Forums Gaming Chat Roleplaying Houston gaming podcasts – Max's Minions & The Gauntlet

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

@[member=”Hal”] has mentioned his desire to start a gaming con in the Houston area on several occasions. Getting sufficient traction just from the limited number of RPGMP3 affiliates in the area is probably unfeasible – but what if the site teamed up with a couple of other local RPG Actual Play podcasts?

For example, you could try reaching out to The Gauntlet… (Also available on Facebook.)

n3p2ew.png

…Or Max’s Minions.

mza_8591764070452516177.600x600-75.jpg

https://twitter.com/Maxs_Minions/status/590328952549322752

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

You know – thats not a bad idea 🙂

Houston has a comic con and a small gaming con at Rice but nothing the size it deserves 🙂

Hal :hal:

Sênstaku
    • Bullywug

less than $200 to fly from Atlanta to Houston…

I’d consider going to a con with you guys at it 🙂

Telemergion
    • Owlbear

Over $500 to fly from Winnipeg to Houston. 

I’ll be there in spirit.

BigJackBrass
    • Drider

I’m not even going to check the airfare from Manchester…

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

You know – thats not a bad idea 🙂

Houston has a comic con and a small gaming con at Rice but nothing the size it deserves 🙂

Even if you don’t get a con up and running, you could consider making guest appearances in each other’s podcasts.

Bullock Borneoake
    • Commoner

I wasn’t kidding when I said it’d be a bad idea to volunteer to sit in the same room as our DM, Cameron.  He’s an insufferable Brit that actively tries to kill us.  The fact that our podcast made it past two episodes is still a shock to me. 🙂

Someone at Comicpalooza reached out to us about our podcast back in January, then never followed up after we replied and we got no further response when we contacted their Social Media department in April to inquire about that, so we’re figuring they had no interest in promoting or doing anything with us.

Which is fine.  We wouldn’t do anything with us either, to be honest.

When the subject first came up, we had no idea what they wanted with us to begin with: doing a “live” version of the podcast, a la Acquisitions, Incorporated, was not something we were prepared to do, nor did we think we could pull it off.  It’s amazing how much editing can make you sound entertaining and turn six hours of dreck into three hours of something marginally tolerable. 🙂

That, and our fan base isn’t exactly what we’d call large.  As best I can figure, it’s about 1,000 listeners, give or take a 100.  And almost none of them are actually in Houston.  We actually maintain a sizable (and confusing) contingency of fans in the UK and Australia.

I don’t know what we’d bring to a convention, but I’m always up for entertaining options.

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

I wasn’t kidding when I said it’d be a bad idea to volunteer to sit in the same room as our DM, Cameron. He’s an insufferable Brit that actively tries to kill us.

Wow! Sounds like he might be your long-lost twin brother, @[member=Hal]. 😉

Maybe we should send someone over to the Max’s Minions forums as a diplomatic envoy, now that they’ve graciously visited us.

By the way @[member=”Bullock Borneoake”], was your podcast inspired by The Thundermans show? 😉

I don’t know what we’d bring to a convention, but I’m always up for entertaining options.

Perhaps it would be more worthwhile to do some kind of special crossover podcast episode? Some of the audio contributors on the site, including the site owner & Grand Poobah himself, Richard “Hal” Halpin, are located near the Houston area, and might be able to arrange a physical face-to-face tabletop gaming meet-up. (Hal’s been complaining about the lack of IRL tabletop roleplaying opportunities lately, as opposed to the online G+ hangout roleplaying sessions he’s been doing – and recording – with people from as far away as Canada and the UK, to sate his urges.)

Even if Hal can’t make it, @[member=”TheGlen”] might live a little closer to the FLGS that Max’s Minions’ use for their regular gaming, IIRC. Glen is something of a gaming celebrity – for example, you may have heard of the list of Things Mr. Welch Is No Longer Allowed to Do in an RPG. 😛 , Plus (judging by the audio sessions he’s participated in, here on the site) a very entertaining player.

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Ooooh Houston gamers on the site and podcasting games no less 🙂 Local people who feel my pain 😛

Monkey – I wasn’t quite sure where to post a general hello on the Minions forum… also I hate to seem self promotional 🙂 But you are good at that stuff right? 😛

I’ll drop our buddy there a message 🙂

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Monkey – I wasn’t quite sure where to post a general hello on the Minions forum…

Madame Pagoda’s Bathouse and Massage Parlor sounds like a nice, friendly place for a few introductions. 🙂 (You’d think someone named “Pagoda” would own a boathouse, instead of a bathouse…)

also I hate to seem self promotional 🙂 But you are good at that stuff right? 😛

Your an American, now! You’ve gotta be all self-assertive and larger than life, and drop all those silly British inhibitions, like “manners” and whatnot. 😉

Bullock Borneoake
    • Commoner

Answered, received, acknowledged, etc.

When I have some time tonight (during editing), I’ll be able to go into a bit more detail.  Stupid job. 🙂

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Cool 🙂

I’ve run duel GM games in the past – it either goes very well or is total disaster… KABOOM!

Sênstaku
    • Bullywug

Self promotion is easy Hal, just lose all sense of shame.

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I have always been terrible at it – It makes me feel pushy and rude 🙁

Also I guess I lack a little confidence to do it – which is weird because I can talk in front of 100s of people with no problem… 🙂

Bullock Borneoake
    • Commoner

Self-promotion always makes me feel… I don’t know… sleazy?  I mean, you have to sorta do it, but then when you do, you feel kinda dirty… I always get that feeling of being an attention whore or something.  It’s weird.

So, as far as gaming cons go, Houston right now, as far as I know, has three basic options.

• Owlcon – which is pretty much the granddaddy of them all, but it’s small and not easily accessible to the masses.
    • Comicpalooza – which I’ve never attended, so I don’t know how the gaming stacks up there
    • Space City Con – which I attended last in 2013; the gaming was erratic, schedules were virtually meaningless and the Pathfinder and miniature war gaming folks essentially dominated the whole thing for two days.  Not enough space, not enough coordination, and there wasn’t “something for everyone”, which I think is important.

Now, my son and I attended PAX South in San Antonio in January and, while definitely slanted more towards the electronic gamer, they at least had the tabletop gaming sorted out right.  A massive library where you could freely check out games using your driver’s license; multiple tournaments staggered throughout the day, huge sections carved out for the MtG and other card-game folks.  A big vendor section set up right outside the gaming where you could peruse, talk to game makers, demo new games, learn to play stuff, and buy right there on the spot.

If I had to “build” a gaming con, the PAX South format is what I’d use as a baseline.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • The forum ‘Roleplaying’ is closed to new topics and replies.