Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

I like correcting stuff. The ninth circle of hell has 4 levels. The final level contains satan who is consuming the bodies of three people: Brutus, Cassius and Judas.

Salubrai
    • Succubus

Only if you subscribe to the Dantesque vision of Inferno. It doesn’t apply in the D&D one.

Stop correcting things. Please. You’re on a board of fellow nerds.

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

Aww, but dante is cool.

anyway, sorry.

Wellard
    • Orc

I especially like the vision of the Popes upside down in red hot brazen urns.But then Dante was a follower of Savanerola

Salubrai
    • Succubus

I think it’s more telling when you realise who Dante has placed in Paradise. Reading the political footnotes gives you a whole new appreciation for the fact that Dante believed if you disagreed with him, you’re GOING TO HELL. 🙂

I think it’s fair to say we wouldn’t have the D&D planar cosmology in exactly the same way as it is now without good old Dante.

EegahInc
    • Gelatinous Cube

Ah, the good old Renaissance. Actually, I’m a little fuzzy on dates, but I think Dante was around a little before Savonarola. Doesn’t matter, either way, I think they would have gotten along just fine.

What I’m more curious about is why all the people at my local Renaissance Festival here in the states speak with bad fake English accents rather than bad fake Italian accents?

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

because the italian renaissance died while the northern european renaissance was just getting into full swing. The English and French remember the renaissance better because it was more recent for them.

And because Americans suck.

EegahInc
    • Gelatinous Cube

Dang, M ❗ Blasting Americans and The Pope (in another thread) in two minutes time. You’re on a roll this evening. Keep this up and everyone will have to chip in for a copy of “How To Win Friends And Influence People”….er, I mean, Influence Character Races. Don’t want to be exclusive.

You’re probably right about the Renn Fest people, but still, it’d be a hoot to have someone trying to sell me a turkey leg while doing a bad Father Guido Sarducci imitation. 😉

Salubrai
    • Succubus

It’s supposedly ok. M is a self-hating American.

As for the accents – As opposed to Paul doing a bad Translyvanian accent, no? Roleplayers in all countries do bad accents. I have noted that as hard to believe as it may seem, Japanese roleplayers here try to fake AMERICAN accents because they are often convinced that RPGs should reflect Hollywood rather than England.

Mentioning that, however, I do wonder what kind of accent predominates in Faerun.

I will say that it is true that I think fake accents are absurd – moreso for the fact that most people think they’re great at them, and they’re awful. I have rarely met someone who could ACTUALLY put on an accent and do it correctly. However, if someone is going to dress up in an anachronistic outfit and pretend to be a knight while hitting folk with a wooden sword, I suppose very few things are really out of bounds. Also, seeing as how Renaissance Festers cannot SPEAK other languages very often, it would be a bit silly for them to be speaking in accents and yet not the real language if they really want to be authentic.

People might find it interesting that gamers here in Japan have a tendency to dress up as video game or anime characters. But I can honestly say that people do not regularly dress up as Samurai and go to the “Tokugawa Festival”. Hee hee.

So, now that I’m completely off topic, let me just say – silly accents are SILLY. Nobody does them right. But come now! People are dressing up as dukes, lords and vassals here…

Salubrai
    • Succubus
    EegahInc wrote:

You’re probably right about the Renn Fest people, but still, it’d be a hoot to have someone trying to sell me a turkey leg while doing a bad Father Guido Sarducci imitation. 😉

There was a very funny MST3K skit about the Renaissance Festival, where they put on this terrible little fake RF just to bilk Mike out of his money. It was a bit ironic, though…. “Welcome to thee olde spanking pavilion, only ten bucks!”

Ahem

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

Yeah, I don’t actually just hate the pope and all that, I just am slightly suspicious.

anyway, stupid americans. I’m so full of self loathing there is only JUSt enough room for me to loathe EVERYBODY else. 😛 So you all suck to, just differently. Actually, maybe you all blow. I’ll have to decide.

Face
    • Gelatinous Cube

I’m not that damn bad. I turn away Jehovah’s Witnesses politely.

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

*knock knock*

*click ca-chink*

Hehehehehehehehe.

Sorry, Jehovahs witnesses are cool. I actually talk to them for a long time if they get here past like 10am. I take their pamphlets and offer to give them to my friends. So, my friends hate me, but besides that, its all good.

EegahInc
    • Gelatinous Cube
    Shathis wrote:
    I have noted that as hard to believe as it may seem, Japanese roleplayers here try to fake AMERICAN accents because they are often convinced that RPGs should reflect Hollywood rather than England.

Now you’ve got my imagination going. Who do they try to emulate?!? Ahnold was Conan and Dolph was He-Man. No American accents there. LOTR was mostly English accents. I guess they could go for Marc Singer (Beastmaster) but that’s pretty obscure. And I’m sure they avoided the D&D movie as much as the rest of us.

Please, oh please, don’t tell me their half-orc barabarians sound like a Japanese Keanu 😯 The mind boggles.

riddles
    • Succubus

I may have dreamt this but on the subject of accents, I think I remember reading that Shakespeare (pretty much English renaissance) would have sounded like he came from the Bronx.

Received pronunciation (aka Queen’s English aka Wot everyone else thinks the British sound like) started in Victorian times…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘World’s Largest Dungeon’ is closed to new topics and replies.