Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter World’s Largest Dungeon OK, let me get this straight (WLD #22 spoilers)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    riddles
    • Succubus

Just relistening to #22 again (this time via iTunes shiney new podcast feature).

Balazaar can see again because Mystra through Tharis(spl?) overcame the hold Shar had on him? Yes, no, dunno?

Just listening to the bit where he gets cured for the 3rd time now and being a bear of very little brain, I’m still confused… 😳

I also assume that if Balazaar had embraced Shar, that thing on his chest would have granted him things?

Ah well, listening to you guys drowns out the wittering of the sales manager…

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

Yes, as far as I can tell, that’s what happened.

In Forgotten Realms, Shar has developed something called the Shadow Weave, a way to work magic that doesn’t rely on Mystra’s Weave. It basically relies on all the spaces where the Weave isn’t, hence why he was promised that he could have had his magic function in an anti-magic field. It also has some very nifty feats that go along with Shadow Weave magic, including making dispelling checks harder and other things like that, since it doesn’t tap into the normal Weave magic of Faerun to get its power.

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Nice to know people are listening and I not just making up random rubbish off the top of my head 😀

Yes! Thats pretty much it 😀 Tharis has been sent to help out by Mystra, (or my correctly The Simbul if I remember Steve’s background correctly – you will have to ask him) 😛

Hal :hal:

SteveB
    • Orc

Yup, that’s about right. I thought that it would be reasonable for my new character to be on a frontline somewhere and then get whisked off to whichever Gods know where.

Thus, Tharus was fighting the good fight for Aglarond against some invading Zulkir’s army from Thay, when he was given his mission by the Simbul, who, upon his acceptace, teleported him straight there – you don’t get warnings with CN archmages 😆 Thought that would be a good reason why he was tooled up for battle.

Steve

riddles
    • Succubus

Cool,

Sorry, my brain doesn’t function well in all this hot weather (must be the troll in me) so I needed the help this time.

Did you know there is a wikipedia entry for The Simbul? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Simbul Useful for people like me who stopped buying all the books a few (ok, about 10) years ago…

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

I just want to say that thanks to Steve, if something happens to my fighter in WLD, then I’ll probably be coming back as a cleric. 🙂

riddles
    • Succubus

I must admit Steve I do like the differences between the your 2 characters.

Bastion was very pious, very “lets try and talk this through with minimum bloodshed” (always exciting with Garout & Balazaar in the same party!).

Tharus seems to be more intellectual (being a cleric of Mystra this probably makes sense) and I rather like the idea of him being basically a tank, albeit one that casts spells & wields a large weapon…

OK, I’m starting to sound like a slathering fanboy now, aren’t I… 😳

EegahInc
    • Gelatinous Cube
    riddles wrote:

I didn’t know there was anyone else here BUT us slathering fanboys ❗

Steve needs a new catchline now, though. “Mystra likes it mental!” or somesuch.

Anonymous
    • Owlbear
    EegahInc wrote:
    riddles wrote:

I didn’t know there was anyone else here BUT us slathering fanboys ❗

Steve needs a new catchline now, though. “Mystra likes it mental!” or somesuch.

How about screaming some latin phrases during spellcasiting like they do in the Potter movies? 🙂

riddles
    • Succubus
    Someone, somewhere wrote:
    How about screaming some latin phrases during spellcasiting like they do in the Potter movies? 🙂

Or spell out the title of the spell, a la Knightmare..

Cob37
    • Gelatinous Cube
    Anonymous wrote:
    How about screaming some latin phrases during spellcasting like they do in the Potter movies? 🙂

I always enjoy using the ancient language NWP for spell casting.

eformo
    • Gelatinous Cube
    Hal wrote:
    Nice to know people are listening and I not just making up random rubbish off the top of my head 😀

Yes! Thats pretty much it 😀 Tharis has been sent to help out by Mystra, (or my correctly The Simbul if I remember Steve’s background correctly – you will have to ask him) 😛

Hal :hal:

::Chants evil necromantic incantations over the thread::

Arise!

I’ve a question that probably only Hal can answer (or someone far more astute than I) though speculation is certainly welcome.

I’m assuming that during session 20, Hal did not know that Bastion would conveniently have a run in with an altar/projectile.

So, how could this situation have resolved without Tharus’ intervention? I hear Lindsay talking with Fin about being bored with the game and I think – would Hal just drag this out forever, or is he sticking Paul with the choice to either turn his character evil or just roll up a new one? Was there any potential for a positive resolution of the situation? Was this moment coming inexorably since Balazaar’s first dream? How to have beaten this freight train?

Flummoxed,

-Pete

wolfsnap
    • Thri-kreen

My suspicion is that Hal was imposing consequences for the slaying of Boyikt. Since Balazaar committed what was considered an evil act while in a very evil place, he attracted the attention of an evil deity. Paul played Balazaar as basically clueless about gods, which resulted in him getting himself into an untenable situation. Basically Paul’s options for Balazaar at that point would have been 1) Give in the Teh Evil, 2) Get religion and seek help from his Dwarven Gods, 3) Find some way to make playing a Blind Wizard work, or 4) Divine intervention/Deus Ex Machina

Paul was obviously not interested in going down route 1, although I’m not sure why. I suppose he didn’t want any constraints on his character, and taking orders from a deity didn’t really seem in character for Balazaar anyway.

Paul could have worked with option 2, but that would have been a major change for Balazaar’s character. Personally I think there was a lot of potential for interesting role play there that Paul missed, but he didn’t seem to want to make any changes to Balazaar. Over the course of the dungeon, I think Paul stayed the truest to his original character concept, even to the point of stubbornness, I think. (When Bastion was trying to cast “Cure Blindness” on Balazaar, I found myself thinking “What he really needs to cast is ‘Cure Dwarven Stubbornness!!'” 😛

As they were getting into the fight with the Giants, and Balazaar waded into battle, I got the feeling that Paul had kind of given up and was thinking of going out in a blaze of glory. The fact that he somehow survived and did quite well despite his handicap really opened the door to option 3, I think. Personally I found it rather unfortunate that Tharus arrived in the very next episode and made everything better. Again, however, I don’t think that Paul was interested in trying to make it work, and Hal could probably sense his obvious frustration, so Hal simply pulled the plug on that storyline, option 4 was invoked, and Balzaar went back to being a cackling mad mage with an unhealthy love of evocations.

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

mmmmm, unhealthy love… of evocations

Balgin
    • Succubus

Just wait ’till a few sessions later when Balazaar tells the evil goddess that she needs therapy! 😆 I’m not kidding, he really did say that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • The forum ‘World’s Largest Dungeon’ is closed to new topics and replies.