Forums News and Information Announcements New Feature: Full Karma

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Thing
    Admin
    • Drider

So now we can have the money post

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

We are working on a new enhancement for the site and this is part of that 🙂 I need to change that cash graphic to a gold piece 🙂

I am hoping it might encourage participation in the forums. I see Monkey is very much the leader with regard cash so we best watch out when I turn the rest of this thing on as it will allow you to spend these gold pieces and things and stuff for your profile as well as eldritch powers that can affect the forums in various snazzy ways 🙂

Just have to finish all the back end stuff and it will be live.

Hal :hal:

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Do we get to buy magic items? 😀 We could have little paper doll figures, like they use in Baldur’s Gate, and Diablo, and… pretty much every other computer RPG, really. Or maybe just a special area in the space on the left side of each post, where your avatar and personal information appears, where we could equip all the shinies and loot we acquire for this precious, precious imaginary moolah.

Also, how are the gold pieces values calculated? It looks like each post nets you 1 GP, but the current totals aren’t directly linked to the account’s total number of posts. Is there some complex math going on, getting more gold when your posts get +1 Karma and losing gold when they get -1 Karma? Or something else entirely? Do contributors get gold for uploading audio?

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Yes – there are magic items. They will let you do things to the forums that you currently cannot do.

Paper dolls will be a challenge but it was in the original scope of the site design we did. More likely at this point we will use the space under your avatar, as you mentioned, to allow you to display your loot.

With regards earning gold, there are several factors affecting this. Mostly it is to do with posting in the forums. Different forums will award a different amount of points. Also you get points for start points, replying to posts and also in some cases you can get points for starting a post that others reply to.

In addition it is tied into the Karma system so positive karma will give you gold and negative karma will take it away.

Also, if you are a Patron you generate twice the gold as everyone else for every action 🙂

I’ll give you a full run down when everything is in place and I am turning it loose.

What do you think?

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Why do Admins have a GP count? Aren’t you already gods, or at least GMs (i.e. gods)? You can change the site, willy-nilly, with your mighty admins powers of mightiness, so why would you need GPs? Or is it just in case one of the admins get demoted, they’ve still got some GPs to fall back on? Or is it just too much of a hassle to put in extra code for something that is, essentially, a non-problem? 😉

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I can set it so any group is excluded from the count but it is also for testing purposes 🙂

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

“Testing purposes”, eh?

2011-07-04.jpg

Slartibartfast
    • Gelatinous Cube

A palette, possibly. Probaly not an entire pallet. 😉

Note to self – Must buy spellchecker now I am rich in internet gold.

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

🙂 Everyone is rich! Rich I tells you 🙂

(dives in like Scrooge McDuck)

scrooge-mcduck-swims-in-money-o.gif

Twyst
    • Bullywug

🙂 Everyone is rich! Rich I tells you 🙂

Not everyone, exactly. 

Daniel
    • Succubus

Ha, scrub! 😉

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Ha ha 🙂 OK so, not everyone is rich 🙂

It is primarily calculated by your interactions with various forums and the site as we whole.

Starting threads, replying to thread and using the Karma system will garner GP 🙂

Kolobos
    • Bullywug

Could one, theoretically, almost hypothetically, game the system?

Not that I would, but someone could go through every single post and ‘like’ them all, generating large sums of this mysterious gold.

Or are there safeguards against unsavory shenanigans?

Lockhart
    • Owlbear

I could be wrong, and I haven’t checked behind the scenes on this. But I think there is a limit to the number of likes a user can make in a day. This is mostly coming from remembering a pencil monkey post where he said he wasn’t able to like all of the pictures heather posted in a day.

*may or may not blatantly cheat with admin power*

Slartibartfast
    • Gelatinous Cube

Or just hire a roguish figure….

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • The forum ‘Announcements’ is closed to new topics and replies.