Forums Archive Non RPG Chatter LARP Lindsay, Hal, and new players’ LARP experience

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Salubrai
    • Succubus

I am curious as this topic has not often been addressed – do Hal, Lindsay or any of the new LoL/ToH players have LARP experience? I can assume Lindsay does from the occasional hint dropped, but I would like to know. What was your last LARP experience, and did you enjoy it generally or find it to be odd and unentertaining.

A lot of varied opinions seem to predominate about LARPing. People either truly love it or hate it.

ross
    • Gelatinous Cube

i LOOOOVVEEEE larp!!

the last game over this end was lock down , a cross betwean paranoa(whithot the humor ) and ciber punk

we all got loked in a celler and ended up killing each other

was fabulas

befror that it was a vapire thing whare i got to be an insane nosfarate whith a grudge agenst the world and a death whish

BigJackBrass
    • Drider
    Shathis wrote:
    A lot of varied opinions seem to predominate about LARPing. People either truly love it or hate it.

Truly LARP is the Marmite of gaming.

Balgin
    • Succubus

Why do americans feel the need to add Action to Live Roleplay? Seriously, it’s been LRP over here for years (but a few people started adding A’s ’cause they heard the americans saying it first :().

eformo
    • Gelatinous Cube
    Balgin wrote:
    Why do americans feel the need to add Action to Live Roleplay? Seriously, it’s been LRP over here for years (but a few people started adding A’s ’cause they heard the americans saying it first :().

LARP rhymes with harp. LRP, well, that’s just a bunch of letters and you have to painstakingly and laboriously pronounce each and every one of them. I mean, “El Are Pee” is three whole syllables while “LARP” is just one.

Such time saving inventions are the stuff upon which modern society is built!! 😛

-Pete

neongrey
    • Bullywug
    eformo wrote:
    LARP rhymes with harp. LRP, well, that’s just a bunch of letters and you have to painstakingly and laboriously pronounce each and every one of them. I mean, “El Are Pee” is three whole syllables while “LARP” is just one.

Nah, it’s totally pronounced to rhyme with ‘burp’.

ross
    • Gelatinous Cube

so we got any other larp(lrp)ers hear?

Fox
    • Thri-kreen

I once did a brief tour of duty doing some World of Darkness LARP’ing shortly after I graduated high school. It was a lot of fun. Some of the better and more intense role-playing I’ve experienced was from that brief sojourn.

Balgin
    • Succubus
    eformo wrote:

Nah, we just all say Live Roleplay quickly :).

firepixie
    • Bullywug

What can I say – I’ve been LRPing for over 20 years now on and off 😀 mostly off now due to people moving away 🙁 and the ever-increasing sense of not being able to suspend belief in the same way any more 😕 is it an age thing ❓

I enjoy playing a character that’s part of a group or being crew and playing loads of different characters over the weekend as required or getting involved in the organising (ususally on the catering side) and writing – so basically most of it 8)

Played in many different genres over the years all over the country and have usually had a great time and made many, many friends (and a few enemies probably as well but we don’t talk about them).

Unusually I started LRPing before I started any other form of gaming.

Logan9a
    • Bullywug
    ross wrote:
    so we got any other larp(lrp)ers hear?

I’ve got about a decade worth of experience doing a LARP (it was called NERO). I’ve written four in game books

http://www.nerochronicles.com/index.php … &Itemid=53

That can be found at the link above (as well as more info on the larp I did)

I’ve also written articles such as “

What should I bring to my first event?” which can be found here:

http://www.nerochronicles.com/index.php … &Itemid=49

And had a couple of things written up on the net about Lumsie (do a Google search – there aren’t too many Lumsie’s out there).

If you have any very specific questions I might be able to refer you to something but I don’t know any game systems or LARP’s other than NERO.

Hope that helps,

Logan

swj719
    • Succubus

LARP is to gaming what pantomime is to theater.

Isis
    • Succubus
    swj719 wrote:

What, you’re more likely to get a pie in the face?

😀

Sinister-Ornament
    • Gelatinous Cube

BEHIND YOU!

Sorry I could resist 😆

Qwaz
    • Thri-kreen
    swj719 wrote:

Rofl, cruel but funny.

I’ve never larped so i shouldn’t pass judgement or become hypocritical beyond belief. I will voice my utter confusion over the subject though.

DnD sits you down and you create a character and you use dice to find out how well he did at something while playing an adventure. Neat, tidy, done. Kinda – Some argue you should Roll-play roleplaying encounters (especially those who don’t like talking incharacter and get embarassed *shrug*) as you wouldn’t ask the 15th level rogue to act out his tumbling through blade barrier. Some DM’s apparently feel it’s perfectly acceptable to ask their bard to sing.

Anyway, it’s a fair point. The fighter player probably doesn’t fence so why should the taciturn bard player be expected to produce the gift of the gab?

Onto larp and now there are no dice at all? So does everyone take an intensive course in parkour? Are larpers the fittest gamers you’ll find on the planet? if not then it’s the DND scenario in reverse. How do you even handle combat? What constitutes a hit? Do you just slug it out fight-club style and the last man to tap out wins (That would rock!)? To me it seems a little hard to manage a DND monster style game in lrp but maybe an investigative mystery style of game would do well?

My thoughts after typing were that in a dnd game where the DM is expecting proper roleplay then people should play to type. The more chatty players should look tothe social clases…bards/rogues/sorcerors and paladins while the quieter guys can roleplay through their actions as the LG-figther; the tounge-tied, low-vocab, illiterate barbarian (Bragdor smash!) or the disdainful wizard.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • The forum ‘LARP’ is closed to new topics and replies.