Forums Archive Roleplaying Chatter General RPG Stuff Anyone Good At Carpentry?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Hey folks!

Just found this rather stylish gaming table lurking about on the net!

Ebay Link To Ultimate Gaming Table

Whatcha think?

I like the message system 😀

Hal :hal:

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

It’s a sweet table. I’ve known about it for quite a while. The guy who’s selling it kept professing that he’d sell plans for the table, but to my knowledge he never did. Kind of annoying as I would have bought the plans for when I get my own house.

swj719
    • Succubus

Hal…

Writ ethe guy, if you like, and save down EVERY image of that table and the page itself…

Get from him every bit of info you can…

The more info, the better I can get plans to be…

I know 3 carpenters of no small skill, plus my fairly brilliant father, and myself. I’m sure I could noodle out how to make a table like it (and modify it to be bigger if needed).

And then, if you slowly gather up the material, I’m sure that I could get down there and build the sucker…

And yes, given good enough plans (like what my aquaintences here could come up with) and the materials, I am 100% certain I could make this (and it would be just as, if not more, solid than this guy’s.

And MDF makes it heavier than it needs to be, and CUTTING it kills yer tools… I wager this guy killed a brand new saw-blade… It’s also pretty freaking nasty to work with, since it contains a form of formaldehyde. Murder on the eyes and nose/throat/lungs, and it’s constantly being released, so you HAVE to paint every lil bit of it to seal it in…

Honestly, I think reagular wood would end up looking better, but that’s just my opinion (a darkish stain would look amazing, I think).

Keener
    • Drider

After looking at the pictures on e-bay I think I could design some plans on AutoCAD, once my computer is working again, if your interested (no charge I would be doing it for the design challenge)

swj719
    • Succubus

I’d love them, as *I* would like one of these… 🙂

darkfudge
    • Commoner

Despite all the features, it seems pretty straightforward in construction; one large baseplate, a few uprights (nicely done as folders), the internal channels for the message system, and a smaller plate for the play surface. The first thing that came to mind when I saw it was “a cabinetmaker had to have been involved”. The MDF, the butt joints on some of the cabinet areas, all par for the course for those guys.

$455 seems ludicrously low for the table, given that actually HIRING professional cabinet guys for even boxy, right-angle work is pricey. It’s too bad the guy didn’t work up the plans for sale, I’m sure he could have made a tidy profit for them.

The message system. I love it. It’s the exact system used by pay billiards tables for the ball return. while I’m sure you could do the same thing electronically with a little switcher box and displays in each player area, there’s something just much more cool about steel balls rolling around with secret messages…

swj719
    • Succubus

I completely agree that if not a professional cabinet maker, than someone with lots of drawer/shelving experiance (same joins get used). I could muck one up without plans, but plans would make the guts of the thing (the message system) easier.

I’d like it if we could figure out a better way for the message system returns, so they would come back in an orderly fashion (one person’s comes back to row 1, the second person’d to row 2, and so on)…

Lil screens would be neat, live maybe a small repeater, but to be useful, it has to work both ways…

That’s more money than I’d be willing to put into it…

I suppose you could put small tablet PCs in there…

Like I said, to costly. More than I’d be willing to spend on you lot… 😉

TomBedlam
    • Orc
    riddles
    • Succubus

I’ve seen it before.

If you have a dedicated area for roleplaying, it’s a nice idea. I love the message tubes! 😀

As far as building it, copying what the guy did would be relatively easy. If you don’t care about exact dimensions, you could probably draw up what he did in a day or so.

ANd of course these days you’d put a projector over the top! 🙂

swj719
    • Succubus

Oh that projector system looks COOL!!!!

SnackGirl
    • Thri-kreen

🙁 Poor Lindsay…

swj719
    • Succubus

Poor Lindsay what? What did we do this time?

Thing
    Admin
    • Drider
    swj719 wrote:
    Poor Lindsay what? What did we do this time?

Like you don’t know.

swj719
    • Succubus

I haven’t done a damn thing! I’m innocent!

Well, innocent THIS time… 🙂

Keener
    • Drider
    swj719 wrote:
    I haven’t done a damn thing! I’m innocent!

Well, innocent THIS time… 🙂

Are you sure? 👿

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘General RPG Stuff’ is closed to new topics and replies.