Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter World’s Largest Dungeon I’m willing to process WLD mp3s

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    tmccort
    • Commoner

I really enjoy your audio recordings but the problem is that there is too much of a difference in volume depending on the situation. For example at one moment everyone will be speaking softly so I turn up the volume to hear, then someone gets excited or starts laughing, which almost breaks my eardrums.

I’ve done a few tests with some simple dynamics processing and a hiss reduction filter (artifact of the dynamics processing), the result of which sounds great in my opinion.

To do all 23 sessions would take about 10 hours of processing, so maybe first you would want a sample? Though I don’t have anywhere I could post it.

Anonymous
    • Owlbear

Now that sounds potentially very good!

riddles
    • Succubus

Do they really need them?

Haven’t listened to the early ones for a while now, but the later ones sound pretty good to me…

tmccort
    • Commoner

When does it start to get better then, because I’m listening to 7-2 right now and the range is pretty high.

Anonymous
    • Owlbear

I’m up to 23 and I’d say they have had this problem the whole way.

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

I would contact Hal and ask for a lengthy section of a full quality MP3, process and then send the results back where they could be put up here for comparison by all. Hal has all episodes archived at 64KBPS/44Khz.

We’d love to be able to give the best quality audio we can.

One day perhaps wireless mics with a mixer (and Balazaar set on -5) 🙂

If anyone has any recommednations on wireless mics, would love to hear!

Salubrai
    • Succubus

Perhaps if someone were willing to put up the money FOR those mics! (laughing) Or donate them.

Oy, don’t look at me for the money, my dungeon is bloody empty too! The halfling told me so!

Cob37
    • Gelatinous Cube

As long as we’re talking files and stuff, someone point me in the direction of a noise reducing program, preferably a free d/l like I did with my audio recorder and wav to mp3 converter software, free and work great!

Salubrai
    • Succubus

I use a free one to boost RPGMP3 files before reconverting them, but it’s pretty simplistic. It’s not all that good for normalising, but doing volume lowers or rises – it works very well, and analyses correctly too.

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

Anonymous
    • Owlbear

I have tried to level the volume in the past and understand that there are some parts of the audio that are quiet, but I found that levelling the audio as a whole made the file less “emotional”. I felt that it lost some of the excitablilty of the players and generally led to a much blander audio.

It should be possible to edit the file and normalise the audio so that it is much more even. I think it is a matter of personal preference.

The easiest way to do it is to get access to the Patrons files (which are raw and unedited and recorded at 64KBPS/44Khz). Then you can fiddle them to your hearts content 😛

Anyway, enjoying the weather in our Nations Fine Capital at the moment! Best get back at it! Lindsay says hello 😀

Hal :hal:

PS Excuse the Guest Login 😛

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘World’s Largest Dungeon’ is closed to new topics and replies.