Forums Archive Roleplaying Chatter General RPG Stuff Sequel to Dungeons and Dragons The Movie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Salubrai
    • Succubus

Ok, I think we can all agree that D&D the movie sucked. Its biggest mistake was perhaps trying to appeal to the wider audience by dumbing down the formula. Though I get the feeling this is going to happen again, apparently a sequel has been released direct to DVD called “Dungeons and Dragons: The Elemental Might”. Though I haven’t seen it yet, I can imagine it’ll be more like a good TV show in terms of effects, and maybe – just maybe – will stick more to the original material than the travesty that was the first movie, only because it’s not trying to be mainstream anymore.

If anyone sees this, please tell me.

Cob37
    • Gelatinous Cube

I heard about this too. It can’t be any worse than the first one, can it? I can spend $1 to rent it when it comes out.

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

Ok, first movie:

Writing session consisted of three guys getting together and saying “Man, I’ve got an awesome 1e adventure around.” “Man, I have a great 2e adventure atound” “Man, I have the same adventure in 3e”

“Lets Make A Movie!!!”

And of course, it sucked, because D&D sucks if you expect plot and you’re not playing.

But the dragons looked f*cking awesome!!!!

Wellard
    • Orc

Some of the guys who saw it at GenCon said it was OK,not great but OK(source various forums)

Salubrai
    • Succubus

Ok, I’ve seen it. While it’s still very D&D-lite, it’s MUCH more faithful to source material than the original. The acting is average, the effects are very TV-esque, perhaps on the level with a show like Stargate Atlantis (minus motherships). A few of the characters are likable. It could have made a good TV show, I think, though the world is pretty badly defined and the villain really gets melodramatic. There’s a lich that outacts him. 🙂

I did like how they handled the rogue and disarming traps. And all of the women are pretty good looking, too! Which is a bonus.

Anyway, lack of a large budget made them be more fair to the material, I’m sure. Strange as that may sound, they couldn’t go all out. Rating out of 5? I’ll give it a 3.

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

Cool! Always good to have faith to the starting material, even if it is of necessity.

And a rogue is always a bonus. Rogues are fun in movies.

riddles
    • Succubus

Didn’t Vin Diesel fund this himself? Is he in it?

Salubrai
    • Succubus

Vin Diesel? Anything is possible…. but I kind of doubt it. He definitiely isn’t in it. The biggest name was Bruce Payne. It seemed like a totally continental European-made production, albeit with all English speakers..

One of the female leads was a somewhat good actress, and looked very good – but I finally learned why movies discriminate against hiring “serious” actors who have a lisp.

riddles
    • Succubus
    Shathis wrote:
    Vin Diesel? Anything is possible…. but I kind of doubt it. He definitiely isn’t in it. The biggest name was Bruce Payne. It seemed like a totally continental European-made production, albeit with all English speakers..

One of the female leads was a somewhat good actress, and looked very good – but I finally learned why movies discriminate against hiring “serious” actors who have a lisp.

I’m sure he owns the rights to it all now. But perhaps that was just a surreal dream…

And lisps – could be fun for a female thespian… 😛

suncrafter
    • Bullywug

The first movie sucked the slime off a dead man’s balls! They spend millions making a move – but can’t hire 2 or 3 D&D nerds to advise them?

Remember the D&D cartoon? Sure, they removed blood and gore – but at least it had the “feal” of D&D.

riddles
    • Succubus

Have watched both of them.

if they were “made for TV” fodder, they’d be OK (not sure if the 2nd one wasn’t to be honest).

If I’d had to go to the cinema to see either of them I’d have been P*ssed off, to put it mildly.

The problem is, with the exception of the LotR trilogy and possibly Excalibur, fantasy movies just don’t work. LotR showed that they ARE possible, if the script is well written and the direction and acting is top rate. This just doesn’t happen v. often with fantasy films.

Thing
    Admin
    • Drider
    riddles wrote:
    Have watched both of them.

if they were “made for TV” fodder, they’d be OK (not sure if the 2nd one wasn’t to be honest).

the 2nd one was. They shot in one of the cheap romaina locations for direct to SciFi channel/video. One of the problems of course is that they kept Courtney Solomon in charge of hte 2nd. He was also behind the ill fated 4th edition of Traveller amongst other things

riddles wrote:

The problem is, with the exception of the LotR trilogy and possibly Excalibur, fantasy movies just don’t work. LotR showed that they ARE possible, if the script is well written and the direction and acting is top rate. This just doesn’t happen v. often with fantasy films.

True. It has always been hard to get money, and thereby tallent for genre films. hopefully LOTR will help get fantasy out of the the B movie ghetto, but it is likely to spawn a bunch of low budget movies trying to feed off it’s success. Fantasy and Science Fiction have always been kind of a dumping ground for films and TV. There isn’t enough quality stuff out there for fans to be selective, so most of us watch a bunch of crap and therefore the crap sells.

There are some pretty crappy films out there with a few good points, and I have been able to come out of soem of the worst books and movies with an idea or two that I liked. Hopefully the quantity of stuff becoming available as sci-fi geeks, gamers, and fantasy geeks are seen as a viable market will cause some more focus on the really good ones. Unfortunately they tend to be rather special effects intensive and inherently cost more then a good period costume drama or modern cop show, so they either cut back on the actors and script or get less proffit and the show fails anyways.

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

Any good fantasy movie must include . . . “The Shadow!!”

Dragonkin
    • Thri-kreen

– The Shadow!

– The Shadow?

– The Shadow.

EegahInc
    • Gelatinous Cube

I’m an 70’s/80’s kid, so I was there for the heyday of sword and sorcercy movies cashing in on the D&D craze. And while I agree that LOTR and Excalibur are at the top of the list, I can’t help but have a fondness for a few of the lesser efforts. I expect disagreement. 😉

KRULL

Yeah, it’s a mixed bag, but I still watch it every time it comes on and had to buy it when it showed up in the $5 bin. The score alone is worth the money. Go ahead and say you didn’t like it, but you are a filthy liar.

THE HOBBIT

Okay, the final battle was a let-down (little dots moving back and forth? 😕 ) and 45 minutes is not long enough to do the material justice, but still, the feel of this was right on the spot.

LADYHAWKE

Sue me, I’m a romantic.

HIGHLANDER

Remeber, before the assanine sequels and goofy TV series, when you thought this was the coolest thing on the planet?

DRAGONSLAYER

Coolest dragon ever!

There’s probably a few more, but that should be plenty to gain me scorn and derision.

SEMI-HONORABLE MENTION

CONAN and BEASTMASTER, you watched’em as much as I did.

HALL OF SHAME (ignoring all of the late 80’s straight to video stuff)

DUNGEONMASTER

God have mercy on their immortal souls for this.

BARBARIAN PRINCESS

How is she hurting this guy. Is she doing what I think she’s doing with what I think she’s doing it with? I need another drink.

MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE

The horror, the horror….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • The forum ‘General RPG Stuff’ is closed to new topics and replies.