Forums Archive Non RPG Chatter Non Gaming Chat Guy Fawkes Day

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    DeTheGreat
    • Orc

For all those across the pond, and for all those V for Vendetta fans out there. Have a pleasant Guy Fawkes Day.

Remember, remember, the 5th of November

The Gunpowder Treason and plot ;

I know of no reason why the Gunpowder Treason

Should ever be forgot.

Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes,

‘Twas his intent.

To blow up the King and the Parliament.

Three score barrels of powder below.

Poor old England to overthrow.

By God’s providence he was catch’d,

With a dark lantern and burning match

Holloa boys, Holloa boys, let the bells ring

Holloa boys, Holloa boys, God save the King!

Hip hip Hoorah !

Hip hip Hoorah !

A penny loaf to feed ol’Pope,

A farthing cheese to choke him.

A pint of beer to rinse it down,

A faggot of sticks to burn him.

Burn him in a tub of tar,’

Burn him like a blazing star.

Burn his body from his head,

Then we’ll say: ol’Pope is dead.

~An old poem often said on Guy Fawkes Day.

No, I’m not anti Catholic, nor do I want to see Parliament blown up. I’m just a V for Vendetta fan. 🙂

XRayLexx
    • Orc

Went to a display at the Missus work, was cool

Thing
    Admin
    • Drider

Happy blow up parliment day, or fail to blow up parliment.

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear
    TomBedlam
    • Orc

Good old Britain. Only country that has a holiday which its main ritual is burning a man in effigy.

You know for kids. 🙄

Sinister-Ornament
    • Gelatinous Cube

Don’t forget the begging aspect of it…

Penny for the guy, mister?

Fin
    • Thri-kreen

Is it not great that we in The UK celebrate failure rather than anything so vulgar and common as success.

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Its like the Blitz out there!

Stupid fireworks (sigh). At least I am not at work. One of the busiest nights of the year for the police. Poor things will be run ragged 😀

I have to say I am mildly smug at the fact that I have handed in my notice and only have 10 shifts left to work and finish on the 19th November 😛

Whhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeee!

:plot:

Hal :hal:

TomBedlam
    • Orc
    Fin wrote:
    Is it not great that we in The UK celebrate failure rather than anything so vulgar and common as success.

It’s true Fin, your country has a rich tradition of failure. 😉

swj719
    • Succubus
    TomBedlam wrote:
    Fin wrote:

It’s true Fin, your country has a rich tradition of failure. 😉

Fin’s French?? I’ll be damned… 🙂

Sinister-Ornament
    • Gelatinous Cube

I was amused when I some heard Guy Fawkes described as ‘the only man with honest intentions to ever enter Parliament’.

Keener
    • Drider
    Sinister-Ornament wrote:
    I was amused when I some heard Guy Fawkes described as ‘the only man with honest intentions to ever enter Parliament’.

Hey that not fair… I am sure some of the Janitors have honest intentions. 😈

Balgin
    • Succubus

Well it was all fun but at least it only went on for about half a week this time. There was two months of stupid chavs using any exuse to let off fireworks last year, it got pretty annoying (not to mention the sleep deprivation).

Thing
    Admin
    • Drider
    Balgin wrote:
    Well it was all fun but at least it only went on for about half a week this time. There was two months of stupid chavs using any exuse to let off fireworks last year, it got pretty annoying (not to mention the sleep deprivation).

My house is on the edge of an Indian(Native american) reservation so a lot of the usual restrictions on fireworks don’t apply. There are families here that make most of their yearly money from the fireworks stands so I get fireworks going off for 2 months of so around the fouth of July, Christmas, New years, and the occasional minor holidy or the hey its friday lets set of fireworks.

Keener
    • Drider
    Thing wrote:
    My house is on the edge of an Indian(Native american) reservation so a lot of the usual restrictions on fireworks don’t apply. There are families here that make most of their yearly money from the fireworks stands so I get fireworks going off for 2 months of so around the fouth of July, Christmas, New years, and the occasional minor holiday or the hey its Friday lets set of fireworks.

In British Columbia Canada, fire works can only be sold for the week before Halloween. I used to live beside a Native reserve and for that entire week every night was a constant fire fight with Roman Candles and Screecharoos, which is a little annoying. But I do enjoy a little fire works action, in fact Vancouver has an impressive fireworks show set to music in the summer The Celebration of Light

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘Non Gaming Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.