Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter World’s Largest Dungeon OK, let me get this straight (WLD #22 spoilers)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    wolfsnap
    • Thri-kreen
    PaulofCthulhu wrote:
    mmmmm, unhealthy love… of evocations

Paul-

Just out of curiosity (assuming you haven’t grown sick of answering questions about something that happened three years ago) did you ever consider trying finding/negotiating a workaround to Balazaar’s blindness with Hal (I beliieve the possibility of Braille spellbooks was floated at least in jest) and just continuing on in that vein? Or did you both just decide that the whole thing had gotten too tedious and decided to drop it?

eformo
    • Gelatinous Cube
    wolfsnap wrote:
    1) Give in the Teh Evil, 2) Get religion and seek help from his Dwarven Gods, 3) Find some way to make playing a Blind Wizard work, or 4) Divine intervention/Deus Ex Machina

I agree very much with that assessment of the situation. I see those same options being put forward in session 20. Obviously Shar present option 1 as the only option, but Hal’s interaction with Steve (How high do you have to roll to dispel magic from a greater god? – I can’t.) sort of seemed to shut down option two. Option 3 was shut down just as much by the characters’ general attitude of “let’s get going” as well as Lindsay and Fin being left out – it would be bad form on Hal’s part if we had another session that was just Steve telling Hal what Bastion was doing and Hal replying that it did nothing while Balazaar pretended not to care.

Part of me wondered if Hal was offering a chance for Balazaar to get religion ( though overall it seemed to me the answer was no as explained above) and thus give him a chance to regain the alignment that had been lost – a chance for Balazaar to atone which the character had no interest in pursuing.

My curiosity is peaked particularly because as a GM, I’ve struggled with how to balance this kind of “personal plot” for the characters with the complete ignorance of the characters built into any printed adventure that doesn’t use pre-gen characters.

Trying not to touch the Boyikt thing with a ten foot pole,

-Pete

centauri
    • Owlbear

I brushed against this thread and fell victim to its fetid paralyzing touch, so I might as well post a related questions I’ve had about this:

Was the side plot with Shar part of the WLD, as in “This section of the dungeon is closely linked to a divine plane. One player will have a dream conference with a deity. Roll on the following tables to determine the deity and his/her/its/their motivation”?

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear
    wolfsnap wrote:
    PaulofCthulhu wrote:

Paul-

Just out of curiosity (assuming you haven’t grown sick of answering questions about something that happened three years ago) did you ever consider trying finding/negotiating a workaround to Balazaar’s blindness with Hal (I beliieve the possibility of Braille spellbooks was floated at least in jest) and just continuing on in that vein? Or did you both just decide that the whole thing had gotten too tedious and decided to drop it?

Nope, Balazaar is simply a stubborn, prideful Dwarf, not to be bullied by Gods or Goblins. Two celestial fingers to them. He thinks the whole pantheon thing is a load of croc anyway – I mean – multiple gods but no polytheism? Really!

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

September, 2004 – wow, that is nearly three years ago since it began!

wolfsnap
    • Thri-kreen
    PaulofCthulhu wrote:
    wolfsnap wrote:
    PaulofCthulhu wrote:

Paul-

Nope, Balazaar is simply a stubborn, prideful Dwarf, not to be bullied by Gods or Goblins. Two celestial fingers to them. He thinks the whole pantheon thing is a load of croc anyway – I mean – multiple gods but no polytheism? Really!

Actually, setting aside the motivation for the whole affair, what I was more curious about was whether you would have found it interesting/challenging or tedious/unneccesarily difficult to try to have gone ahead from that point playing Balazaar as a blind wizard (assuming some way could be found for the character to learn spells, etc). I say this because after listening to the fight vs. the Giants, I actually became interested in the possbility of trying to play a blind character in a game myself (although I haven’t yet had an opportunity to do so).

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

I would certainly have kept on playing him as a blind Wizard and would have tried to find every way possible to overcome or work with it.

I would have found it different, unusual, interesting.

– and after all, “He’s had worse!” 😉

wolfsnap
    • Thri-kreen
    PaulofCthulhu wrote:
    – and after all, “He’s had worse!” 😉

That right there should be the eventual epithet on Balazaar’s Tombstone.

Hell, I think I’ll put that on MY tombstone. 😛

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Hey folks,

Sorry for the lack of posting – it is our 3rd Wedding Anniversary today and we are getting a lot of use out of the leather goods we have purchased :whip:

With regards the decisions in the Big Dungeon I wanted there to be some real world consequence for performing an evil act other than the rather abstract change of alignment. I do not think Balazaar was ever really played as a CG character; right from the start he was more CN so this seemed like a good opportunity. With regards the actual story, it was totally fabricated. The idea came from the fact that wizards killing other wizards is something that may bring the attention of some of the gods of magic (especially in Faerun) and it seemed like a good way to allow Paul access to some of the obscure Prestige Classes (eg Shadow Weave Adept) should he so choose them.

To be honest most of it was winged on the fly and the death of Bastion was just another coincidence and Steve came up with the idea of playing a Mystran and it tied in nicely. The idea being that Mystra sent Tharus to intervene on her behalf before the great and mighty Balazaar was forced to surcome to the will of Shar and turn to the shadow weave. It was also an excellent way to get his character interacting with the party from the outset and introduce Balazaar to the religion of magic (which is not commn among Dwarves).

Overall I was pretty happy with what went on in game. I think Paul did an excellent job staying true to his portrayal of Balazaar and it gave the others something to get their teeth into as well.

I think that DnD can limit roleplay opportunities so it is sometime nice to mix things up a bit and see what happens 😉

Cheers

Hal

:hal:

riddles
    • Succubus
    wolfsnap wrote:
    [Hell, I think I’ll put that on MY tombstone. 😛

I prefer – “See, I told you I was ill!” 😀

I liked Balazaar, and I liked Paul’s playing of him. I liked the fact that he was really NE (1st edn def, only out for himself), but liked the party enough to be CG where they were concerned.

eformo
    • Gelatinous Cube
    PaulofCthulhu wrote:

Nope, Balazaar is simply a stubborn, prideful Dwarf, not to be bullied by Gods or Goblins.

If ever there was a sign of this, it’s Balazaar’s wish at the end of the Dungeon. I wish all the other dwarves to look like me. I mean, he could have wished himself to lose the Varguille type features, but no – he’ll just make everyone else deal with his problem too. Wow. I mean, wow.

Even funnier, he could have wished Feylin back to her normal self. Now that would have made for an angry halfling!

-Pete

eformo
    • Gelatinous Cube
    Hal wrote:

Sorry for the lack of posting – it is our 3rd Wedding Anniversary today and we are getting a lot of use out of the leather goods we have purchased :whip:

Congratulations Hal and Lindsay!!

Be proud of that!

At least the anniversary part. The other part, well, enjoy it, but keep it private so that I don’t have to clean images out of mind with a pipe cleaner through the ear.

-Pete

Cadallin
    • Flumph

Is it ok for me to interject with something? Since this thread is about Balazaar, its strikes me, after listening to the whole thing, that Balazaar would almost certainly try to become a Lich.

I think its both in line with his character, and he has a number of personal reasons for pursuing such a project (Like what’s likely waiting for him in the Afterlife!). I think he’d be very unlikely to accept death in any case, not while there’s anything he can do about it.

Agree? Disagree? What do you think Paul?

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

It’s an entertaining idea, but from B.’s then current point of view that wouldn’t have been on the cards – Liches (mostly) being Evil. Balazaar didn’t attack Good people, I don’t remember Boyikt being ‘Good’ 😉 B. thought of himself as Good, stuborn & prideful perhaps, but not ‘Bad’. Rather than extended life in Evil form, Balazaar would have preferred oblivion – “where no wish goes unfulfilled”. Alternatively he would have endeavoured to hunt down ways to become ever more powerful and side-step that whole mortality gig without resorting to lich-hood. Either that or go out in a blaze of Dwarven glory! 😉

Balazaar also didn’t believe in resurrection – where’s the spice of life if you can be brought back for a few gold coins, pah! 😀

Salubrai
    • Succubus

I’ve been looking at the promotional material for the Tomb of Haggemoth, and isn’t there a dwarven wizard in there named Haggemoth the Beardless One? Knowing the fellows over at Dire Destiny have heard of WLD, and perhaps listened to a few sessions…. well…..

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • The forum ‘World’s Largest Dungeon’ is closed to new topics and replies.