Forums Archive Roleplaying Chatter D20 DMs Guide 2?!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Demonix
    • Orc
    Cob37
    • Gelatinous Cube

I am so glad I don’t need to spend any more money. If I was playing 3E, my OCD would force me into bankruptcy. 😈

Long Live 2E!

HisDivineShadow
    • Orc

Ew, 2nd Ed. I used to play that. In fact, when I started playing 2nd ed wasn’t even out. So I’ve played 1st Ed, 2nd Ed and 3.5 Ed. I missed out 3rd ED. 🙂

3.5 Ed is a major improvment but yeah, it costs doesn’t it? 😉

BTW, DMGII is not a core book – you don’t need it. In fact, you don’t need to buy ANY 3rd ed stuff, since the core rules are free!

Demonix
    • Orc

Free? 😯 Where from?

HisDivineShadow
    • Orc

By “Core Rules” I mean the D20 “System Reference Document” (SRD).

It’s on the Wizard’s web site, or see for example:

http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org … /home.html

Kevin
    • Orc

Well, I feel I could have put my money to better use…

Shug
    • Orc

Not playing/DM these days, but I have the 3e core books, and sat in on a couple 3e sessions… and I used to DM 2e for a quite few years…

…and I really don’t like the what I’ve seen of the d20 system. From what I’ve seen, DMing is a lot easier and smoother, admittedly – leaving more time for non-technical gameplay… but it seems like something is missing. It’s like Dungeons & Dragons – Fisher Price Edition.

We were tactical players/DMs though, and only role-players in the strictest sense of the word.

Pigeon
    • Commoner

We started playing a lot more tactically ever since 3rd edition, probabbly because we started using minatures and the whole “attack of opportunity” thing. Haven’t got 3.5 yet, but again it looks like an improvement (if only it didn’t cost so much cash!)

(edited due to stupidity)

Slacker
    • Flumph

I never upgraded to 3.5…but I like 3E because they gave the players more control over their character’s skills/abilities, regardless of class. And you don’t have to try and explain Thac0 to n00bs… 😀

Shug
    • Orc

Another thing I really hate about 3.xE is, now that I think about it…

… no specific weapon proficiencies for basic use, and the expanded ranges of weapons for classes. There’s something not right about a mage weilding a short sword or a crossbow. It makes perfect logical sense, sure (point and shoot, simple)… but ionno… it just seems unnatural for me… mages use darts, staves, slings and daggers… and that’s basically it.

We always used a battle board and minifigs, and with the new rules and minifigs, with the bit of exposure I had to it (I was playing, though – not DMing)… it played out more like a board game than an exposition of tactical space and movement analysis.

And are they going to come out with a new set of upgraded core rules every couple years? Sounds like a money grab to me. 2E lasted a good couple decades just fine, with only a few very minor refinements.

One thing I DO like about 3E+ is the ability to upgrade core ability stats… it always seemed limiting that if you got a 15 STR, short of magical intervention, no matter how much you worked out, you’re stuck with 15.

Before we got lazy and moved on, discovering other things besides roleplaying (computer roleplaying games, heh), we had made a transition to I.C.E. Law…. by then, even 2E wasn’t obscure and complicated enough for us. 😛

N-kun
    • Thri-kreen

you know having played 2E and 3.xE i find them both a bit restricting, i mean 2e was too hard to learn for newbs and 3E has too many rules about combat. Which is fine if your going to be having a certain type of combat heavy game, however they both have a tendency to get in the way of the plot as far as im concered plus the fights arent massivly exciting to be perfectly honest. there are better fantasy games out there than dnd but at least 3.xE is better than its forebear.

riddles
    • Succubus
    ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube

I don’t mind 3rd edition, but I do tend to favor 2nd edition like Cob37 and will always have a soft spot for 1st edition. However regardless of what edition you are playing do we really need more than:

* Players handbook

* DM’s Guide

* Monster Manual

* An imagination

I think the great thing about D&D is it’s wide open, easy to customize and only limited by one’s imagination.

Just my two cents.

With all that said, if I had the money I’d buy one just for fun.

ENoa4

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

I agree EN. Mainly I buy the Complete books and “Races of” books because it saves me work and gives me more “designer intended” insight into things. I still hold the power of “if I don’t like it, it’s not in though” as does every other GM in our group.

riddles
    • Succubus

I liked 2nd, but didn’t like a 18 int, 18 dex illusionist being unable to pick a lock.

You can do this in 3 & 3.5, but it also gives thieves enough of an additional edge to justify them (which I blew with allowing the bard in our party to swop out certain of his class skills to get thiefy ones).

The thing that made 2nd work for me was Powers & Abilities (I think, it’s been a while & I’m at work), which allowed you to customise characters like crazy. Want a dwarf who can’t see in the dark? You get back extra points to spend on say an improved attack. All good fun…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • The forum ‘D20’ is closed to new topics and replies.