Forums RPGMP3 Podcast Audio Actual Play Recordings RPGMP3 Dungeons and Dragons Next (5e) Lost Mine of Phandelver Session 17

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

File Name: Lost Mine of Phandelver Session 17

File Submitter: Hal

File Submitted: 22 Feb 2015

File Category: Dungeons and Dragons Next (5e)

Genre: Fantasy

Profanity Level: Jolly Sweary Indeed

https://www.rpgmp3.com/files/game_recordings/RPGMP3/audio/lost_mines_of_phandelver_session_17.mp3

http://youtu.be/TQ06r7MNfdE

The party travel back to Phandalin and do a little levelling on the way

Click here to download this file

BigJackBrass
    • Drider

“Sex goblets.”

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

😛

Could be worse 😛

Hal :hal:

BigJackBrass
    • Drider

Ah, The Old Grey Whistle Test. Great show, although you probably wouldn’t know it just from that clip…

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Inspired by Guybrush’s discussion with the druid about the Enlarge spell:

v6mf7t.png

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

@[member=Lockhart] should definitely have taken that Mage-Layer feat when he leveled. I’m sure @[member=Heather] would approve. i__m_sexy_and_i_know_it_by_emoji_kun-d5h[Bow-chicka-wow-wow!] llama_emoji_26__sexy_shake___v2__by_jeri

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

There is no limit to the number of disturbing animated gifs and dudes you have access to, Monkey 🙂

It is a great superpower I feel – especially in this day and age. Perhaps not so much a few hundred years ago but right now it is perfect.

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

There is no limit to the number of disturbing animated gifs and dudes you have access to, Monkey 🙂

9dMvf7W.gif

It is a great superpower I feel – especially in this day and age. Perhaps not so much a few hundred years ago but right now it is perfect.

tumblr_lo3ffpobmt1qko4x4o1_400.gif

Telemergion
    • Owlbear

Not sure if this gets covered in a later episode but as I listened to this one just a few minutes ago it is fresh in my mind. I normally don’t like to jump in to tell people they’re doing things wrong but I noticed an odd discrepancy during the level up portion of the episode concerning Heather’s spell selection and I’m wondering if that was something that was changed since the preview rules came out that you guys were using. 

Lockhart says wizards can prepare spells based on Int and class level but adds that different levels of spells cost more to prepare so the combinations are 8 lvl 1 spells, 4 lvl 1s and 2 lvl 2s, etc. My PHB says wizards (and Clerics, and I think those are the only two classes who work this way?) may prepare a number of spells based on Int+class level in any combination of levels so long as they can cast that level of spell. So Hellae (sp?) could prepare a full compliment of 8 level 2 spells, although that would be kinda silly because she can only cast a couple and it’s a waste of most of her spell slots. I actually think the extra cost for higher level spells is interesting, but I’m not sure it’s sustainable.

For instance, once she hits 5th level and learns a lvl 3 spell (Is there a wizard who doesn’t pick fireball? I sure haven’t met them.) of the 9 spell levels she could learn by Lockhart’s system she would use up 3 just for that, leaving only 6 levels for all her lvl 1 and 2 spells. Let’s say she waits until lvl 6 before preparing another lvl 3 spell. She’ll have 3 slots, it seems reasonable to have a choice other than fireball. That uses 6 of 10 possible spell levels for learning things. At lvl 20 with a 20 int if she were to prepare one spell to match each of her single slots for lvls 8 and 9, plus fireball, she’d be left with a paltry 5 levels with which to prepare every other useful utility or damage spell a wizard typically has.

Once again, in a low magic campaign I think that adds an interesting element of strategy to a wizard’s spell selection and 5th Ed is slightly lower magic than other systems of DnD have been however more spells seems more fun to me and that same lvl 20 wizard by the PHB rules would have access to 25 spells of any level they desired, making them much more versatile and sustainable throughout a day of adventuring.

Just thought I’d bring it up. Not a criticism.

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

I normally don’t like to jump in to tell people they’re doing things wrong

Good heavens, no wonder you don’t post much on the forums! 😉

So Hellae (sp?)

Heleh, AFAIK.

Once again, in a low magic campaign I think that adds an interesting element of strategy to a wizard’s spell selection

You’re right, that would be a really neat way of running a low-magic D&D campaign. 🙂

Telemergion
    • Owlbear

You’re right, that would be a really neat way of running a low-magic D&D campaign. 🙂

Thank you for validating my sheer and utter genius.  😛

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.