Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter Dungeons and Dragons 4e Does using minatures curtail creative thinking in combat?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #600512
    HisDivineShadow
    • Posts : 139
    • Orc

    When you are playing the game, it is simply NOT necessary.

    It’s not supposed to be a simulation, it’s a GAME!

    #600513
    centauri
    • Posts : 1275
    • Owlbear
    eformo wrote:
    But it is. If the character is going to place the fireball on a specific square, based on measurements of how far it is from each combatant, that would require that the character has some knowledge of the distances involved.

    He does. The character can see the field of battle and has intimate in-game knowledge of how the spell works.

    Quote:
    The 29 v 30 foot part is still important in 4e, namely because if the point is 29 feet away, it will extend into the fighter’s square and damage him too.

    The fighter doesn’t take up all 25 square feet of the space allotted to him. Flames might lick to within a few feet of him, maybe even singing his eyebrows, but in game terms the effect is less than 1 hit point of damage. If he wants, and the players agree, he’s within his rights to get angry at the wizard for risking friendly-fire. That’s role-playing.

    #600514
    woojitsu
    • Posts : 652
    • Gelatinous Cube

    As I’ve said before, I don’t understand how a combat system, any combat system, can be said to curtail roleplaying. Combat rules aren’t meant to facilitate or curtail roleplaying. They’re meant to be a quick and easy method for determining the outcome of specific actions. In the end, whether or not you use miniatures and/or a battle grid should be dependent on whether or not such tools speed up play for your group, not whether they help or hinder your imagination. A player will use his imagination or he won’t, but I seriously doubt that the battle grid is a significant factor in that.

    #600515
    Lindsay
    • Posts : 2669
    • Succubus

    This is aimed at no-one, btw, I havent even really read the thread, just wanted to post my thoughts.

    I have problems using mini’s, one of the main ones being how it can spoil the gaming mood. Drawing grids, fishing out mini’s, getting the positioned correctly, drawing room features all takes time and this can really ruin the mood for me..It distracts the DM, as he/she then has to monitor the situation, prepare anything else thats going to need to be brought into play and I dont think the roleplay aspect of the game benefits from this interuption/distraction, however brief.

    #600516
    woojitsu
    • Posts : 652
    • Gelatinous Cube

    Okay, I can see how that could be a problem. It’s not something I would have thought about; our group is so used to using miniatures and grids that we don’t feel that it’s an interruption. Of course, we tend to ramble, joke, and just get generally distracted anyway, so I’m not sure that we’d notice if the minis were causing a break in the game.

    But that’s kind of what I was saying, anyway. If you feel that using minis slows down the game, definitely don’t use them. They’re only useful if they make combat go faster.

    #600517
    HisDivineShadow
    • Posts : 139
    • Orc

    To be honest, if you’re not interested in combat, you shouldn’t be playing D&D.

    D&D has always been about combat – after all, it evolved from Chainmail, a medieval miniatures wargame! I have always used miniatures with D&D.

    #600518
    Dungnmaster001
    • Posts : 215
    • Orc
    HisDivineShadow wrote:
    To be honest, if you’re not interested in combat, you shouldn’t be playing D&D.

    D&D has always been about combat – after all, it evolved from Chainmail, a medieval miniatures wargame! I have always used miniatures with D&D.

    I agree to an extent; however DnD also has always (for many of us anyway) been more about the roleplaying aspect. I wouldn’t want to play in a game completely devoid of combat, but neither would I enjoy one where there weren’t any opportunities for character interaction (with NPCs or other Players). KoTS is a combat heavy module for example but there are still some opportunities for roleplay though you have to look harder for them than some others. Thunderspire Labyrinth looks to be a more balanced in terms of combat to roleplay ratios and suits my style of gaming a little more.

    #600519
    centauri
    • Posts : 1275
    • Owlbear

    When my character is in combat, I try to decribe my character’s actions, speak in my character’s voice, and make choices my character would make. Events in combat serve to help me form my character concept and my character’s relationship with the other characters. Am I role-playing?

    #600520
    BigJackBrass
    • Posts : 4638
    • Drider
    centauri wrote:
    Am I role-playing?

    Well, if you’re not then you certainly seem to get into more fights than I do 😀

    #600521
    blinkhic
    • Posts : 15
    • Commoner

    I’m all about the visuals. So minis help me for that. I can see how some are not fans but i think to each his own.

    #600522
    amandz
    • Posts : 1
    • Commoner
    eformo wrote:

    Imagine the scenario where two soldiers are fighting in hand to hand combat.

    If I were you, I will use brass knuckles as to use in the hand combat.

    #600523
    FredyBoi
    • Posts : 1
    • Commoner

    Yeah that’s a good idea. Brass knuckles is really good in hand to hand fight.

    ______________

    brass knuckles – “Add an extreme wallop to your punch”

    #600524
    Pencil-Monkey
    • Posts : 5728
    • Mind Flayer
    amandz wrote:
    eformo wrote:

    Imagine the scenario where two soldiers are fighting in hand to hand combat.

    If I were you, I will use brass knuckles as to use in the hand combat.

    You gotta admit, that is some creative spamming! 😀 First, they piss off everyone else enough to instigate a fight, and then provide a handy-dandy link to an online brass knuckle vendor. 🙂

    But seriously, :gtfo:

    #600525
    Salubrai
    • Posts : 2940
    • Succubus
    Lindsay wrote:
    This is aimed at no-one, btw, I havent even really read the thread, just wanted to post my thoughts.

    I have problems using mini’s, one of the main ones being how it can spoil the gaming mood. Drawing grids, fishing out mini’s, getting the positioned correctly, drawing room features all takes time and this can really ruin the mood for me..It distracts the DM, as he/she then has to monitor the situation, prepare anything else thats going to need to be brought into play and I dont think the roleplay aspect of the game benefits from this interuption/distraction, however brief.

    Totally, totally agreed. This is role-playing, not a board game.

    #600526
    Hafwit
    • Posts : 493
    • Thri-kreen
    Salubrai wrote:
    Lindsay wrote:
    This is aimed at no-one, btw, I havent even really read the thread, just wanted to post my thoughts.

    I have problems using mini’s, one of the main ones being how it can spoil the gaming mood. Drawing grids, fishing out mini’s, getting the positioned correctly, drawing room features all takes time and this can really ruin the mood for me..It distracts the DM, as he/she then has to monitor the situation, prepare anything else thats going to need to be brought into play and I dont think the roleplay aspect of the game benefits from this interuption/distraction, however brief.

    Totally, totally agreed. This is role-playing, not a board game.

    This is where I’m at. The whole minis ‘n’ grit takes me out of the moment, I guess. It can’t fun sometimes, but for me it stops being roleplaying.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • The forum ‘Dungeons and Dragons 4e’ is closed to new topics and replies.