Forums RPGMP3 Podcast Audio Actual Play Recordings RPGMP3 Dungeons and Dragons Next (5e) Lost Mine of Phandelver Session 02

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

File Name: Lost Mine of Phandelver Session 02

File Submitter: Hal

File Submitted: 20 Jul 2014

File Category: Dungeons and Dragons Next (5e)

Genre: Fantasy
    Profanity Level: Jolly Sweary Indeed

https://www.rpgmp3.com/files/game_recordings/RPGMP3/audio/lost_mine_of_phandelver_session_02.mp3

http://youtu.be/572Pp-ko_kk

The party continue to explore the goblin cave looking for their patron and his bodyguard. There is a little deal-making and some goblins meet a sticky end along with their boss. Hal is mostly disappointed at the performance of his boss monster.

The second session of the new Dungeons and Dragons Next (5e) adventure from the Starter Set. Follow out adventurers as they barter with goblins, stand behind the fighter who does nothing but dodge and fight a depressing bugbear boss.

Featuring:

Lindsay as Marigold Mudpetal – Stout Halfling Rogue and buzzsaw killing machine

Thing as Thror Rumnaheim – Hill Dwarf Cleric of Moradin and caster of many more spells this session

Heather as Heleh Thornvast – High Elf Wizard and surprisingly tolerant wife of Rodrick

Nick as Guybrush Threpwood – Wood Elf Rogue and full time arrow attractor and unconscious party member

Lockhart as Rodrick Hellbeater – Human Fighter and serial dodger who likes to make combats so much longer

Hal as the Dungeon Master , running a cast of badly trained goblins and other inferior beasties

Click here to download this file

Balgin
    • Succubus

Wow. Clearly the goblins are trying to remove the copyright infringement from the game.

BigJackBrass
    • Drider

Follow out adventurers as they barter with goblins, stand behind the fighter who does nothing but dodge and fight a depressing bugbear boss.

Selling this one hard, I see 😀

Lockhart
    • Owlbear

I like to make combats safer for the party Hal, not longer. In theory, I contribute very little to making combats longer, as all I do is protect the party, and we do want the party to survive combats. I wholly believe that if I had chosen just to attack, those last couple combats would have resulted in a TPK or some character deaths (or drops) and a losing retreat. Though I suppose yes, they would’ve been quicker.

Lockhart
    • Owlbear

The youtube comments are being filled by a helpful watcher who is pointing out some of the rules we missed or flubbed. Worth checking out for those who want to learn the system. And while you’re there, maybe give the video a Thumbs Up to help it be picked up by more interested parties.

nele
    • Commoner

Well that was entertaining. Good to see Tryhardbrush living up to his name. Maybe one of these days you will shine like a Folk Hero you are. 😀

But yea lockhart, your choice was golden. As was said in the video comments, that could have easily gone the TPK route, so good on ya for finding the Dodge action.

thad
    • Thri-kreen

Only at the beginning of this, and while you can claim that if someone comes up to an unconscious person they can outright kill them, the rules say that an attack on an unconscious person counts as an automatic death fail… which means you need to stab them up three times to kill them, which does seem stupid.

Lockhart
    • Owlbear

Only at the beginning of this, and while you can claim that if someone comes up to an unconscious person they can outright kill them, the rules say that an attack on an unconscious person counts as an automatic death fail… which means you need to stab them up three times to kill them, which does seem stupid.

Someone in the video comments mentioned that an attack on an unconcious foe is an automatic crit (need to look it up myself). So, it actually is more dangerous than it sounds.

And auto-matic crit means that massive damage could very well be a thing.

Even if massive damage doesn’t kill, apparently (again, need to see the rules for myself), a crit deals two death fails. Which, if someone has already failed one or fails on their turn, means that one stab could do it.

thad
    • Thri-kreen

Even if massive damage doesn’t kill, apparently (again, need to see the rules for myself), a crit deals two death fails. Which, if someone has already failed one or fails on their turn, means that one stab could do it.

That’s right (he says, remembering). What wasn’t clear to me was if someone stabilised and then got injured again, do they reset their death counts or continue from where they left off?

Lockhart
    • Owlbear

That’s right (he says, remembering). What wasn’t clear to me was if someone stabilised and then got injured again, do they reset their death counts or continue from where they left off?

Second paragraph on death saving throws. When you stabilize, either through three saves in a row or recovering HP, they reset.

What may be a bit silly, is that attacking an unconcious person still requires an attack action, albeit with advantage. That being said, I’m fine with it. It’s happening in less than six seconds with hostiles around you, against foes that have some sort’ve armor. You may not actually be able to hit them so easily. Though, I may consider as a houserule, that if no ally is within reach of the fallen party member, attacks automatically hit. It’s one thing to be distracted because someone is within five feet of the body that could, in theory, hit you. It’s another thing when they’re 10+ feet away.

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I like to make combats safer for the party Hal, not longer. In theory, I contribute very little to making combats longer, as all I do is protect the party, and we do want the party to survive combats. I wholly believe that if I had chosen just to attack, those last couple combats would have resulted in a TPK or some character deaths (or drops) and a losing retreat. Though I suppose yes, they would’ve been quicker.

Hey Lockhart – I was joking 🙂

Hal :hal:

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

The youtube comments are being filled by a helpful watcher who is pointing out some of the rules we missed or flubbed. Worth checking out for those who want to learn the system. And while you’re there, maybe give the video a Thumbs Up to help it be picked up by more interested parties.

That dude seems to be pretty useful 🙂

Perhaps he wrote the game 😀

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Second paragraph on death saving throws. When you stabilize, either through three saves in a row or recovering HP, they reset.

What may be a bit silly, is that attacking an unconcious person still requires an attack action, albeit with advantage. That being said, I’m fine with it. It’s happening in less than six seconds with hostiles around you, against foes that have some sort’ve armor. You may not actually be able to hit them so easily. Though, I may consider as a houserule, that if no ally is within reach of the fallen party member, attacks automatically hit. It’s one thing to be distracted because someone is within five feet of the body that could, in theory, hit you. It’s another thing when they’re 10+ feet away.

I think the attack roll with advantage seems fine – not everyone knows how to kill someone effectively even if they are lying prone on the ground.

I don’t like the idea of having poke someone three times to kill them however, but I guess if someone too weak to cause death my massive damage were trying to coup de grace it might just be that they are slowly having to throttle them to death 🙂

Seems fine as written I guess and it does tend to favour the party a little. Most of the time the party will either zero hit point and kill or zero hit point and knock unconscious a foe. Its really only them and named NPCs that are going to be in the dying / stabilizing state and in risk of coup de grace.

I have no problem with a party member getting extra chances to survive such an ignominious death as being stabbed in the face by a goblin while they are knocked out 🙂

Lockhart
    • Owlbear

I think the attack roll with advantage seems fine – not everyone knows how to kill someone effectively even if they are lying prone on the ground.

I don’t like the idea of having poke someone three times to kill them however, but I guess if someone too weak to cause death my massive damage were trying to coup de grace it might just be that they are slowly having to throttle them to death 🙂

Seems fine as written I guess and it does tend to favour the party a little. Most of the time the party will either zero hit point and kill or zero hit point and knock unconscious a foe. Its really only them and named NPCs that are going to be in the dying / stabilizing state and in risk of coup de grace.

I have no problem with a party member getting extra chances to survive such an ignominious death as being stabbed in the face by a goblin while they are knocked out 🙂

Hal, maybe you missed it, but it would be two pokes maximum, with a fairly good chance that one poke could do it, afterall there is a 45/55 chance that the unconcious PC has either already failed the save or will fail the save when it gets to their initiative, and 1 + the 2 death fails from the auto-crit attack (assuming massive damage doesn’t outright kill), will be enough. PCs are quite fragile once knocked down in this game.

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Ah OK!

That makes sense. I don’t think it is really much harsher than previous editions.

Plus as a loving and caring DM, I am very unlikely to coup de grace a party member unless my monsters would actually do that, there are no other actions available to them or the rest of the party are forced to retreat (and even then I am most likely to take them prisoner for a while before eating them) 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.