Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ThistledownJohn
    • Gelatinous Cube

File Name: Heroes of the Highmarch Session 02

File Submitter: ThistledownJohn

File Submitted: 29 Mar 2015

File Category: Dungeons and Dragons 5e

Genre: Fantasy

Profanity Level: Jolly Sweary Indeed

https://www.rpgmp3.com/files/game_recordings/Thistledown_Gamers_Guild/Highmarch02.mp3

Attacking the Bandit Camp

The trouble at the ferry has been sorted, but the bandits have fled! Being a group of red-blooded young adventurers, the group is in pursuit

The Players

Dan – Rhaeghar, Dragonborn Cleric

Dave – Baldor Forkbeard, Dwarf Fighter

Nathan – Aradin Palladium, Human Wizard

Drew – Sszzyr, Drow Rogue

I’m using Obsidian Portal to track the game, please check out the link below…

https://heroes-of-th…idianportal.com

Click here to download this file

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

So, Drew is playing a dark elf, huh? Have you already let him suffer all the “Drew the Drow” puns you could think of? 😉 If the sunlight hyper-sensitivity becomes too much of an issue, you could consider letting him have some Riddick goggles.

Nice to hear Dan having fun with his clerical Thaumaturgy. @[member=”Thing”] seems to enjoy it a lot, too, in the Phandelver campaign.

BTW, that Color Spray description sounded tremendously over-powered. Does the 5E version really kill the targets outright? It used to be a simple stunning effect or similar, in all the previous editions. Also, is it true that it doesn’t allow the target a saving throw? If so, it could be rather dangerous if an NPC used it against the adventurers:

Let’s look at that wizard’s spell list. We’re all pretty familiar with Color Spray and Sleep, or so I assume. If you look at those spells closely, neither of those spells allow their targets to make saving throws. That’s right: you just roll a number of dice and BAM, your opponents are out for the count. So, imagine what this would mean in the hands of NPCs. The enemy wizard casts Color Spray, rolls high, and the party is knocked out. There would be no rolls on their part, no player agency. They would just be unconscious and easily killed by the cultists.

This is a problem. Players crave – no, need – agency. Spells that are available at level 1 that outright deny their targets any form of resistance besides “Don’t worry, I might roll all 1’s” are really, really bad from a design perspective. The spells are all great from level 1, too. You’re not chucking a 1d10 firebolt or somesuch; you’re rolling several dice to knock a dude out and make him easy pickings for your party. Actually, you’re rolling several dice to knock multiple dudes out. And they get no save.

@[member=”Hal”] would no doubt approve greatly of your lengthy moral debate about what you should do with the captured bandit. 🙂 He certainly made plenty of remarks to that effect in the Phandelver campaign, when a similar situation arose. (Even if he might not approve of your Lawful Ruthless handling of your captive, e.g.: “He managed to fall down while tied to this pole – several times”.)

Be careful if you’re going to put halflings in diapers and stick a pacifier in their mouth. They might turn into Baby Herman.

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Hey – I am all for player autonomy with their character as long as there is some level of internal consistency 😛

Hal :hal:

Lucky_Strike
    • Orc

A well executed bandit takedown, very fun illusion use.

Interesting to hear the bit of pantheon discussion as well and know that the lightning god temple is out there waiting for a visit. The maps on obsidian portal are well done.

ThistledownJohn
    • Gelatinous Cube

BTW, that Color Spray description sounded tremendously over-powered. Does the 5E version really kill the targets outright? It used to be a simple stunning effect or similar, in all the previous editions. Also, is it true that it doesn’t allow the target a saving throw? If so, it could be rather dangerous if an NPC used it against the adventurers:

We totally screwed that up!  :O

Somehow, we thought it was supposed to do damage instead of causing blindness.  Oh well, it’s not like I’ve been reading the spell since 1980…or is it?  😮

ThistledownJohn
    • Gelatinous Cube

A well executed bandit takedown, very fun illusion use.

Interesting to hear the bit of pantheon discussion as well and know that the lightning god temple is out there waiting for a visit. The maps on obsidian portal are well done.

Thank you!  I really love using Obsidian Portal.

I did the maps using Hexographer…

http://www.hexographer.com

ThistledownJohn
    • Gelatinous Cube

While I’m at it, here are a couple of snaps from the game.  We’ve been using minis and 3D terrain quite extensively.  In later sessions, I used some dungeon and cavern tiles that I crafted.

Here is the bandit camp…

temporary_zpsgg3d44ar.jpg

temporary_zps8o200ayq.jpg

Lucky_Strike
    • Orc

We totally screwed that up! :O

Somehow, we thought it was supposed to do damage instead of causing blindness. Oh well, it’s not like I’ve been reading the spell since 1980…or is it? 😮

Perhaps you all were just thinking of the Excellent Prismatic Spray.

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer
    ThistledownJohn
    • Gelatinous Cube

I shouldn’t be surprised that an Illusionist tricked us in to electing him President.  😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.