Forums Archive Non RPG Chatter LARP Lindsay, Hal, and new players’ LARP experience

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Jaycen
    • Flumph
    firepixie wrote:
    People, I’m kind of offended by some of the generalities being put upon those who LARP in this thread, and I don’t often put up posts like this but I actually feel quite strongly about this 😯

That’s exactly why I was trying to couch my statements.

firepixie wrote:
    I must admit to having met some of those you have described during my time doing LRP (as we’ve always called it) but I’ve also met many highly educated, sociable, talented professionally employed (i.e. doctors, lawyers, pilots etc..) people who were looking for an outlet for their talents and interests such as costume making, singing/playing instruments, history, acting etc.. and who also want a good laugh, a chance to use their imagination and quite often some fresh air and exercise as well 8)

Undoubtedly. I knew a gynocologist who LARPed and he was pretty normal and very successful. However, I was talking about the majority of people I’ve met, not the one.

firepixie wrote:
    Maybe you should put yourself in the postion of Joe Public who’s only ever played board games such as monopoly when they were a kid, take yourself to a role-play convention, 😕 look at it through their eyes and see how many of the comments that you’ve made about those who LARP which they would apply to those who sit round a table with a few dice and a piece of paper and just talk about what they are doing ❗

I am. I think it takes a certain type of personality type (or a narrow range of them) to play RPGs and like it. I not only don’t LARP, but I don’t attend Cons either. I’ve been to 1 and that was enough for me. Mostly, I just don’t like large crowds of people.

firepixie wrote:
    I will say that over the years I’ve had both good and bad experiences, but I also have many, many fond memories 😀 of the times and places I’ve spent LRPing and the people I’ve met, many of whom have remained good friends.

Not having a personal dig at anyone here – but don’t knock it until you’ve tried it and if you don’t like the group of LRPers you find initially, look for others. There are many different types of LRP out there run by many different groups of people so you should be able to find one you can fit into.

T

I did try to give my impression (and that’s what it is) of LARP based on my contact with people who participate in the activity. I was careful not to be nasty.

My post was specifically about my personal experience. I get to have an opinion and it’s an informed opinion. I’ve met a lot of LARPers.

On my side of it, it doesn’t upset me at all that RPG players have the stigma they have. In fact, it’s funny to me because me and my group are all pretty good-looking, fairly successful, in-shape, well-adjusted people. I like to say that “we make gaming look cool.”

Still, it’s a stereotype that we live with, and it always comes up when we tell “normal” people what we do in our free time. If the truth upsets you, then don’t do it, or lie to people when they ask (we play cards on Saturday night).

Jaycen
    • Flumph
    Stacey wrote:

I’ve got to say, you are definately not fat. You have some very lovely curves. I mean that in a completely Hetero way. (girls without curves look like teenage boys IMO)

QFT

Er, I didn’t look up any pics, but I agree with my wife – skinny chics look like boys. Ick.

I’d much prefer a woman with a little extra than one with not enough. WORD.

Jaycen
    • Flumph
    Balgin wrote:
    Paper scissors stone (I don’t know why americans call the stone a rock and then insist on putting it first)…

Because Rock, Paper, Scissors sounds cooler. Rock gives it that element of “Rock & Roll”, which we invented. Also, single, single, dual consonant sounds are more pleasing to the ear. Also…stone is something you get, not something you use to smash stuff.

Anyway, nothing beats….Tiger Hand!!!

Balgin
    • Succubus
    Jaycen wrote:
    Because Rock, Paper, Scissors sounds cooler.

Exept for the fact that it blatantly doesn’t.

swj719
    • Succubus
    Balgin wrote:
    Jaycen wrote:

There’s also the posibiloty that the people who started it here in the states were morons, and those who propagate it’s incorrect name are also morons…

🙂

BigJackBrass
    • Drider
    Jaycen wrote:

I have a badge that states, “ROCK IS DEAD! Long live paper and scissors.

centauri
    • Owlbear
    Balgin wrote:
    Jaycen wrote:

Irresistible Force, meet Immovable Object.

woojitsu
    • Gelatinous Cube
    centauri wrote:

Now if we can only think of a good third, we’ll have a really cool name for the game.

eformo
    • Gelatinous Cube
    woojitsu wrote:
    centauri wrote:

Now if we can only think of a good third, we’ll have a really cool name for the game.

Chuck Norris? No, neither of those could beat Chuck Norris, not even if they teamed up….

Lindsay
    • Succubus

Chuck Norris successfully seperated twins conjoined at the head by roundkicking them in the face.

BigJackBrass
    • Drider

AAAGGGHH!!! You’ve set her off with the Chuck Norris thing again!

woojitsu wrote:
    centauri wrote:

Given that this is the Internet, how about Ill-informed Opinion? 😀

Stacey
    • Orc

I present to you Rock/Paper/Scissors Peace Conference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKzII_d4B5s

swj719
    • Succubus
    Lindsay wrote:
    Chuck Norris successfully seperated twins conjoined at the head by roundkicking them in the face.

Once, while having sex in a tractor-trailer, part of Chuck Norris’ sperm escaped and got into the engine. We now know this truck as Optimus Prime.

woojitsu
    • Gelatinous Cube
    Stacey wrote:

😆

Stacey
    • Orc
    woojitsu wrote:
    Stacey wrote:

😆

Scissors cracked me up! “I’ll f’n cut you!”

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • The forum ‘LARP’ is closed to new topics and replies.