Forums Gaming Chat Other Gaming Board and Card Games

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Recently I have been playing quite a lot of board games and card games.

Notably things like Kingdom Death: Monster and the Arkham Horror LCG. Things that have some kind of legacy or story building component that allows the game to change over time.

As well as one-off games of things, we are going to also record some board and card games in this ilk as pick up games when groups are not all present and correct. Some of this is available on the Twitch page in the previous recordings and some of the ones off maybe Patron only after they have been initially streamed online.

Just wanted to get a gauge on the level of interest in these kinds of things from you guys. Obviously, we will continue to post up tabletop roleplaying games at as fast a rate as I can make them.

Cheers
    Hal

Reverse
    • Flumph

Can’t say I’d rush for it. I find board games have a visual component that’s harder to imagine (as opposed to an RPG, where even in a tactical grid map, it’s easy enough to visual “Gorum is in melee with a giant”, while it’s harder to visualise “There are 6 cards laid out in front of me, which are X,Y, and Z”).

I’ve listened to Lockhart’s Tales of the Arabian Nights, which is about the most audibly oriented board game you could ever ask for (it’s a large, choose-your-own-adventure book reading game), and that was… fine, but not something I’d rush to listen to over and over, whereas some of the campaigns here I’ve listened to twice or thrice over.

But then, I’m not a fan of watching board games on Youtube, either, and there are plenty of them out there, so I’m probably not the audience you’re aiming for with that sort of content.

EvilAardvark
    • Flumph

I watched some Magic the Gathering games recently, they’re fun when:

a) they do readable digital overlays of the cards so you can figure out what’s going on.
    b) you have a commentator to help explain the bits you couldn’t figure out from the feed.

When I’ve seen feeds that don’t have that, it never really holds my attention.

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

All good comments. I will post some of what we have so far here after I get the RP stuff moving along and we can see what you think. Part of the reason for a focus on legacy style games was to give it some kind of story. Kingdom Death seemed to work pretty well with the fighting and the settlement building and I think Arkham Horror should be OK.

But it will not be the main thrust of things, just another arrow in the quiver so to speak for when players have life stuff. But I am also putting a pick up game together that I will NPC missing players for so we can continue to roleplay on days when my players are slack. I don’t like doing it for the site but better something than nothing 🙂

Cheers
    Hal

Lockhart
    • Owlbear

At home me and Heather have been working through our first game of 7th continent off & on. The game does not lie when it advertises a 10+ hour playtime per game. We have just been letting it sit on the table between breaks though it is very simple to save the game and pack it up between play times. We have enjoyed it as a neat puzzle and exploration though sometimes it boggles the mind how open the map is and how off course and lost you can get if you forget to focus on your particular mission.

Recently arrived but yet to be played (though probably soon) is Consentacle. Heather is very excited about playing it. However I won’t be going into further detail on it here I think.

At the Yorkton game store we’ve developed something of a Legacy/Campaign board game group. It started with playing Pandemic Legacy Season 1 & 2. Absolutely fantastic unique experiences I cannot recommend enough, though if you handle stress poorly they may not be for you. We are currently on Gloomhaven with occasional games of Dragonfire. Gloomhaven has been very nice though we’ve been playing on Easy as we decided we’d rather get through it rather than have to grind and replay a scenario too many times. What we’ve discovered is that if you want to experience every scenario you will probably need to go through more than one campaign with Gloomhaven, or just play them outside of a campaign. Dragonfire is enjoyed but is lighter on the campaign elements and has been a secondary priority we haven’t gotten to far in.

The Legacy group has also been buying the EXIT games. Escape rooms in a box that have a disposable nature as you often have to cut pieces together in order to solve the puzzles. They have been excellent challenges and generally enjoyed, though they are a hard puzzle and typically there will be at least one puzzle of the box that seems a bit too obscure. Nevertheless we’re still awaiting the next batch.

Similar we are now looking at the Unlock games. Non-disposable, they can be replayed however the puzzles don’t change between plays and typically fall under a 1-time play like Time Stories. Unlike EXIT games, Unlock games do require the use of an app. Not quite as hard or non-linear due to the nature of the puzzle, they still afforded a pleasant challenge and escape room experience.

I’ll leave that as my update for now, let me know if you have any questions about the games played so far and I’ll follow-up in further detail on any of them.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other Gaming’ is closed to new topics and replies.