Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter Site News Advertising – The Future Of RPGMP3

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Hi there folks,

You may have noticed that the site has been a little unstable of late. This is unfortunately due to the fact that we are trafficking a huge amount of bandwidth per day. In the last 24 hours alone we have served well over 4GB of data.

This is obviously a problem. As a stop gap measure I have negotiated with my host to have their banner on the top of the site in exchange for some more bandwidth (so please give them a click).

We are now looking into advertising options and think it is time you had your say. We can have an ad banner where the host banner is now, or one at the bottom where the ads are now. We were also planning targetted audio ads on the MP3s. 😀

Any planned advertising would be wholly appropriate to the content of the site (ie games related). We are also hoping to start up an audio reviews magazine in the very near future, so watch out for that. 😀

I just want to give everyone the oportunity to have a say in where they think the site should go next. We have had a huge amount of support from site users and members so it is time to have your say.

Your opinion counts.

Cheers

Hal 🙄

Anonymous
    • Owlbear

Cough… this is actually Kevin, but i’m to lazy to log in… and It woulden’t let me put that, so yeah.. I used my secondary name.

If I only had money I would try to make some donations, but a magazine sounds cool. Really I have no problems with advertizements on the site, for they are nessessary for the site to live. I say do whatever is needed to keep the site alive.

I apoligise for my spelling mistakes, most of them are because I’m only half-mindedly typing while I view my board and am thinking about starting another roleplay… Gah, no ideas.

Demonix
    • Orc

A few adverts to help pay for the web site sounds ok to me.

Lindsay
    • Succubus

Hello

Being the other (and better half) of Hal, I have no problem with the advertising banner, as it means we can stop paying a silly amount of cash to up the bandwidth everyday.

All sites on the net have ads, some more annoying than others but people still go to even the worst of sites (well, i do).

As long as the ads are vagualy related to roleplay/gaming and are not too large I dont honestly think anyone will complain.

Anyway, good on you guys for making my wonderful husbands website so popular, and well done Hal for completly and utterly proving me wrong and making a successful RP website!!

Lindsay

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear
    Hal wrote:
    Obviously, this would be targetted at things which are considered appropriate to the site content only (so no dating ads or washing machines)

Unless those are Gamer dating ads? 😀

Paul

Dragonkin
    • Thri-kreen

I have no problem with banner ads either – especially if gaming related, as you mentioned. To me, it’s much preferable to ads in the audio files…

I’ll still drop a donation once in a while, when I have the money (being a student ain’t easy, as you know) =)

johnnyc
    • Commoner

Banners are a good idea..

pop-ups are bad idea 🙁

Go with banners, banners are nice friendly and the baby jesus likes them 🙂

JohnnyC

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Banners seem to be the way forward then 😀

Do you think they would be OK where the Artery Planet one is at the moment? Or better at the bottom?

Not much of a comment about the idea of audio ads. They would likely only be short and be an intro to a game or company (only games related again or course)

Let me know what you all think!

Thanks Lindsay for the nice things you said 😳

Hal 🙄

Dragonkin
    • Thri-kreen

The current banner placement is perfectly fine IMO… it’s visible (which I’d say is a requirement for an ad), but it doesn’t distract you from the site…

As to the audio ads – I’d say they were ok if they were only put at the start/end of a session – I’d hate to have an “ad break” between part one and two of a session, it’d potentially break the mood in a big intense combat (or even worse in a CoC game)…

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I would never think of putting the ad in the middle of the audio. They would most likely be at the start, like the WLD Intro 😀

Hal 🙄

Salubrai
    • Succubus
    Lindsay wrote:
    Hello

Being the other (and better half) of Hal, I have no problem with the advertising banner, as it means we can stop paying a silly amount of cash to up the bandwidth everyday.

All sites on the net have ads, some more annoying than others but people still go to even the worst of sites (well, i do).

As long as the ads are vagualy related to roleplay/gaming and are not too large I dont honestly think anyone will complain.

Anyway, good on you guys for making my wonderful husbands website so popular, and well done Hal for completly and utterly proving me wrong and making a successful RP website!!

Lindsay

It’s because, Mrs. Lin, unlike almost all other recorded RPers, you and your group are wildly entertaining to listen to!

tomlib
    • Orc

I think the idea of Audio Product Placement is excellent. I certainly don’t mind a few banners either.

Another thought as well:

Think about what games you will be playing in the future. I love having maps and such of the games you play to follow as I listen. So, as you play the Classic Games (or any other for that matter) why not strike some sort of deal with the people who sell that game? I wonder how many WLD’s you have sold by generating interest?

I know DriveThruRPG sells the classic modules in PDF format.

Just a thought.

Tom-o

ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube
    Quote:
    Obviously, this would be targetted at things which are considered appropriate to the site content only (so no dating ads or washing machines)

I was really hoping for some washing machine ads. 😆

I think it’s fine. This is quality stuff, do what you need to do to keep it running.

ENoa4

Salubrai
    • Succubus

Unless you start using multiple popups and popunders (which drive me batty), I will be fine with whatever advertising you choose to implement. As long as it keeps the site up.

Cob37
    • Gelatinous Cube
    johnnyc wrote:
    Banners are a good idea..

pop-ups are bad idea 🙁

Go with banners, banners are nice friendly and the baby jesus likes them 🙂

JohnnyC

I agree with everything except that I know for a fact that baby jesus prefers subliminal messaging. And fear tactics.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Site News’ is closed to new topics and replies.