Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter World’s Largest Dungeon DM Notes and Comments – WLD

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I have been running this game for a few sessions now (as I am sure you are all aware). And I have encountered and tried to solve a number of problems with the game and the set up we have going on.

I was opening up this thread to see what problems people have been having with running WLD and see what solutions they have come up with.

Our biggest problem at the moment seems to be the map. They are brilliant and shiny and colourful, but sadly also festooned with secret doors and other info. Certain areas of corridor and hugely difficult to describe and this is causing some problems.

It could be solved by having player versions of the maps (without all the extras) but again this means they can look ahead (at room sizes etc.).

I came up with a solution but it seems a little far fetched. You could have player versions of the maps which have been coated with the same stuff you get on lottery scatch cards and the like and they could then “reveal” the dungeon as they encounter it. No looking ahead and some scratchy fun. Was wondering if anyone knew how easy this would be 😀 I suggested it in an email to jim pinto, but sadly, no response to that one 😀

Anyway, just for starters to kick off the thread. Comments, problems and suggestions of running the game.

Hal 🙄

Demonix
    • Orc

I believe some dude was scanning in all the maps, photoshopping them so they could be used by the players. If this project does not surface and my copy of the book+maps dont go missing in the post (erk!) I’ll give it a go… 😀

TheCrimsonScribe
    • Flumph

That “some dude” would be me and I have no intention of not completing the project.

Obviously the maps I’m “editing” will be of the style that allows players to “look ahead”, but so long as there are no details on the rooms, what is knowing the size going to achieve for the players?

Kevin
    • Orc

My friends and I were wanting to roleplay WLD but from what my friend said it was quite spendy or something.

Demonix
    • Orc
    TheCrimsonScribe wrote:
    That “some dude” would be me and I have no intention of not completing the project.

Obviously the maps I’m “editing” will be of the style that allows players to “look ahead”, but so long as there are no details on the rooms, what is knowing the size going to achieve for the players?

Perhaps you feel that your wasting your time then?

TheCrimsonScribe
    • Flumph

Why would I feel that I’m wasting my time?

First and foremost, I’m doing them for my own group. If they prove useful and what the community as a whole wants that’s even better.

If the DM doesn’t want the room numbers, then my versions won’t be suitable but personally I don’t see a problem with the room numbers.

Kevin
    • Orc

“Now now, lets not bicker and argue about who killed who.”

Or more fitting for this case, lets not argue here… Not that I have any say in the matter at all…

TheCrimsonScribe
    • Flumph

Believe when I say I’m not trying to start anything here.

I’m just confused because Demonix made mention of my efforts (and if he’d read my posts on ENWorld about this “project”, he’d have seen that when asked, no one asked for maps without room numbers) and then proceeds to say that maybe I’m wasting my time.

I’m just guessing that he wants player maps without room numbers and therefore feels that my efforts are wasted, though he didn’t explain himself clearly.

Kevin
    • Orc

Oh, well, i really didn’t even care about responding, just wanted to get that monty python quote out there to see if there are any other fans…

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Actually I would be quite interested in getting hold of a copy of the maps without all the secret doors and area effects on them. I think the room numbers are fine, especially on the audio as they let people know where we are when my corridor descriptions go astray 😛

If I could be bothered (and had any kind of artistic talent at all) I might have a go at it myself. But I don’t 🙁

Hal 🙄

TheCrimsonScribe
    • Flumph

I’m awaiting some kind of word from AEG in regards to any special copyright information that needs to be included on them before I get them hosted, but hopefully Region A will be in circulation by mid-week.

Demonix
    • Orc
    TheCrimsonScribe wrote:
    Believe when I say I’m not trying to start anything here.

I’m just confused because Demonix made mention of my efforts (and if he’d read my posts on ENWorld about this “project”, he’d have seen that when asked, no one asked for maps without room numbers) and then proceeds to say that maybe I’m wasting my time.

I’m just guessing that he wants player maps without room numbers and therefore feels that my efforts are wasted, though he didn’t explain himself clearly.

Hey mate, calm down a bit – I miss read your reply “what is knowing the size going to achieve for the players?” and thought that you were meaning that its not worth the bother. I personally think this is a good idea which will aid the DM and players alike. Sorry!

I’ve only recent started to goto ENWorld and until Sunday night I’d never seen your post… all the info about “some dude ….” came from a conversation with a good friend on ICQ so thats why I didnt know you by name, rank and number 😀

I hope this has cleared up things and your 😀 rather than 🙁

TheCrimsonScribe
    • Flumph

No problem, I was never really 🙁 and/or 😡 , more 😕 .

Either way, I’ve received word from AEG regarding the copyright and basically so long as the maps get hosted on this site, there won’t be any problems with copyright.

So now, between organising the sessions for my group (we start tonight) and touching up maps I have a very solid schedule for a couple of years – though the maps should be done at the rate of about 1 per week.

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

So once they are hosted I can pinch them and host them here as well 😛

Or link to the directly 😛

Either way is good for me :p

We are also playing this evening. Session 4. See if they can find the plot for the Section A 😀 Tee Hee!

Hal 🙄

TheCrimsonScribe
    • Flumph

I’d stick with linking to them, though I’m sure the other webmaster wouldn’t mind a little plug if you do this.

Either that, or just grab the “copyright/disclaimer” text from that site and you could host them yourself.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘World’s Largest Dungeon’ is closed to new topics and replies.