play a D&D- or Pathfinder-based variant? Mornington Krenshar, using a Greyhawk city map, perhaps?

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Nice move and a strong start there Monkey. Watford Junction is a classic opener but the addition of the Chief Tubular Winkletinkler is a little unorthodox. That said, I expect you to be the cause of a lot of scandal in this game so I guess it does makes a lot of sense.

As I can now take a turn, I will begin at Royal Albert and immediately use the Supplemental Hand Cart Maneuvering Rule from the 1976 Scottish Variant to jump to Prince Regent in the classic Prince Albert gambit. I will also use my optional, additional, supplementary turn to set up a tube-side handkerchief concession to earn me a few more farthings so I can make some larger hops later.

With regards to the fantasy game idea. I love it. I think we could manage that with a fantasy map the next time though some of the rules are very locomotive and industrially specific so we may have to play a little fast-and-loose with the rules as stated, especially in things like Grington’s Guide To MC Locomotive Locomotion and the like.

Cheers
    Hal

JamieMcCrimmon
    • Flumph

Since some of us remember Graeme Garden being defeated 3-0, 3-0, 3-0 by IBM’s Sublime Blue in 2002, I will play South Kenton. Also, I’m using the optional Oyster card rules – which will prevent any tubular winkletinking from PencilMonkey until he gets a moulied cordwangle from someone.

Placing red tokens on Northern, Piccadilly and Central lines. +4,-7, 0.

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Ho ho! You fell for my ploy, old chum! Since Halpin has used both a Prince Albert gambit and the rules for handkerchief sales in the same round, that allows me to bring the 1993 Lancaster ruling on board-wide trimmage into play. This will let me bypass Bushey altogether, and skip straight to Carpenders Park, although the rapid circumcis- …I mean, circumnavigation, incurs a one-in-twelve risk of losing my foreski- …I mean, fourgon. (That’s a baggage car.)

Also, you’d best move fast, McCrimmon – now that you’ve put tokens on more than two lines, if someone draws a Dastardly Scuppering card from the “Mind the Gap” deck, they can force you to move to a different station. Since you’ve got tokens on the Northern, Piccadilly and Central lines, the colour coding should be: Black, plus Dark Blue, plus Red, which results in Very Extra-Deep Purple. Due to that particular line being closed in 1924, and redacted from history in 1946, you’ll likely end up on the Metropolitan line (Magenta). Fortunately, that should only delay you for a turn or two, while you hurry over to either Northwick Park or Preston Road station on foot.

Nick T. Vegan
    • Flumph

Shit!!! Somehow I started in the New York subway system. Give me a minute to try and figure this out.

Thing
    Admin
    • Drider

I see we are up that that kind of naughty business in round are we?

In that case I see no reason to now board at Uxbridge and invoke Isambard Kingdom Brunels secret siding tunnel to jump straight to Shepard’s Bush Market. I’d also like to play the totally non political Hens night party card to make Carpenders Park fully occupied for the next 5 turns.

Nick T. Vegan
    • Flumph

I’m taking a train to JFK so I can fly over to London

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I have to say that if Nick does manage to win, his score is going to be truly massive because of the distance traveled. It may be up there in the top 10 Mornington Crescent scores of all time if he can pull it off. If he was going to the ultimate score he would have taken a paddle steamer across to Blighty to avoid the flying penalty but I don’t think it will make that much difference if he has the correct cards in his hand.

As the Waterloo line is pretty clear, I am going to play the Football Tourism card from the 1984 Mornington Crescent Sporting Compendium and jump to West Ham where I will have to idle a while as I do not have the Switchblade card.

Nick T. Vegan
    • Flumph

They redirected the plane and I ended up at Gatwick. I don’t even see that on the map. Where the fuck am I???

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Nick – if you have the resources and cards to do it you get catch the Express straight into Victoria. I noticed someone had already opted to use the Oyster Card rules so that might help if you have any funds on there. Then you are not too badly placed, to be honest.

Nick T. Vegan
    • Flumph

I hop in a mini cab and tell the driver Mornington but he mishears and takes me to Mile End. My wallet and shoes have been stolen and I have been stabbed. Oh god I think I just stepped on a used needle.

JamieMcCrimmon
    • Flumph

Since Halpin has used both a Prince Albert gambit and the rules for handkerchief sales in the same round, that allows me to bring the 1993 Lancaster ruling on board-wide trimmage into play.

AU CONTRAIRE! Stovold’s 2013 is very clear on this point, the Lancaster ruling was overridden at the 1995 Hertfordshire County Championships (held in Cornwall) as a result of the Brooke-Taylor versus Harold Hamster semi-final games, during which Brooke-Taylor lost 0-3, then lost 3-0, then lost (-7)-(-3)-9-(-12).

Also, you’d best move fast, McCrimmon

Well, since your last move has blocked you from using the Docklands Light Railway, I think I can certainly move faster than you! Dagenham Heathway.

Oh, and the colour-coding for the tokens is Red-Amber-Green unless a player declares the Magic Circle, then undeclares it to declare the Inner Circle, then moves to a Circle Line station. If you think otherwise, a set of inverted linear differentials penalizing your movement scores will soon get my point across!

weaponizedtits
    • Commoner

I’m starting at Harrow-on-the-Hill to enable the Double Storyline Clause. This round is now worth double the points and all Oyster cards are null and void.

And since Carpenter’s Park is now fully occupied, I will ring the Dooseldorf Express and move to Camden Road.

JamieMcCrimmon
    • Flumph

all Oyster cards are null and void.

I flip the red tokens on the Central and Piccadilly lines to amber, re-enabling the cards. However, the Double Storyline Clause certainly is going to be problematic for me (a lot more so than Pencil Monkey’s attempts earlier!)

… Yeah, this is not easy. I’ve opted for Woodgrange Park, but I really didn’t expect to have to go to amber on two tokens so soon, and I’m still stuck at the east end of the map with no obvious way to regain the centre.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.