Forums Archive Non RPG Chatter Non Gaming Chat Quiet again, Dragonmeet?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Thing
    Admin
    • Drider

It is fairly quiet on the boards.

I imagine some of the UK regulars are @ Dragonmeet (or is that Dragon Meet)?

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

Dragonmeet is Saturday 2nd December. I’ll be there, and there’ll be another Yog Meet at the bar.

Sinister-Ornament
    • Gelatinous Cube

I noticed it was a bit quiet.

Perhaps Thing, me and you should start a thread on something we could argue about or discuss? Is the boy in your avatar picture suffering from a swollen tongue or is he eating a brick?

Paul, Are you going to be recording anything at Dragonmeet?

By the way I loved the recently released audio on Yog with Sandy etc talking about horror films it was great, lots of films have been added to my ‘to see’ list!

I’m surprised the first black and white version of Carnival of Souls didn’t get a mention, as I think that’s an American classic. Have you seen the British film The Asphyx? Always thought it was underated.

I think Sapphire & Steel is the most Lovecraftian thing I think I’ve seen on British TV.

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

Sapphire & Steel used to unerve me as a child – especially the WWI Ghost episodes and the ‘aggregate food monster’

Mind you, so did the TV Series Children of the Stones.

I’ll be taking some recording equipment down, but may be travelling fairly light for just the day. No doubt another binaural experience on its way!

Sandy’s knowledge of Horror movies is quite amazing. I believe he has a DVD horror library running into the many hundreds (if not even the thousands).

I’m remis on my horror movie watching I’ll need to catch up on those titles! (At least at last I have The Haunting (1963) on DVD!)

Thing
    Admin
    • Drider
    Sinister-Ornament wrote:
    Perhaps Thing, me and you should start a thread on something we could argue about or discuss? Is the boy in your avatar picture suffering from a swollen tongue or is he eating a brick?

That is the little boy from the American classic a Christmas story. Every year Ted Turner plays it on one of his TV stations for 24 hours back to back. Ralphie there is sucking on a delicous bar of Life Bou for swearing in front of his mother.

Sinister-Ornament wrote:
    I think Sapphire & Steel is the most Lovecraftian thing I think I’ve seen on British TV.

The wife and I where discussing the rather Lovecraftian flavour of Sapphire & Steel after I got the hole series on Netflix.. I do love the bit with the train station where Steel basically sacrifices the man.

Sinister-Ornament
    • Gelatinous Cube

Ah! It’s soap.

Sapphire and Steel, I admit I like the ‘Chattering Darkness’ in Adventure Two and Sapphire having her face taken away. ‘Pack up your troubles’ is a song every man should know.

Best bit for me is the ‘paper children’ cliffhanger in Adventure Three, that umbrella tip gets extremely close to Sapphire’s eye.

Never liked Adventure Five, apart from the costumes. I always like the fact that Adventure Six is three episodes of atmospheric padding followed by a very dramatic ending.

The younger version of the faceless man often crops up on TV he’s currently on Emerdale, a soap opera here in Blighty.

I’m a big fan of cliffhangers on SF and Horror TV shows.

I’ve never seen Children of the Stones – the opening sequence is on TV ARK and it looks good.

I’ve The Haunting on DVD it’s lovely

I’ve just noticed that Dead of Night, a Ealing horror film portmanteau is now on DVD hence my recent change in signature.

Sinister-Ornament
    • Gelatinous Cube

If you’re running Horror on the Orient Express you should really catch the film Horror Express with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068713/

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear

Funnily enough, Fin & I saw that at the recent Fantastic Films Weekend at the NMPFT in Bradford (during Yog Radio #12) – excellent stuff!

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Hey folks,

Yes it has been a little quite. I blame the run up to Christmas 🙁

My last audio release generated all of about 3 posts (sigh).

I will not be at Dragonmeet this year, in fact I think it will pretty much be Paul on his own. It was truely awful last year and so very badly organised that we left after about 3 hours. It was not worth us going down there and paying the fee to get in. Speaking to some of the games companies present I think the general impression was that if someone did not do anything it would not be around much longer. I am sure it will be lovely, but Lindsay and I will not be present this year or any future year. We might however, make Dragon Con or GenCon next year 😛

I also remember Sapphire and Steel and it was rather strange 😀

Hal :hal:

Salubrai
    • Succubus

The only reason I didn’t post a quick thank you was that I usually wait until I listen to the audio before I respond, and only then, I was kicked off the net for two days– and realised I had not replied until I read your message!

Anyway, I think the best way to guarantee more responses to your audio releases is to make it more obvious. I’m a person who combs the boards for your posts, Hal, because I’ve missed the audio releases in the past – – simply because sometimes patron posts don’t appear on the “new post” scroller thingy. Is there some way to generate more “fanfare” for each release? Something that could prevent anyone from missing it? I also think it’s due to the fact it’s hard to know when the next release is coming, but that’s due to unavoidable lifestyle factors which I think everyone understands.

Anyway, though, yes — fanfare. And I LOVED the last session of Banewarrens. Specifically the whole “dust” scene. 😀

Salubrai
    • Succubus

Also, perhaps the site is experiencing the natural “closing” effect one has when moving — wherein what you do in your current residence is more to the effect of “just going through the motions” until your life reopens in your new home, and you find a whole new set of ways to do things.

I predict a few months after the move is done, and provided they are able to find new roleplayers to replace the ones staying in Bradford, the site will experience a new flowering. 😀

I hope of course. Hehe.

Thing
    Admin
    • Drider
    Hal wrote:
    My last audio release generated all of about 3 posts (sigh).

D’oh! I completely forgot to post. I’ve been a bit wrapped up in a couple of decent contract gigs to fill the time and bank account while I wait to here back on job interviews.

Hal wrote:
    We might however, make Dragon Con or GenCon next year 😛

Sweet. I am hoping to make Dragon Con this year. I was intending to last year, but my work and personal schedule went all to hell right before that. It would be grand to finally be able to meet you and Lindsay. 😀

Lindsay
    • Succubus

I shall, generally, be following my husband anywhere he goes like a good wife!

😀

I really want to meet you Thing, we have been talking about doing a driving trip sometime to visit some friends in Canada, so im sure we can stop off in wherever you live…Seattle? I dont even know where that is..i need a map

Thing
    Admin
    • Drider
    Lindsay wrote:
    I really want to meet you Thing, we have been talking about doing a driving trip sometime to visit some friends in Canada, so im sure we can stop off in wherever you live…Seattle? I dont even know where that is..i need a map

Not far from Seattle. Washington State is the upper left corner of the US (Continental US). I’ll show you on Google Earth sometime. 😉

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

Hopefully next year I can see some of you guys at GenCon Indy. We had to cancel our attendance this past year on account of the little one.

Anyways, heading out to drive to see my parents. Be back Sunday evening! Americans, have a Happy Thanksgiving! Others, Have a good rest of the week! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • The forum ‘Non Gaming Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.