Forums Archive Roleplaying Chatter D20 Rules Reference (Questions raised in a relisten of WLD)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

Don’t ask me why I thought this would be a good idea, but here it is. In this thread, we attempt to answer/rationalize questions raised by the group in their WLD adventures. If you have any rules questions or rationale you wish to post, go for it. I have a few to start off with:

Session 4: -2 penalty for Sickened applying to the damage from a crossbow

Rationale: The penalty is a penalty to damage, not to strength. The way you can imagine it is that you’re feeling ill and woozy and therefore aren’t aiming things as precisely as you should. Less precise aiming = Not doing full damage

Session 4?: Stirge breaks grapple check when it only met Balazaar’s check

Rationale: Much like Hal was saying, the check functioned much like trying to hit someone’s armor class. Basically, the stirge was availing itself of one of the actions from the list of actions available to someone involved in the grapple. It was the stirge’s action to attempt and it won the roll by the core mechanic and therefore it managed to break free. The actions available to someone in a grapple makes fascinating reading and really isn’t that difficult to understand. I know I’ll be going through a refresher course on them as I’ll be playing a monk soon.

Session 5: Chance to hit your friends/-4 penalty for firing into melee

Rules: There is no stated chance to hit your friends for firing into melee. (Reference: Shooting or Throwing Into Melee I believe the only time you ever risk hitting a friendly with a ranged attack involves firing into a grapple, but I can’t find the rule for that in the SRD at the moment.

Rationale: The concept of the -4 penalty is something that I’ve always rationalized is that you’re trying so hard not to hit your friend, that you err on the side of shooting wide, which is the reason for the penalty, rather than accidentally hitting your friend.

Salubrai
    • Succubus

Wow! You and Steve would get along famously. 🙂

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen
    Shathis wrote:
    Wow! You and Steve would get along famously. 🙂

Or get into a horrendous rules argument. 🙂

SteveB
    • Orc
    WereWolfPaladin wrote:

Rules: There is no stated chance to hit your friends for firing into melee. (Reference: Shooting or Throwing Into Melee I believe the only time you ever risk hitting a friendly with a ranged attack involves firing into a grapple, but I can’t find the rule for that in the SRD at the moment.

Rationale: The concept of the -4 penalty is something that I’ve always rationalized is that you’re trying so hard not to hit your friend, that you err on the side of shooting wide, which is the reason for the penalty, rather than accidentally hitting your friend.

That is correct! However, there can be an additional penalty, if you have to fire through the square your mate is fighting in. It is this modification to the missile attack roll that can cause you hit your ally.

So firing into melee from behind your mate is really, really quite bad if you don’t have precise shot and improved precise shot.

Ref: Player’s Handbook v3.5 pg 150

And, we would probably get along famously, until we had that big rules argument, then we’d get on famously after 😀

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

Ahh, yes, I’d forgotten about the “soft cover” rules. Thanks for reminding me. 🙂

There was something else I heard listening through the other day, but I can’t remember what it is now. I’m just fascinated by the rule set and how it all fits together and trying to figure out what the rationale behind it is.

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

This is now my favorite thread. If I come across any, I’ll post them up as well.

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

Session 4: Casting Defensively and Attacks of Opportunity

Rules: As per the the Casting Defensively Rule, you do not suffer an Attack of Opportunity if you fail the concentration check to cast defensively. The penalty for failing that check is the loss of the spell.

Rationale: The act of casting defensively means you’re still paying attention to your opponent and weaving and turning to try and keep away from him. The concentration check is required so that you can remember the complex hand motions and words you have to go through to cast the spell. Failing the concentration check means that you got something in that process wrong and therefore the spell fizzles.

Rich
    • Bullywug
    SteveB wrote:
    WereWolfPaladin wrote:

That is correct! However, there can be an additional penalty, if you have to fire through the square your mate is fighting in. It is this modification to the missile attack roll that can cause you hit your ally.

So firing into melee from behind your mate is really, really quite bad if you don’t have precise shot and improved precise shot.

Ref: Player’s Handbook v3.5 pg 150

And, we would probably get along famously, until we had that big rules argument, then we’d get on famously after 😀

Just my tuppence worth, hanging around in the same Society as our mighty WLD players and running a few DnD games myself, I am aware that we do commonly use the rule that you can hit your mate when firing into melee. I believe I have the rules source correct. This rule is not covered in the PHB nor in the SRD (well I couldn’t find it 😀 ) it is a variant rule.

Ref: The Dungeon Masters Guide v3.5 pg 24: “Varient: Striking the cover instead of a missed target”

In summary if you would have hit the target if it wasn’t in cover and the cover is provided by a creature, then if your attack would hit the covering creature’s AC, you hit that creature instead.

Rich 8)

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

wait . . . That’s just a variant. Wow. I took it for canon. It makes alot more sense.

Rich
    • Bullywug

Indeed it is a variant, however round here (Bradford) it gets used a good deal since it just seems logical that you should be a bit careful about shooting at your friends. In fairness the full rule is a fair bit more complex than my summary. But I like it and use it 😀

Rich 8)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘D20’ is closed to new topics and replies.