Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Lindsay
    • Succubus

Nuu Yaaawwk?

I love accents, its my thing. When we are in America, im terribly, and cant help picking up peoples accents, they fascinate me.

Having been in New York quite a few times, i dont do a bad impression, actually 😳

riddles
    • Succubus
    Lindsay wrote:
    Having been in New York quite a few times, i dont do a bad impression, actually 😳

Your mission then, should you wish to accept it, is to do your NY accent tonite! Oh, and any others you feel like throwing in. 🙂

I have a rather boring “English Neutral” accent (probably with a little “Midlands” thown in), after having a strong Welsh accent (kicked out of me at school), then a strong Black Country accent (listened to myself on tape).

And of course the intrepid WLD playtesters’ accents are all lovely… with the possible exception of some of the wilder accents swings of Balazaar… 😛

errand
    • Gelatinous Cube

The Canadian accent can be harder. I have an Ontarian rural accent that can make me sound dim. No one wants to hear their accountant say “Yew gotta ruduuse yer det load, eh” By the way, we only say “aboot” on South Park.

Dragonkin
    • Thri-kreen

And we don’t say ‘bork’ at all…

ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube
    Quote:
    Your mission then, should you wish to accept it, is to do your NY accent tonite!

The halfling from brooklyn. 😆

Salubrai
    • Succubus

I was a bit curious if Fin was making a cultural reference when he said “If they don’t have LimeAde, I’ll have a nice glass of water, thank you”, as his accent for this line was hilarious.

Paul seems to do a good American accent, (in addition to Transylvanian)

Salubrai
    • Succubus
    Hal wrote:
    OK OK 😛

I sixth it and will deal with it 😉 We are recording a session tomorrow night which will be up as soon as humanly possible 😀 Then hopefully we will be back on track again now that Lindsay has returned from her adventures in the Big City! Hoooray 8)

Cheers

Hal :hal:

Will all the patrons be seeing the raw file first, or will the posting actually be immediate and simulataneous?

Face
    • Gelatinous Cube
    riddles wrote:
    Just ‘cos Face is from Texas, Bush isn’t his fault! 😛

Actually, I grew him in a lab, though I continue to blame poorly sterilized beakers for his language skillz (Juan “Montgomery” Rodriguez refuses to wash his hands after playing with the cowboy monkeys).

For the sake of bolstering the idea that I don’t get me none irony (as it’s true): yew haw? Yee har? These sounds are madness. You’d say “yee haw!” or “*shoot*yeeeeeeeeeee*shoot*eee*I’m shooting a gun* haaaaaaa*shootshootbangshoot*aawwwwww*stumbleshoot*!”

Because you’d be drunk, at a rodeo, and armed to the teeth so you aren’t unable to defend yourself when the jackrabbits invade.

Oh! If you’re going to do accents, y’might call people “mugs”. It’s not NY, but it begs to be uttered in Deep English (that’s how I refer to you in all my business dealings) all the same.

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear
    ENoa4 wrote:
    As a former New Yorker, I feel obligated to type something with a New York accent, but can’t seem to figure out how to do that. Hhmmmm….

that goes something like this

@#%!% @#%# a @#$#%$#%%#$$##@ !@#%&&

Having been to New York a few time, I can do a fair impression myself.

Ffaern
    • Orc
    ENoa4 wrote:
    As a former New Yorker, I feel obligated to type something with a New York accent, but can’t seem to figure out how to do that. Hhmmmm….

Something like speaking all of the languages of the world simultaneously? 🙂

Salubrai
    • Succubus

Incredibly enough, the middle finger is not as insulting in some parts of the world as others. And I learned only yesterday that among British people, holding up your two forefingers in sort of a backwards “peace sign” but having them together is some sort of gesture of equivalent insult to the middle finger. In Japan, the friendly old middle finger holds true, but giving someone a pump of your forearm with your other hand against the inside of your elbow is a sign of “enthusiasm” rather than an insult.

Face
    • Gelatinous Cube
    Shathis wrote:
    … But giving someone a pump of your forearm with your other hand against the inside of your elbow is a sign of “enthusiasm” rather than an insult.

That’s news. As for the Brits and their silly two fingers thing, I think that had to do with a battle or somethin’. People with bows slaughtered people without bows and everyone had a good laugh.

One of my US History teachers in high school told me this, and I believe him, as he was very smart and wore glasses. Let the Deep English deny it if they like; we know the truth, and somehow it will set us free from our oppressors.

Dragonkin
    • Thri-kreen
    Face wrote:
    Shathis wrote:
    … But giving someone a pump of your forearm with your other hand against the inside of your elbow is a sign of “enthusiasm” rather than an insult.

That’s news. As for the Brits and their silly two fingers thing, I think that had to do with a battle or somethin’. People with bows slaughtered people without bows and everyone had a good laugh.

From what I’ve been told, the two finger thing dates back to the English longbowmen. Because the longbow was so feared, their foes would cut off their index and middle fingers so that they wouldn’t be able to draw the bow. So the two finger thing was a symbol of “oi you, I still have my fingers and can shoot you”.

At least, that’s how it’s been told to me… can be wrong, ya never know.

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

I think its a backwards peace sign.

So, any of the Brits who participate in and run this board want to jump in and correct us before we get to the reallly dumb stuff?

(Though the thing with the longbowmen probably is right.)

Face
    • Gelatinous Cube

What, my bows were too short? I tell you, my teacher repeatedly spent a full quarter of our classtime talking about his heart trouble, and how neat it wasn’t to be resuscitated by electrified paddles. The man was clearly on top of his game and should be taken seriously, lest he keel over of shock.

You’ll kill him.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
  • The forum ‘World’s Largest Dungeon’ is closed to new topics and replies.