Forums News and Information Announcements RPGMP3 Facebook Page

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Hey folks,

I have been thinking about the social media strategy for the site (I know, right? 🙂 )

We currently have a Facebook Group and a Facebook Page.

The real function of a Group on Facebook is to chat and hang out and do the stuff you lot should be doing over here on the forums so I am going to close the Group down.

I ask that all users of good conscience and those would are interested head over and ‘Like’ the RPGMP3 Facebook Page instead.

Thank you for your understanding and compliance.

Also – feel free to share the page and this website far and wide on social media – time to start getting things going around here again 😀

Hal :hal:

Slartibartfast
    • Gelatinous Cube

Sounds like a good plan.

Dr_Jomster
    • Orc

It does indeed! Twitter’s my sharing medium, so I shall hop to it! 🙂

Dr_Jomster
    • Orc

Actually we could use the excitement about the possible RPG element to season 3 of Tabletop from Geek & Sundry to whip up some new joiners, as I just shamelessly have on The Twitter! 🙂

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I liked the shameless post to Twitter and you are correct spreading the word might be a good idea to get some more folks over here.

I was always happy to have the forums for general game talk but we seem to get it in fits and starts and it never seems to get to a point where it is consistant. We need to achieve a critical mass so the site chat keeps going on its own.

I think we have a much better community feel than places like RPG net and EN World but they seem to have a volume. What do we think we need to do?

PrestoJeff
    • Thri-kreen

My somewhat off-the-cuff suggestions:

1) More content on a regular basis. There needs to be a variety of groups and games to engender interest in new listeners/visitors. If I’m not mistaken, the three longest-running campaigns on RPGMP3 are Pathfinder.

2) More one-shots and short(er) campaigns. I’m as guilty of this as anyone, but it’s pretty hard to start listening at “episode 29”. I’m looking at the latest uploads, and with the exception of Black Swan and Demolished Ones, they’re all in the 20-30 episode range (Shattered Star, Jade Regent, Dragon’s Delve). Happy Rocks is only at episode 9, but that has the problem of following (far) behind the “official” RPGMP3 Shattered Star.

3) More support material for the campaigns. Character sheets or stat blocks at various levels would be nice, as would battlemat pictures as appropriate (except for Shattered Star which is on YouTube). World maps are always nice too (although that can run into copyright issues for published campaigns).

4) Non-gaming/campaign material. One word: Geek-a-saurus. Or how about interviews with the various group’s GMs and/or players? How about a technical round table discussing recording options, or how to configure Roll20?

5) Being a non-Patron, I don’t know if there is substantial discussion over Patron-only materials in the Patron-only forums. This is going to be controversial, but I think the Patron subscription model is no longer viable. Just look at Paul over at YSDC. He’s auctioning off stuff to pay his server bills and fund a server upgrade. I have no idea what model is “the right one” (or *a* right one), unfortunately, but maybe…

5a) Monetizing older content. YSDC put out that Tales From the Table data DVD with (IIRC) the Masks of Nyarlathotep and Horror on the Orient Express campaigns. I’m pretty sure that you could take, say, those World’s Largest Dungeon recordings, work on the audio levels, put in chapter marks, make an audio index (e.g., every instance of “Daka daka daka”) or an episode summary, record some player interviews, add in some stat blocks or scanned character sheets, and then do some kind of “burn-on-demand” process. That avoids the massive capital outlay that Paul must have had to make. You could even use MP3 steganography tools to help identify piracy (*not* DRM). Do this for all of the RPGMP3 content, offer to do it (or help) with the other groups, and there’s how you reduce server load (like the way YSDC is aging their content off their feeds) and make money.

6) Promotionals. Make some RPGMP3 audio “commercials” or “infomercials”.

Wow, that turned out to be a very large cuff….

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

That was all very good off the cuff though… I agree with a lot of what is there.

The Patron model has worked for us but we rarely get to a point where we have a large excess of funds and when we do it is usually for upgrading servers and the like.

There is so much free content available these days that I think you may be correct on the new content front. Perhaps it is time to bring Geek-A-Saurus back from the dead and see if we can give is dust off.

What do people think? Would that kind of thing be of interest?

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

I ask that all users of good conscience and those would are interested head over and ‘Like’ the RPGMP3 Facebook Page instead.

For those of you who aren’t Bookin’ your Faces, here’s a piccie that went up as an inaugural* post on the new page.

Hal wanted to commission a site webcomic back in July, which never really went any further than the planning stage. However, it did yield this b/w comic strip version of one of the scenes from the classic Temple of Elemental Evil game, which was played yonks ago, back when Hal and Lindsay were proud Bradfudlians. It was also – as those of you who’ve listened to it will know – one of the few campaigns where Hal got to play, rather than GM.

med_gallery_10823_7_206515.png

*No, your posts don’t count, Hal. Those were cheater posts, that were cheatingly reposted by hooking the page up to the site’s Twittilizer feed.

PrestoJeff
    • Thri-kreen

Oh, and get Pencil-Monkey to design the DVD sleeve 🙂

PrestoJeff
    • Thri-kreen

Another thought: recruit article/column writers. The articles don’t need to be too long, but they should try to be on schedule. A possiblity: recruit the various group GMs/players to provide a short answer to a question and make the column the collected answers. Sample questions: “As a GM, do you fudge your die rolls? Why or why not?” “How much do you stick to the campaign as written? Do you like to improvise?”

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

We did talk about having article writers to add content that could be built through the Blogs on the site or perhaps contribute to a single Blog with various writers.

Not sure we would have the interest… anyone?

Hal

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Oh, and get Pencil-Monkey to design the DVD sleeve 🙂

There’s already a DVD cover for the (Yorkton) Haggemoth campaign, ready to go. 😉

gallery_10823_11_13623.gif

PrestoJeff
    • Thri-kreen

I’d be willing to write some articles, depending on the topic. Hopefully the editor(s) will be kindly.

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Who is this editor of whom you speak 🙂

That might be something else we might need… 😀

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Time for a change – found this auto uploaded to my G+ from when I was away at a conference a few months ago – Looks like to am showing someone my broken phone case […] I think I need to photoshop the phone out for something else.

AS YOU WISH. [/BoomingGenieVoice]

10290604_10152192385013682_7869340075958

“The Best A Vargouille Can Get”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • The forum ‘Announcements’ is closed to new topics and replies.