Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter Whartson Hall Gamers Pirates of the Spanish Maine Session 03

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Ok folks!

More fun with the Seabeast in this brilliant and bloody funny game from Whartson Hall 🙂

Pirates of the Spanish Maine Session 3

Community Podcast Updated 🙂

Hal :hal:

BigJackBrass
    • Drider

“I have no memory of this place…” 😯

Keener
    • Drider

Not surprising with a name like Lavender you were probably with Roger the cabin boy. 😀

PrestoJeff
    • Thri-kreen

It’s very hard to listen to this game with all the people stepping all over each other, audially-speaking (if it was in stereo it might be easier to separate out the multiple conversations). Was there also any actual gaming in the first 15 minutes of the audio? Tangents are fine, but maybe if you could avoid them at the very start?

Just my farthings-worth opinion.

BigJackBrass
    • Drider
    PrestoJeff wrote:
    It’s very hard to listen to this game with all the people stepping all over each other…

Well spotted and yes, that was one of the frustrating parts of the Pirates… games. Sometimes it improves, sometimes it was fairly bad. More recently we’ve taken to switching the recorder on a little later into the evening, when there is actually a threat of some gaming happening.

The Monday games are our larger group, including several less experienced gamers, and the collision of different styles and expectations does sometimes make for a bit of a chaotic jumble. I know how hard it can be to decipher as I listen through the files before sending them along to Hal. We are aware of it and have been working to improve, particularly as some of our players are becoming more used to (and less bothered by) the presence of a microphone or four.

Keener
    • Drider

I like the ganeral chit chat but some times it is frustrating when the GM is giving some important peice of information to another players further away from the microphone. 😀

PrestoJeff
    • Thri-kreen

Oh, something else to suggest: place the microphone closest to the GM, and place the “louder” players further away. Turning up the volume to hear the plot and then get blasted by a loud guffaw is painful.

Martimus
    • Gelatinous Cube
    PrestoJeff wrote:
    It’s very hard to listen to this game with all the people stepping all over each other, audially-speaking (if it was in stereo it might be easier to separate out the multiple conversations). Was there also any actual gaming in the first 15 minutes of the audio? Tangents are fine, but maybe if you could avoid them at the very start?

Just my farthings-worth opinion.

No I’m afraid what you hear with the Wharty people is what you get, that’s pretty much why we’re called Warts and all… I won’t be stopping folks from chatting and wandering off topic for a few minutes at the beginning of a session, because Monday nights are about a group of mates getting together to blow off some steam and do a bit of gaming. Recording is something we do as an aside,and the results will no doubt be very mixed. The general idea of recording the sessions was to make you feel like you were sitting at the table, not being given a carefully polished performance. Hopefully as our new gamers develop their skills and styles you will get an improvement in the the audio as we will get an improvement in the gaming experience.

If you want to listen to more focused games I’d suggest checking out our files from Thursday night games like Truth and Justice and Dogs in the Vineyard.

Bazorkin
    • Thri-kreen

I’m certainly not going to complain about the table talking!

Its wondeful and really does make me feel like I’m sitting in on

a gaming session of a bunch of friends.

Heck, the dead silence at my table at times just kind of weirds me out

to tell the truth.

Martin, are we going to get a summary of what happened in the conclusion?

I’m dyin’ to find out!

BigJackBrass
    • Drider
    Bazorkin wrote:
    Martin, are we going to get a summary of what happened in the conclusion?

I’m dyin’ to find out!

Oh that’s easy: Lavender won.

😀

Several chaotic weeks have put the “lost episode” summary behind schedule, but I’m scripting something at the moment and hope to have it recorded shortly.

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

It has to be said that these table recordings are far from professional pieces. Most of the groups put their recordings out there for the entertainment of other gamers and do try their best for audio quality, but in the end they are just games.

To make they any more professional would require too much technology, to the extent that the game itself becomes unworkable.

I think the WHG do a bloody brilliant job and I think their audio is pretty bloody good and so is the dinner that gets served there and the lovely chocolates 😉

BigJackBrass
    • Drider

The key to our success has clearly been bribery 😉

Martimus
    • Gelatinous Cube
    Hal wrote:
    It has to be said that these table recordings are far from professional pieces. Most of the groups put their recordings out there for the entertainment of other gamers and do try their best for audio quality, but in the end they are just games.

To make they any more professional would require too much technology, to the extent that the game itself becomes unworkable.

I think the WHG do a bloody brilliant job and I think their audio is pretty bloody good and so is the dinner that gets served there and the lovely chocolates 😉

Lol, Hal

Sorry Baz we are being really slow with getting together to do the synopsis, I’ll bring it up at tomorrow night’s game and see if I can’t get everyone to make a comment or two to bring the thing to a conclusion:)

As a quick heads up, Whartson Hall is having a bit of a face lift over the next 3 months or so, so we may well be moving the gaming location to some other baronial heap…

BigJackBrass
    • Drider

A face-lift? My dear fellow, you don’t look a day over fifty!

Oh… Oh I see… you mean that the Hall is getting a face-lift… 😳

Balgin
    • Succubus
    BigJackBrass wrote:
    More recently we’ve taken to switching the recorder on a little later into the evening, when there is actually a threat of some gaming happening.

Oh but I like all the general chat and banter. Not neccessarily as much as the actual gaming but it’s still fun.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Whartson Hall Gamers’ is closed to new topics and replies.