Forums Gaming Chat Other Gaming Did HG Wells invent War Gaming?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lindsay
    • Succubus

Interesting article on the BBC about War Gaming and HG Wells

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22777029

Slartibartfast
    • Gelatinous Cube

H.G.Wells’ Little Wars is still being published apparently (SkirmisherPublishing).  Has anyone given it a go?

I’ve just scanned the preview of the pdf on RPGnow and there a some wonderful lines from Wells’ intro about gaming in general and the sorts of people who play his games.

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Nice article there 🙂

Ooooh – might be worth a look if it is available. I like how there is now a Little Orc Wars as well 🙂

Hal :hal:

Ashles
    • Flumph

H.G.Wells’ Little Wars is still being published apparently (SkirmisherPublishing).  Has anyone given it a go?

I’ve just scanned the preview of the pdf on RPGnow and there a some wonderful lines from Wells’ intro about gaming in general and the sorts of people who play his games.

Or to give it its full name:

‘Little Wars; a game for boys from twelve years of age to one hundred and fifty and for that more intelligent sort of girl who likes boys’ games and books’

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Or you could just download it for free, legally, since the game hails from 1913 and the copyright’s expired. 😉

And in all ages a certain barbaric warfare has been waged with soldiers of tin and lead and wood, with the weapons of the wild, with the catapult, the elastic circular garter, the peashooter, the rubber ball, and such-like appliances—a mere setting up and knocking down of men. Tin murder. The advance of civilisation has swept such rude contests altogether from the playroom. We know them no more….

Oh, and here’s a review.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other Gaming’ is closed to new topics and replies.