Forums Gaming Chat Roleplaying Pathfinder 2.0

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Hal 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

EvilAardvark
    • Commoner

Anyone looked at the playtest for Pathfinder 2.0? I’ve glanced through it and read some forum posts. So far, I’m finding it hard to summon up much enthusiasm. Seems like a lot of churn and change for essentially the same game except the decades of experience and the massive pile of books I have are no longer relevant.

Anyone got a sales pitch for me?

Reverse
    • Commoner

No sales pitch here – nothing I’ve seen has me jumping with excitement, but I tend to wait until reading a finished book from start to finish before making a call – but I’ll doubtlessly give it a go at some point. Like 5e, even if it doesn’t particularly enamor you, it’s hard to look past the juggernauts of RPG systems. There’s usually several good ideas in them to be mined.

EvilAardvark
    • Commoner

The question I always ask of games is “what new sort of games does this open up for me?”. And in this case, I got nothin’. For me, a few interesting ideas doesn’t cut it when there are dozens, maybe hundreds, of new and original games that I’ll never have time to play. At this point in my life, a new game has to be worth the investment.

Having spent more time reading the play-test books, all I see is game-designer ennui and vanity writ as retread rules and a warming over of tired 1970s ideas. Ideas that were fine as a historical artifact preserved in Pathfinder 1.0 amber, but frankly silly when looked at through the lens of 2018 gaming.

If I sound unreasonably irked by it, I guess I am. But not because I care that much about Pathfinder or Paizo – they’re big boys and girls who can make any decisions they want for themselves – but because I care about the various FLGSs I’ve frequented over the years. Their lot is a hard one and Paizo are gambling not just with their own future but with the future of all of the game stores that rely on their product stream to stay afloat.

Humbug.

Reverse
    • Commoner

I haven’t read the playtest books yet, so I’m reluctant to weigh in one way or the other based on some playtest blogs, without having read or played it.

But I don’t see new and original as necessarily being a big plus. (We never even got around to changing from 3.5 to Pathfinder!)

Call of Cthulhu has been around for 30 years now, and it’s essentially the same system as it was. 1st through 6th edition are 99.5% the same as each other. 7th edition shows the biggest changes they’ve ever made, and you could still fit the changed rules on a postcard. It means it’s got a huge backlog of outstanding adventures that can be picked up by any group and played instantly, which to me is a much bigger plus than having some new and innovation ideas.

Pathfinder has the upside of having a massive backlog of high quality Adventure Paths, and it’s relatively easy to use 3.5 adventures with it as well (and vice versa). My main concern is invalidating all that, and the fact that now new Adventure Paths won’t be usable for people still playing 3.5 or PF1e (or at least, the new APs will require a large amount of back-converting).

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I have the books still stuck in shipping limbo. I have quickly glanced over the PDFs and there are some nice ideas there but it will be interesting to see how it plays and what the final products comes out looking like.

Hal

Vaeron
    • Thri-kreen

I’ve discovered I don’t have the enthusiasm. I have a dozen or so pretty time-consuming hobbies and Pathfinder is one that gets progressively less attention. I peek through the monthly adventure path but I’m not sure I’ve even cracked open the last couple Ultimate books.

I’m a definite collector-not-player of Pathfinder. I have a suspicion 2.0 will be the end of my Paizo subscriptions. There is just too much other stuff. My group plays Warhammer 40k rpg mostly these days, and with a new version of that and Fantasy coming out, as well as me getting interested in D&D proper again, there’s not much room for Pathfinder. I feel like WotC learned the lessons they needed to learn, even if 5e characters do seem invincible.

I downloaded the play test but haven’t done much more than peruse it. I want to be fair to the creative team, but without a 4e D&D to counter, I’m not sure what role Pathfinder can fill beyond super-customization which, to me, can be tedious.

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I got my book yesterday and it looks OK but I hear where you are coming from. I have a bunch of Pathfinder stuff and the recent adventure paths have not got me excited at all. The most recent seemed to be trying to inject roleplaying back into the game when for all intents and purposes it has basically become a tactical skirmishing game.

I will likely run the playtest adventure to see what the system is like (and so we can fire it out on here so you guys can see what it is like) but I am not certain I will maintain my subscription either. At the moment I seem happy with 5e and I am oddly drawn to Cthulhu and Rolemaster of late. That said, I would like to see some setting and background books for 5e. The adventures are nice but I was a little fluff with my crunch sometimes 🙂

Cheers
    Hal

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.