Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter Dungeons and Dragons 4e More 4e Podcasts Coming Soon??????

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Keener
    • Drider

Welcome new person. 😀

HPLustcraft
    • Commoner

Thanks…er…old person? Wait, I’m 34…

Anyway, good to be here and hopefully I can contribute something useful that doesn’t involve extreme profanity! 😉

L-

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Good luck with that round here 🙂

Welcome to the forums. Nice to have you on board!

Hal :hal:

Vaeron
    • Thri-kreen

“I know there was some discussion in the forums about looking into some 4E adventures with a lot more plot and less open door/battle/open door/battle”

My group made it as far as about halfway through Assault on Nightwyrm Fortress, and I finally had to call it quits. They give up any pretense of roleplaying as that series of modules progresses, you don’t even get to pick what direction to go anymore.

The game session is literally. “You go through the door, there’s a (yourlevel+2) level encounter in it. They have no possessions. There’s only one other door. You go through the door, there’s a (yourlevel+3) encounter in it. They have no possessions. There’s only one other door…”

Ignoring the encounter design for now, which is in fact the weakest part of the modules, it’s inexplicable that anyone would design all of these one-way fortresses with only one entrance and one exit with the boss hanging out (trapped?) at the very end of the set… It’s not even a maze, just one room after the next!

And at our level (19), throwing all those level+n enounters at us was too much. The last session I played one fight (just ONE!), versus just an ordinary batch of monsters, took four hours of uninterrupted dice rolling. Intolerable. Every room has the same experience fight in it, and NO treasure.

I miss earlier editions where, sure, you might have to have thirty fights before you leveled, but there was no artificial mechanic with every encounter inflated to have you level up every 8-10 encounters either. What was wrong with a room with 2 kobolds in it, and maybe 3 kobold reinforcements? I especially disagree with their current formula, where a “level 19” encounter is a level 23 monster and seven level 15 monsters or some such.

I like 4e a lot, I think it’s a neat system. But they need to scrap their entire module design and encounter design system or they’re going to start losing frustrated players. Or just start losing sales on their adventures as DMs chuck WotC’s advise and try to make their game actually, I dunno, fun!

thranduul
    • Orc

Based on the 4e podcasts (along with Lindsay’s less than enthusiastic reception of 4e) as well as the recent comments here, I am thinking to *not* take my group through the same set of modules. Has anyone taken a group through the “Scepter Tower of Spellguard” or other 4e/WotC modules?

"The term "raising a family" has very different context when talking with a Necromancer..."
    --Archmage Thranduul

thad
    • Thri-kreen
    Vaeron wrote:

My group made it as far as about halfway through Assault on Nightwyrm Fortress, and I finally had to call it quits. They give up any pretense of roleplaying as that series of modules progresses, you don’t even get to pick what direction to go anymore.

I’m currently GMing this. Oh dear gods it is badly done. Very much room, door, room, door, room, door… The text describes other places but no-one goes there, so no need to worry about them (and they’re certainly not on the map!)

I’m been skipping encounters (and it doesn’t matter!), and tomorrow will be the final session. Huzzah!

My main frustration with it is that there is an interesting story here about this weird place in the Shadowfell and the affect it has… and yet, the players never find it out! What’s the point? Gaah!

Sonyakdragon
    • Flumph

have to admit my gaming group threw the modules out and the selcted dm started her own world ( yeah thats right we take turns dming) it’s alot more fun now and we have tons of role playing options and other then A little rail roading we are able to choose paths. yeah she went for the your prisoners thats how your together route but hey it worked 😛 shes done better with it then whomever they have wrighting the modules…

So throw away the modules and make your own adventures 😛

Daniel
    • Succubus
    Sonyakdragon wrote:
    ( yeah thats right we take turns dming)

You non-conformist, you!

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I just threw up some Kobold Hall from the Imperial RPG Club. They are doing 4e 🙂

Go getcha fix 🙂

Jodast
    • Thri-kreen

I did this whole long rambling essay about what to listen to and why. At the end I realised I could summarise it into the following three sentences:

1. Listen to the Whartson Hall stuff

2. Anything will do, but SLIDEways in particular.

3. Become a patron, as you get lots more of their stuff, and contrary to what BJB says, they rock and should be listened to by as many people as possible.

Snappyapple
    • Orc

I’d like 4e to be done again too, maybe trying out non-WotC modules or Hal’s own thing.

I still miss Torrin, shame he died, was a favorite after Splug. Had an upbeat yet suicidal attitude towards adventuring, and was a good scaly meat shield/trap detector.

Always hoped he’d realized to mark his enemies though, like, marking everyone he attacks (hit or miss) with his dragonborn breath. Really, he lived a long, long while despite practically not using 2 class features.

CaptainHorn
    • Commoner

hey HAL, are you trying to follow the series of Modules pre-made? or are you just jumping around?

5monkeys
    • Thri-kreen
    CaptainHorn wrote:
    hey HAL, are you trying to follow the series of Modules pre-made? or are you just jumping around?

The Texan group played through Shadowfell and Thunderspire in order. They then played through much of Pyramid of Shadows before losing momentum and deciding to give 4e a break for a while. This was the point when they started playing Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Thanks 🙂

Yes – thats correct. We may well pick up where we wandered off once the desire to play 4e returns 🙂

DMSamuel
    • Bullywug

I agree with much of what has been said here. I don’t necessarily think this is a 4e phenomenon though – it has always seemed very hack-and-slash if you played a module without adjustment (4e just seems to personify it more than the other editions).

I am currently running a campaign in my own setting and not using the modules at all – my players love 4e and I am having a good time with it myself. Because I don’t use the modules I can work many more situations into the game where my players are forced to roleplay (forced may be too strong a word, though).

I am currently listening through the shadowfell podcasts and plan on listening to the others as well (not just 4e, but Warhammer and rolemaster as well) but I would definitely like to hear a home-made module DMed by Hal in the 4e system. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that it will happen, until then I will wait patiently and not complain. There is already enough here for me to enjoy as it is, getting a Hal homebrew 4e podcast would just be icing on the cake.

Maybe some of us should get together and write a module for him to run?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • The forum ‘Dungeons and Dragons 4e’ is closed to new topics and replies.