Forums Archive Non RPG Chatter Non Gaming Chat PSP Firmware 2.0 Supports Podcasts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

Apparently.

Rumour has it that through the new web browser you can download the relevant MP3 files to your Memory Stick’s Music folder.

Anyone listen to RPGMP3 on a PSP? 🙂

McMouse
    • Commoner

If I had the dough to shell out on a PSP, I would certainly leap at the chance. However, I’ve gotta stick with my battered iPod mini for now.

errand
    • Gelatinous Cube

I am still addicted to my mini (he is called My Precious). Now that iTunes has the podcast feature, I have ditched that buggy Ipodder lemon.

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

I’ve also dropped iPodder Lemon for iTunes. One less program on the machine!

McMouse
    • Commoner

*nods* I find that iTunes is very, very useful for organizing music, making playlists, etc. The fact that it’s got a built in Podcast feature, now, is icing on the cake.

I especially like it because it’s so easy to rename and reformat lots of songs that you may or may not have bought 😀

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

LONG LIVE ITUNES!!!

Yes, they all begin to realize what I have known for nigh on seven years now. Apple will rule the world, and the head of Gates will be mounted on a spike above Apple’s gates. 70% increase in market share! ITUNES!!!

*pardon the shouting. It’s my invisible friend bob*

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

Yep, it’s true with a PSP using firmware 2.0 you can browse RPGMP3.com and download the audio files directly onto your memory stick!

Salubrai
    • Succubus

Yes, and PSP 2.0 has the web browser too. Just find yourself a wifi spot. Lots of folks using them on the trains over here. But anyway, it seems like an awfully big thing to carry around just for MP3s. 🙂

I use my mobile phone to watch movies. As a video platform, it’s much more convenient. PSP is nice but I find it best as a games platform still. Did I mention how much better Japanese mobile phones are? hee hee hee.

Demonix
    • Orc

My loverly girlfriend gave me a PSP for a pressie the other day so I’ll be loading RPGMP3 up on it soon so I can listen while on the move… I’ve got 6 Sessions to listen to to catch up (I blame World of Warcraft!).

I had a mess about with the Internet Browser and its bloomin brilliant – it needs a keybord as typing in web addresses takes forever. One is coming out towards the end of this month so that should make this a pretty handy gadget!

Salubrai
    • Succubus

Got a mate who says she uses it as a word processor as well, with her keyboard and homebrew software. I would suggest them out as well, but I think they only work on Japanese PSPs, and plus – the software is IN Japanese.

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

Related question: How does a japanese keyboard work. is it like hiragana, then if you shift is goes to kanji, then option is katakana, or is it just freaking huge?

Salubrai
    • Succubus

No, it’s got a slightly different layout with a number of japanese shortcuts. The system (whatever it is) supplies the switching between kana, kanji and romaji. As you may or may not know, there are no sounds in Japanese that don’t exist in English, so any letter in Japanese can be rendered in English characters. The important part is how it’s portrayed on the final document. If they want to do the character for “KA” they just type in k and then a. If they are in the right mode, it appears as the character. Kanji is a little bit more involved, usually having a little list on the screen of possible choices when things start combining.

But the keyboard is about the same, with a few switching quickkeys, a TINY spacebar and a number of different extra alt keys.

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

Ok, cool. That sounds workable. Now, is that the “Native Japnese speaker’s” keyboard or the”English w/ japanese as a second language” keyboard. Or is it just simply THE keyboard.

I want to know as I’m looking in to buying one for my class.

Salubrai
    • Succubus

It’s a slightly altered keyboard used by pretty much everyone in Japan. It’s a standard QWERTY layout, as any “kanji” keyboards -well, I don’t even think they exist. They’re called 108J Keyboards, I think. It really won’t assist you all that much and it will probably set you back a bit of money buying it internationally, even though they are cheap here. Your problem really is that you need a Japanese IME (input method editor) with predictive inputs for the kanji. You can always use NJstar as a stopgap, though. The real benefit of having a Japanese keyboard really only is the quick keys it has to switch between different japanese modes. It’s still a roman character keyboard at its heart.

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

Ok, cause apple comes with software for asomething like 15 different language keyboard setups, which includes the kanji software you mentioned. My TA hooked her keyboard up to my comp and it worked fine for her.

Thanks for the information. I’ll see how cheaply i can get one, just because I’m taking four years of japanese, so it’d be good to have.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘Non Gaming Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.