Forums Archive Roleplaying Chatter General RPG Stuff pog’s mini’s virtual tabletop what do you use?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    stefman123
    • Flumph

Hey guys i just wounderd what you use for tokens i picked up a couple of pdf’s of these and really like them.What do you prefer top down tokens, pog’s etcetc

25g9te0.png

MelkiorWhiteblade
    • Owlbear

I like paper modeling with things like PDFs from Fat Dragon Games, but haven’t ever really taken to paper minis.

I used to like Wizards plastic prepainted minis. They don’t make them any more but I have a large enough collection to get by. And I think like lots of people I do the ‘I don’t have a horned devil so lets pretend this dragon of appropriate size is the horned devil instead.’

I also have painted a few metal minis but I found it was something I was only so-so at and didn’t enjoy a whole lot.

If I have a chance to look at the new pathfinder minis, I might be interested in those. Anyone seen them yet, what do they think?

Peanuts
    • Flumph

I bought a case and a half (split one with a friend. total of 6 bricks, comes to 18 Large boosters and 96 Standard boosters). In that I got two entire sets, and a bunch 3-5 of most commons, 3-4 of uncommons and 2-3 of rares (I’m going from memory here so figures may not be completely accurate).

There have been a few problems with the set, minis coming out of the packaging and having weapons etc. break off in transport. I didn’t have this, but one of my large minis, a minotaur came off it’s base (easy enough to just glue him back on). Some minis have incorrect bases (in my minis I got one Elf Wizard whose base stated he was a medusa :p), and there were some scaling issues with this being the first set (Large troll is kinda scrawny, while the Ettin is almost Huge size, and the Dire Rat (meant to be small) is practically Medium. A few minor issues with painting, like the Chimera they continued the color from the heads down it’s arms and it looks rather poor, and the Lizardfolk has some weird blue paint around it’s mouth and the frill of spines running down his head.

Overall I am very happy with my purchase, and am upping my subscription to 2 cases for the Rise of the Rune Lords set in June.

Oh and the Promo huge black dragon is pretty awesome.

Any other questions, feel free to ask 🙂

Daniel
    • Succubus

We use a lot of virtual tabletop maps and tokens, using the free MapTools client. Over at the MapTools website there is a little app called “TokenTool”, we use that to make our own pogs for Tropis.

MelkiorWhiteblade
    • Owlbear
    Peanuts wrote:

I’m trying to imagine the shipping logistics. Minis painted in china, shipped to USA by slow boat, then to Australia.

Unless they drop ship from China?

Or maybe they aren’t made in China…but wait, everything comes from China, right?

stefman123
    • Flumph

im going to start buying some of the mini’s from hear http://www.rpgminiatures.com/ (they have the pathfinder one’s) and hopefully slowly build up a collection but being a fairly new gm i haven’t got any and thought the paper pdf’s (im printing em on fairly thick card stock) were a good sub instead of using dice and odd’s and end’s.

Ill deffinatly have to buy some of the dnd booster’s though and see what there like im a stickler for paint job’s on actual mini’s though

(i spent many years painting mini’s professionaly but now have a real job and little time 🙁 )

does any one know of good uk suppliers for the dnd pack’s(wiz pack’s) apart from amazon ?

as for the virtual table top our regular gm started us out on it(when we first started playing as newb’s a year or so ago) and its an awesome piece of software and he made some massively detailed map’s etc but we found we preferd the tabletop though for online play id definantly use it.

stefman123
    • Flumph
    MelkiorWhiteblade wrote:
    I like paper modeling with things like PDFs from Fat Dragon Games, but haven’t ever really taken to paper minis.

as for papercraft scenery etc ive just started to try it with some stuff from world works games and a couple bit’s from fat dragon i got the dragonvill delux i think it was called and from world works i got the roll arena and necroblock

stefman123
    • Flumph
    MelkiorWhiteblade wrote:

If I have a chance to look at the new pathfinder minis, I might be interested in those. Anyone seen them yet, what do they think?

Some look really good and some are meh imo but im biast and forget these are not hand painted :-p and also im just going on image’s i haven’t purchased any as of yet

Pathfinder dragon anyone (ps couldnt see the multi quote button sorry)

WZK70482-41_500.jpg

MelkiorWhiteblade
    • Owlbear

Multiquote? What’s that? 😀

Hal’s lucky the hampster is still running this Commodore64 based BBS! (I kid, I kid)

Peanuts
    • Flumph
    MelkiorWhiteblade wrote:
    Peanuts wrote:

I’m trying to imagine the shipping logistics. Minis painted in china, shipped to USA by slow boat, then to Australia.

Unless they drop ship from China?

Or maybe they aren’t made in China…but wait, everything comes from China, right?

Yeah shipping was a bitch. Came to $57.10 after Paizo’s $10 discounted shipping. Just checked the bases and indeed they come from China.

stefman123
    • Flumph

ive just orderd

2x larg pathfinder boosters and 2x small aswell as a dnd booster to start my collection ill let you know what i get ;-d

Lockhart
    • Owlbear

I also purchased a case of Pathfinder minis. I’m quite pleased with them, especially the quality they gave to the commons (the goblins may be my favourite figs of the entire set)

There are a few problems, most notably human faces, but for the most part Paizo has noted these issues and has promised to make the next sets even better. And I’m inclined to believe them, so I’m keeping my subscription.

Balgin
    • Succubus

I have a lot of miniatures. In 1991 there were over 1400 of them and the collection’s been growing steadily. I haven’t dared to count them since. I don’t buy prepainted plastics if they’re random pick. I like to pay for what I buy rather than go for a lucky dip of shoddy sculpts of the kind of quality I’ve seen in cornflake packets with a few blobs of colour lazily daubed on with gross inattention to what few details the model actualy has.

For vitual tabletops I prefer portraits. And since a portrait is a picture of a person, typicaly head and shoulders, I don’t like full length portraits (at that sort of scale you can’t make out any details anyway). Top downs don’t appeal to me that much.

Most of my fantasy portraits for maptools come from the various pictures on Amokor’s website as I find they fit my aesthetic tastes rather well. They also suit the kind of games I tend to run and play in too.

BigJackBrass
    • Drider

We rarely use minis or tokens, but on those occasions when we do (a few Savage Worlds games, for instance) I’ve broken out my old Cardboard Heroes 25mm standups from Steve Jackson Games, mostly bought in the late 1980s. The original card figures, still the best and now available as PDFs so you can print out as many as you need. Denis Loubet’s art is nice and clear, unlike too many of the computer art figures I’ve seen lately which really aren’t very good when printed out at an inch high even if they might look fantastic as full screen images.

I love the idea of using scenery and fancy miniatures, but in practice it’s never going to happen. A combination of the Cardboard Heroes, chess pieces, Heroclix figures, pennies, dice and Lego generally lets us know who’s standing where and facing what 😀

stefman123
    • Flumph

Pathfinder mini’s arrive and im really impressed with the paint job on em for big mass painted lot’s.There a lot better than the wotc one a freand showed me especially the larger model’s.Though there is a consistant lack of detail and where there is detail(such as they’ve painted pupils on my wolf’s eyes)they look a little spazzy but i think i can live with it they look better than i exspected..I got the minotaure oger werewolf and the watch guard

Think ill probably order a brick next pay day

16 Standard Boosters and 3 Large Boosters

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘General RPG Stuff’ is closed to new topics and replies.