Forums RPGMP3 Podcast Audio Actual Play Recordings RPGMP3 Dungeons and Dragons Next (5e) Lost Mine of Phandelver Session 07

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

File Name: Lost Mine of Phandelver Session 07

File Submitter: Hal

File Submitted: 06 Oct 2014

File Category: Dungeons and Dragons Next (5e)

Genre: Fantasy

Profanity Level: Jolly Sweary Indeed

https://www.rpgmp3.com/files/game_recordings/RPGMP3/audio/lost_mines_of_phandelver_session_07.mp3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNmtrTXwjxo

The party venture further into the mansion and find themselves deep in conversation with the much dreaded eye beast. Deals are made and information and trophies are collected and savored.

Session seven of the Dungeons and Dragons Next (5e) adventure from the Starter Set. Follow our adventurers as they talk to creepy monsters and make shady deals like little body snatchers.

Featuring:

Lindsay as Marigold Mudpetal – Stout Halfling Rogue and pug snuggler

Thing as Thror Rumnaheim – Mountain Dwarf Cleric of Moradin and owner of well developed morals

Heather as Heleh Thornvast – High Elf Wizard and super creeped out caster

Nick as Guybrush Threepwood – Wood Elf Rogue and dropper of bodies

Lockhart as Rodrick Hellbeater – Human Fighter and deal maker

Hal as the Dungeon Master, and owner of the creepy one eyed monster

Click here to download this file

WannaGoBro
    • Commoner

I hope one day I can be as creepy as you Hal.

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer
    Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I hope one day I can be as creepy as you Hal.

Thanks 🙂 I practice all the time 😀

Hal :hal:

moonwolf
    • Commoner

i was expecting to hear my pressus lol

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

The way you described the TMEye-Beast, Hal, it sounded more like Medama-Oyaji (“Daddy Eyeball”) from GeGeGe no Kitaro.

GeGeGe+Daddy+Eye-Ball.jpg

But hey, if Nick and Lockhart think he should be called Neal, and dressed like Dr. Horrible, then… 😉

The Nothic:

A Nothic’s gotta do what a Nothic’s gotta do
    Don’t sniff the stiffs if you can’t swallow two
    All that matters
    Taking nibbles from these rotting hands
    Soon I’ll savour everyone
    And suckle on their glands!

GWAR!brush StrepThroat:

Stand back, everyone!
    Nothic’s here for lunch
    Just a few dead people
    Or, as he might call it: brunch!
    Yo, the Elven Hero’s here
    Ears flappin’ inna breeze
    This dungeon needs my vegan expertise
    An elf’s gotta do what an elf’s gotta do
    Heck, I might even stay conscious for round 2
    He’s fright’ning, but recyclin’ corpses is eco-friendly
    So his plans all make sense in the end, see?

HisDivineShadow
    • Orc

Well that’s me caught up now.

So then. When’s the next installment? 😉

clambake
    • Commoner

Heeellllllooooooooooo……..

Needing my Lost Mine fix.  I’ve resorted to going waaay back to the rolemaster sessions (because I love those crit tables!)

Session 8 please!!!!!

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

While you’re all waiting for the next episode, why not join in the discussion on the site and tell Hal and the group what you thought about the adventure so far? 😉 *Nudge nudge wink wink*

Dr_Jomster
    • Orc

They said one eyed guy was creepy… And by Grud they weren’t wrong!

Did WotC really write him to be that freaky? Slight change in pace from the rest of the adventure if they did! 🙂

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Did WotC really write him to be that freaky? Slight change in pace from the rest of the adventure if they did! 🙂

On the contrary, Neil the Eye-Beast (or rather, TMI-Beast) blends perfectly with the rest of the adventure design of the Lost Mines of Phlangedelver Phannydelver.

Consider:

• The party received its first real ‘quest’ from the goblin chief Jimmy, or Yeemick, or whatever his name is – a quest to “get him head”, as @[member=”Thing”] pointed out.
    • While exploring the goblin caves, the adventurers discovered that the writers were extraordinarily fond of the word ‘crevasse’, which makes you suspect they were thinking of something else whilst typing.
    • Some of the most notable treasure the group has found so far was, as mentioned at the start of the episode, beaver pelts. (It’s a shame that Brian from the YGGernauts isn’t a part of this group, he’s got loads of experience with beavers.) 🙂
    • Oh, and speaking of loot, let’s not forget the how much time @[member=”Heather”] spent lovingly caressing the magical Glass Dildo Staff they got from the evil wizard-dude.

Indeed, it seems perfectly reasonable for the party to encounter a monster that can be parlayed with, and who only wants to “savour stiffs by suckling on them”, in an adventure like this.

(However, Hal’s idea of creating Shitstarter – a website where people are threatened to hand over their money or risk being forced to watch videos that Hal filmed of Nick’s bowel movements – is, presumably, not a part of the published adventure.) 😛

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I did ad lib a little with Neil 🙂 But there is the option to play him as an intelligent character who isn’t just there as a nasty monster.

Lucky_Strike
    • Orc

I did ad lib a little with Neil 🙂 But there is the option to play him as an intelligent character who isn’t just there as a nasty monster.

I think you did well with it. For a weird unusually tough monster that was a good approach. From a college friend’s blog discussing the nothic in phandelver:

“It should have weird alien motivations that convince the party to work with it in spite of it being completely and wholly evil.”

http://hackslashmaster.blogspot.com/2014/07/on-phandelvers-part-ii-town-of-phandalin.html?m=1

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Hey 🙂

That seems like where I was heading with it 😀 I figured it was smart enough to not take a party on head on and was more of a subtle opportunist.

I guess you could also run it as a straight combat but it could get nasty pretty quickly.

Hal

BigJackBrass
    • Drider

I guess you could also run it as a straight combat but it could get nasty pretty quickly.

Hal

And that would never do in D&D 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.