Forums Archive Roleplaying Chatter D20 question about rogues sneak attack

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    peter_pawn
    • Bullywug

hi. hope i dont post this in the wrong place. if yes plz go easy on me i’m a new member 😛

i’ve got got two very urgent roleplaying questions and was looking for a faq threat about d20 rules. here they are:

if a rouge’s level allows him to get multiple attacks per round, can she sneak attack the same target multiple times per round? provided of course the victim remains flanked or otherwise helpless throughout the round.

second: does a succeful detect magic spell reveal a druids supernatural ability to polymorph herself? (a thousand faces, starting at 13th level.) usually supernatural abilities such as a dragons odem weapon (breath) are not subject to detect/dispell magic spells.

help would greatly be apreciated!

SteveB
    • Orc
    peter_pawn wrote:
    if a rouge’s level allows him to get multiple attacks per round, can she sneak attack the same target multiple times per round? provided of course the victim remains flanked or otherwise helpless throughout the round.

In the surprise round, characters only get a standard action, so any rogue would only be getting a single attack on an opponent denied his dex bonus to AC because of that. However, I do believe that if the rogue then gets a higher initiative than his opponent in the following round, the opponent is still flat-footed, and thus denied his dex bonus to AC until she acts, thus allowing a further round of sneak attacks. (I think this is the case, although feel free to pull me up if it’s wrong 8) )

If the rogue is flanking and applying her sneak attack bonus, then the bonus applies for every attack in which she attacks and her opponent is flanked or denied his dex bonus to AC.

peter_pawn wrote:
    does a succeful detect magic spell reveal a druids supernatural ability to polymorph herself? (a thousand faces, starting at 13th level.) usually supernatural abilities such as a dragons odem weapon (breath) are not subject to detect/dispell magic spells.

Dungeon Masters Guide v3.5 wrote:
    Supernatural Abilities (Su): Supernatural abilities are magical but not spell-like. This far reaching category includes the basilisk’s petrifying stare, the monk’s ki strike, and the ghoul’s paralytic touch. Supernatural abilities are not subject to spell resistance and do not function in areas where magic is suppressed or negated (such as an antimagic field). A superbatural ability’s effect cannot be dispelled and is not subject to counterspells.

From this, I can see no reason why detect magic would not detect the magic involved with a druids Thousand Faces ability, and, as it mimics a specific spell, it would be easily described as a faint aura of magic. Supernatural attacks, however, I assume that the magic only takes effect when the attack is delivered, and would thus not register to a detect magic spell unless it was active at the time of attack. Of course, the effects of the attack may be inherently magical…petrification, paralysis, etc.,…but they could also be mundane, just brought about by a magical effect.

That’s just my interpretation, but hope it helps.

peter_pawn
    • Bullywug

thanks a lot for the quick and extensive help.

i’m currently leading our role playing group through a campaign and the rogue just reached level 8 and chose the feat rapid shot, thus confronting me (and my monsters) with 3attacks per round. which (adding 3times his sneak attack bonus) results in quite a lot of damage… guess i have to toughen up the opponents a bit 😯

SteveB
    • Orc

You could always have the monsters/opponents do the intelligent thing and run away 😀 Thus being outside the 30ft. range for a ranged sneak attack.

Or be devillish and put them up against oozes, constructs and undead a lot, thus no sneak attack at all 😈

peter_pawn
    • Bullywug

that sounds like a good plan. we’re in an arctic scenario at the moment though, the oozes would freeze their butts off (if they had any, but i guess, that’s exactly your point 8) ) maybe some ice golem. something to harrass the rogue. won’t be too difficult, his -2 in constitution doesn’t really bless him with hp…

thx again

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

Flanking only works for melee attacks (my group just had this discussion). You only check to see if you’re flanking when you make a melee attack. Therefore, a rogue armed with a ranged weapon cannot be making sneak attacks all round unless something else is denying the target their Dex bonus. Also, as Steve said, you only get a Standard action in the suprise round and therefore Rapid Shot cannot be used since it requires a full attack action (which is a full round action).

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear
    peter_pawn wrote:
    hi. hope i dont post this in the wrong place. if yes plz go easy on me i’m a new member 😛

i’ve got got two very urgent roleplaying questions and was looking for a faq threat about d20 rules. here they are:

Um, yeah…in 3.0 I know the rogue can make as many sneaks as she manages. I got hit by four in a round once. A hasted rogue of some obscenley high level managed to get to me in the suprise round, then got a higher init and hit me all the damn times. Then I crited with a vorpal greatsword with 2hp left. the DM went into a fit, because he was supposed to be punishing me by sending a rogue of 8-9 levels higher than me. I’m glad I had the vorpal. my only magic item at lvl 10. Insane.

sorry, i have a story for every situation, just because I play in 8-12 person parties, so there are alot of people for stuff to happen to.

so yes.

And I would say yes for the druid question, though I’m not really sure. I think it is a bit cheap to have it mimic a spell, but not count as a spell.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘D20’ is closed to new topics and replies.