Forums Archive Roleplaying Chatter General RPG Stuff Paul I need help

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Wellard
    • Orc

I knowI shouldn’t be talking business here in the forums but I can’t seem to get through on the Travelling Man e-mail.so here’s my problem.Later this year Necromancer Games will be Publishing Wilderlands of High Fantasy, a revamp of the old Judges Guild gameworld in a boxed set.However they are only printing 2000 copies and there is no chance of a reprint so I just want to ask if TM could secure a few just to give UK gamers a chance to buy it,otherwise it looks as if our cousins across the pond will snap all off them up .

And to any American gamers reading this if you can think of a way to help

me out then drop me a line.

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

Emails should get through, unless a blackhole has appeared with TMs mail servers! (Not impossible, as with any server from time to time!)

If Esdevium (the distributors) offer it I’m sure TM (and other games sellers) would get it in, otherwise, it is often a case of “looking to your own defences”. I would recommend contacting Necromancer Games to see how they plan to offer it (or indeed, Esdevium in the UK if they plan to carry it)!

Wilderlands of High Fantasy: I look forward to seeing that one again. My fave still remains the original Judges Guild City State of the Invincible Overlord – with those very interesting tables at the back. 😉

Anonymous
    • Owlbear

Perhaps not calling Americans perjoratives like “yanks” might be a way to get them more interested in helping you.

Wellard
    • Orc

Pre order only available through White Wolf and have you seen their P&P charges at least twice that of anyone else.Then add in the complications with customs VAT etc and you’ll see why I dont want to go that route.Guess I’ll have to try Esdevium.

And Talia I think your being too sensitive after all we are frequently referred to as Brits and we dont mind.

Salubrai
    • Succubus

Isn’t Yank more an insult and Brit more a shortening of “British person”?

Talia?

Anonymous
    • Owlbear
    Shathis wrote:
    Isn’t Yank more an insult and Brit more a shortening of “British person”?

Talia?

It depends if your a Boston Red Sox fan. 😀

To quote part of the Wikipedia entry on Yankee

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee

Quote:

Then who, really, is a Yankee?

To foreigners, a Yankee is an American.

To Americans, a Yankee is an Easterner.

To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander.

To New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter.

And in Vermont, a Yankee is somebody who eats pie for breakfast.

—(an old definition)

It is used by people from other countries as slang to mean Americans, both as a term of endearment and as an insult. Hence, the term has had various positive, negative, contextual and regional associations over the years, as books, media, troops, teams, and peoples have used it differently for different purposes.

Anonymous
    • Owlbear

I’ve never heard “Yank” used in any way but an insult by a British person. It’s not a nickname, nor cute.

I’m sorry to be sensitive, I just think this isn’t the place for words like that.

Wellard
    • Orc

How about I call you Brother Jonathan which is the term used between the Revolutionary and 1812 Wars.And was George M Cohan being insulting when he wrote “that the Yanks are coming over there”and “I’m a Yankee doodle Dandy”

Both my wife and I have relatives born in New Jersey and they have never complained about the term.As for me I love a good argument about political correctness(which this is all about) and by the way you can call me a Limey if you like it doesn’t offend me.So come on lets have a nice healthy debate about what really is or is not insulting.

EegahInc
    • Gelatinous Cube

Well, let’s see. I’m from Georgia in the U.S. So I’ve been called cracker, redneck, hick, hillbilly, pig f…er,well, you get the idea.

I’m also Catholic in a decidely non-Catholic area. I won’t even tell you some of the names I’ve been called because of that. 😯

Maybe we can just look at any names tossed out here in the forums as terms of endearment inside the big ol’ RPG family and take it in fun. Now, of course, if any of those bas****s from the outside say something…. ❗

Besides, let’s face it, any argument over PC is going to fall a little flat in a forum dedicated to a game where racial predjudice (of a sort) is written into the rules. 😕

As for the actual topic that started all this, we have DragonCon coming up here in Sept. If I make it, I’ll keep an eye out for a few copies.

Wellard
    • Orc

Yeah we do seem to have got up to our Ass in Aligators don’t we and all for a simple request for some info.

Slacker
    • Flumph

We’re all smegheads in some form or another…

Wellard
    • Orc

If I can get back to the original subject of this thread I e-mailed Esdevium but 4 days later they have have still not had the manners to reply.So can I ask that other people start pestering them too.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘General RPG Stuff’ is closed to new topics and replies.