Forums RPGMP3 Podcast Audio Actual Play Recordings The Happy Rocks Pathfinder Happy Rocks Shattered Star Session 07

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Balgin
    • Succubus

File Name: Happy Rocks Shattered Star Session 07

File Submitter: Balgin

File Submitted: 23 Feb 2014

File Category: Pathfinder

Genre: Fantasy

Profanity Level: Jolly Sweary Indeed

https://www.rpgmp3.com/files/game_recordings/Happy_Rocks/pathfinder_shattered_star_part_07.mp3

In a slightly shorter session than usual our heroes mount the spire and meet some foul mouthed hooligans before pressing on in with their search for the next shard of the Shattered Star.

Joining us this session are:

Balgin – the GM

Evan – Lokni Fireblood – mono linguistic Shoanti thunder caller bard

Oren – Muata Fireblood – multi linguistic Shoanti elder brother of Lokni with an anger management problem

Paul – Malvolio – Chelaxian tiefling jumped up lackey inspired by Malvolio from Twelfth Night

Tarstarkes – Sorin Shadowcloud – elven archer

Issac – Czarro Sharesh – Varisian Inquisitor who seeks signs and omens

Click here to download this file

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Ah, so this was the session where you realized that Hal & Co. was playing Smattered Shart as well. 🙂 Interesting to hear the comparison between the two play-throughs.

Balgin: “They got their asses handed to them by poo goblins!”
    Chorus: emoticon__2_by_demeters-d4lht4l.gif
    Balgin: “And then they had to get rescued by Fenster the Blight!”
    Chorus: emoticon__2_by_demeters-d4lht4l.gif

Balgin
    • Succubus

Yep. This one was recorded around the same time they released their first session. It was an honest coincidence. The next few sessions have been uploaded. I’ve still got a backlog of about 30 more for this campaign and some other stuff to upload as well. I hope you enjoy listening to how two different groups tackle the same adventure.

Lockhart
    • Owlbear

Can’t wait for those other episodes to upload. I’m fairly interested in this series myself. It’s great fun from my perspective, having read and prepped the ins and outs of the adventure, to see how another GM has approached the same situations, what changes you’ve made, and overall how your party did.

Question: 30 session, where abouts are you guys? Any TPKs on your game yet?

side note: It’s also been something of a pleasure bumping into you on other Shattered Star threads on the Paizo forums. Cheers Balgin!

Balgin
    • Succubus

NO TPK’s although it came really close one or two sessions later. While characters deaths have been rare they have been quite poignant and meaningful. We pick up two new characters at the end of book 1/beginning of book 2 and the party’s survivability increases significantly at that point.

Balgin
    • Succubus

I’m fairly interested in this series myself. It’s great fun from my perspective, having read and prepped the ins and outs of the adventure, to see how another GM has approached the same situations, what changes you’ve made, and overall how your party did.

You might appreciate the fact that Paul & I played in Tarstarkes’ Crimson Throne campaign (which was, alas, not recorded) so there’s a lot of appreciation and moments of realisation in book 2 of Shattered Star (also a couple of references to in jokes such as the fact that my dwarf kept calling Cressida Croft Cressida Crosswell because he thought it suited her better). Oh we had a lot of fun with that campaign (which did pretty much hit a total party whipeout in book 4 involving some nameless beast with a limitless ammount of tentacles and a stupidly big cmb).

Also the end of book 2 of Crimson Throne is largely responsible for the phrase “wicked wizard of the pit” which may crop up from time to time. It’s a real shame we did not record that session as there was a truly epic moment when my dwarf dived into the lift, dragged Paul’s gnome inside and wrenched the lever all on -4 or -5 hit points in die hard mode.

Ah well, I’d best get busy preparing some more of the backlog for upload then :).

Lockhart
    • Owlbear

Has your party gotten to book three yet? I’ll be interested to see how you and they handled the Seugathi, which is more or less a perfect recipe for a TPK if run as is, and Berkanin, which was the encounter that TPKed the RPGMP3 Pros.

Balgin
    • Succubus

Has your party gotten to book three yet?

You know I honestly can’t tell you as we’re set to start our next session in an hour or so. Last week’s session ended in area L20 of book 2 for those of you following along at home.

If we pulled another mega 8 hour session (like we did to finish book 1) and they don’t interract with a single npc along the way and skip a few rooms I’d rather they didn’t skip then we should finish book 2 tonight. So I’m thinking another 3-5 sessions realistically. Perhaps 2 at a push.

I’ll be interested to see how you and they handled the Seugathi, which is more or less a perfect recipe for a TPK if run as is

Seugathi? Oh that. I called it a Neothelid (’cause that’s blatantly what it is :P). Neothelid.

It will be interesting. You’ll just have to wait and see won’t you?

Lockhart
    • Owlbear

I dunno, it’s a far cry from Neolithid, It’s large as opposed to the Neolithid’s Gargantuan, It’s based around weakening and taking over and confusing opponents, while the Neolithid it pretty much a combat worm with mostly blasty psionic stuffs. CR 6 (Hah!) versus CR 15. Not going to say there isn’t physical similarities, but mechanically they are very very different creatures. And just because it is an aberrant worm creature, doesn’t mean it has to be a copy of another aberrant worm creature. But, your campaign world, you get to flavour it as you like.

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Not to mention the fact that the Neothelid has its own Pathfinder stats. 😉

To add to the confusion, it seems that Neolithid and Neothelid are both used as names for the same critter. Whuh?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.