Forums RPGMP3 Podcast Audio Actual Play Recordings RPGMP3 Pathfinder Shattered Star Session 33

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

File Name: Shattered Star Session 33

File Submitter: Hal

File Submitted: 03 Apr 2014

File Category: Pathfinder

Genre: Fantasy

Profanity Level: Jolly Sweary Indeed

https://www.rpgmp3.com/files/game_recordings/RPGMP3/audio/shattered_star_session_33.mp3

Tragedy strikes due to some bad luck, some bad prep and some bad rolling. The wizard is a little more stalwart than the party hopes.

http://youtu.be/0TNhSyn9tvc

Click here to download this file

thad
    • Thri-kreen

Ha! We got taken out by a random encounter boar! (we was level 1)

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

This one was pretty unfortunate.

I guess we just didn’t have the luck, the prep or the group dynamic to make this fight easy.

Plus Lockhart went easy on us for a while when we were all locked down. The guy could easily have been bombarding us with spells while we were entangled and useless.

Shame – we are putting together new characters to move forward – what kind of classes would you guys like to see us play?

Hal :hal:

Chewzter
    • Orc

I’d say play the Beastmorph Vivisectionist Alchemist/Master of many Styles Monk of the Sacred Mountain Monk/ Fighter I already warned @[member=”Lockhart”] about 😛 He’s just too gamebreaking.

You could use this opportunity to get bit closer to the “standard” party! One Wizard, one healer and a melee.

If one of you takes Druid (Dire Tiger with roc animal companion is rocking in our RotRL group for example) you’d (sort of) have 4 members in the party already 😀

You could make a LE Merciful Healer cleric of Lorcan 😉 an evil cleric that channels positive energy, just for the laughs.

Conjurer Wizard is amazing, summon monsters to balance your small party, black tentacles for the enemies… Sounds like something for Thing?

(Synthesist) Summoner is veeery powerful, more so than normal summoners (which are powerful anyway).

As Lindsay likes playing rogue classes, I’d suggest Vivisectionist, rather than rogue or, since she played one already in Temple of Time, maybe ninja. The rogue class in Pathfinder is just… not very good generally. Ninja has a lot of better stuff (at the price of Evasion).

Maybe Sniper/Ninja with a level of Oracle of Waves to get Obscuring mist and Water Sight? That is, if lockhart allows you to sneak attack from total concealment.

Or Gunslinger and break everyones face by hitting their touch AC…

And of course Paladin, if Hal wants to continue his Lawful Good (though questionable 😛 ) Tour 😉

Maybe your (sometimes?) guest (Nick?) would like that Gunslinger now 🙂 ?

There is, of course, also the “Aspis Agent” Prestige Class which they had to rename in the SRD.

Although, to be honest, it’s not that great.

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Shame – we are putting together new characters to move forward – what kind of classes would you guys like to see us play?

Mana Molder, Mythic and Magehunter – for that delightfully alliterative degree of inter-party dysfunctionality. 😉

If one of you takes Druid (Dire Tiger with roc animal companion is rocking in our RotRL group for example) you’d (sort of) have 4 members in the party already 😀

A Summoner (group gains +1 arcane caster) with a min-maxed Eidolon (+1 melee fighter, usually) is another good 2-for-1 deal. Ash & Misty from Jade Regent are a prime example. 😉

Also, if you guys are planning on recruiting more players to bulk out the group a little, you should consider getting @[member=”Heather”] in on it, if her internet connection is up to it, by now. Not only is she a high-quality (if not very experienced) dice jockey, she’s also a Site Artist, so you’d most likely end up getting loads more character portraits of your new PCs. 😉

Miran
    • Commoner

In addition to the above selections, most of which are quite good, you might also want to consider a bard for Lindsay. Not as combat oriented as her rogue (tho you can get a sneak attack if you take the Sandman archetype), but it’ll be a lot of fun. She tends to try to be a social character in games a lot (when she’s paying attention, at least) so something that can actually have a very significant effect on how the game plays out would be interesting. Toward that end, I suggest the Celebrity or the Lotus Geisha archetypes. They both maintain the bard’s traditional versatility, but have some fun tricks that allow them to create and dominate social encounters. If she wants to maintain a heavy combat presence (at the partial expense of out-of-combat versatility) the Dawnflower Dervish is an interesting archetype as well.

For Hal, a ranger might be a good choice. As frontline fighters, they’re almost as good as pure fighters, but they get skill points. Lots of skill points (6 + int). You can also take an animal companion to use as a front-liner, and then specialize in archery, which will give you a lot more offensive options. Teamwork feats also work wonderfully with animal companions, tho loosing a feat in your animal companion build might hurt. My personal favorite build is somewhere in the middle. You take a couple of archery feats early on to get ahead of the curve, and then you put everything into melee fighting and rely on your bonus feats to finish off your archery tree. You don’t get all the fun toys a dedicated archer or a dedicated line fighter would get, but you can do both quite effectively. A Magus might also be an effective choice. At level 9 or so you can end up running a very solid secondary spell caster with quite a few useful abilities. Great for when Thing ‘accidentally’ botches a roll :P.

Thing. Hmm… what fits your personality… Have you looked at the antipaladin? On a more serious note, Clerics are amazing if you want to continue in a healer-esque role. They also get very solid combat abilities, which lets you shrug off taking a few hits in combat and stack an AC that’s actually decent (rule of thumb on AC is 20+level to roughly maintain a 50% miss chance; that’s one of the reasons you guys were getting hit so hard). Adding the various archetypes, if you’re willing to put up with preparing your spells in advance, it’s a very effective class. Witch with the healing hex can also be a quite effective healer and the misfortune and evil eye hexes make you the ultimate debuffer. Enough so that you’ll undoubtedly almost double the amount of work you make lockheart do (at the very least, the number of die rolls). It’s an excellent class for versatility. If you want something a bit more traditional, you can also grab a summoner (just the regular kind. Synthesist summoners tend to get banned from games really, really fast once your DM realizes you can cast a single spell and suddenly have DR 10 vs everything (20 vs everything but weapons that match both alignments), energy immunity, blindsense, or tremorsense.). You get a free bodyguard that can fight better (in many cases) than a front-line fighter, tho it tends to be a bit weaker statistically than animal companions before you add evolutions. Once you get a sequence of evolutions that you like, however, it can be quite awesome and it’s versatility puts most animal companions to shame. Be warned: Dismissal and Banishment are a summoner’s bane.

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

The party is sufficiently high level that Hal and Thing could take out a timeshare in an Ettin. They each get to control one of the heads, and one of the arms. Thanks to Superior Two-Weapon Fighting, there’s no downside to this plan. If they want to play against stereotypes and throw cautious min-maxing to the wind, they could play an Ettin spellcaster. Ettins have an Int stat that’s blessed with suck, but their Wis and Cha are average. Actually, an Ettin Cleric of Abadar with the Eyes and Ears of the City trait would be fairly ace. (+4 Racial bonus and +1 trait bonus to Perception, which is skill choice numero one if you have any hopes of surviving whatever surprise bullshit the GM might throw at you.)

If they manage to hire a couple of halfling urchins to act as crossbow reloaders, HalThing could become a quite lethal gigantor sniper duo, especially with all those Perception boosts. (Just make sure you buy Piecemakers.)

Speaking of helpful lawn ornaments: Since the Lindster is destined to inevitably end up playing Small-sized characters, she could easily get a jury-rigged howdah and ride around on HalThing’s back. She’d get cover from their large noggins and could either buff them with Bard song, or lay down supporting fire with magification or ranged weapons, or provide relaxing neck rubs and sponge baths.

In addition to the above selections, most of which are quite good, you might also want to consider a bard for Lindsay.

Nah, bards got nerfed pretty badly when Paizo decided to remove Countersong, Fascinate, Inspire Courage, Inspire Confidence, Suggestion, Inspire Greatness, Song of Freedom, Inspire Heroics, and Mass Suggestion. Replace them with Minor Cheer, with gives you a +1 bonus on saves against fear effects if another party member within range is at negative hit points. Also, Bardic Knowledge now only works to identify the genealogy of peasants.

However, if one of you do decide to play a bard, you should check out this variant race option that @[member=”kafkonia”] statted up for 3.5 D&D. It’ll be perfect. 😉

For Hal, a ranger might be a good choice.

Thing. Hmm… what fits your personality… Have you looked at the antipaladin?

It would be fascinating to hear a group that was more thematically homogeneous, a party that had some rationale for being a group, beyond the traditional “you were hired by a bloke in the pub” handwavery. Perhaps three characters that all were the same race? But something a little… exotic, mmm? What about: goblins? 😀 For example, the Goblins of Purity! source book features plenty of new character options – and if the group decides to go with the idea of having a ranger, a rogue and a paladin, they could try these exciting new archetypes: “the Dog Hunter ranger, the Friendly Picklechucker rogue, and the Peaceful Beachcomber paladin”. 🙂

(The book also features an “exciting reworking of the alignment system that allows you to play arsonists and baby-eaters while still being good-aligned”, which would interest Thing, and a “brand-new 20-level base class built especially for would-be goblin heroes: the Goblin Babysitter, a class that gets extensive use out of this book’s new ‘innocent accident’ charts”.)

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Or what about an Awakened animal PC? Lindsay’s already tried almost every variation of halfling/gnome/dwarf/hobbit/kender/tree sprite Rogue/Thief/Tomb Raider under the sun. If she enjoyed playing a Tengu so much, this could be a prime opportunity for her to play a talking panther, or a Sicilian crested porcupine with sneak attack ability and connections to the mob. Getting poked in the rear with 1d100+100 hardened spines is no laughing matter.

That could also work quite nicely with a Bard class, if you pick the right variant. Something that’s light on skills with an ‘opposable thumbs’ prerequisite (unless the character’s a monkey – which would be an excellent choice, IMHO) 😉 but can still provide buffs with Bard Song. Plenty of animals have delightful mating calls, after all.

In fact, a Bolivian red howler Bard with the Sandman archetype would be fantastic: first, she lulls her enemies to sleep with her soothing screams and bellows, and then sneaks up on them to fit them for a Bolivian necktie.

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

(Synthesist) Summoner is veeery powerful, more so than normal summoners (which are powerful anyway).

If you want something a bit more traditional, you can also grab a summoner (just the regular kind. Synthesist summoners tend to get banned from games really, really fast once your DM realizes you can cast a single spell and suddenly have DR 10 vs everything (20 vs everything but weapons that match both alignments), energy immunity, blindsense, or tremorsense.).

Mike fell in lust at first sight with the Synthesist, when he stumbled across it during a rulebook binge in Dragon’s Delve 29. 🙂

Mike: It’s the Venom suit! Spiderman-Good---Evil-spiderman-entertai

Miran
    • Commoner

You’ve been a busy little monkey this morning, haven’t you? I say my bit and walk away, come back around bed time and suddenly there’s a wall of text. It surprisingly comforting knowing there are people nearly as verbose as I am, even if they do need a few more posts to complete their thoughts 😛

It’s actually kind of interesting how quickly I was expressly forbidden from ever playing a summoner in general, let alone a synthesist. I never even got to finish building the gorram character before I was told to start over without ever touching summoner again. See, I made the discovery of the Tiefling variant abilities, wherein you give up the ability to cast Darkness but gain the ability to never need to sleep. Since you don’t need to sleep, your eidolon never goes away (the only limitations for when it’s not present are active dismissal, unconsciousness of the summoner, or hitpoint damage to the eidolon itself). Since it never goes away, you’ve got all of it’s awesome abilities, all of it’s awesome senses, and (most importantly for the rather squishy summoner class) all of those glorious hit points. If you build it right, your synthesist summoner will have, on average, 50% more HP than a fighter with a better effective AC, plus the purpose built DR and ER as needed. Add in the tally-up of the (currently) highest stat boosts in the f*cking game via a single ability or spell (you can build a 15 pt character with 7, 7, 7, 14, 14, 18 before you even begin to factor racial ability mods. After your eidolon is summoned, you’ll be at 15, 15, 15 (averaged), plus your mental stats of decidedly awesome). Add in the self-heals the class gets and the general versatility of the secondary spell-casting progression, and you’re literally talking about a tank that just won’t die. That being said, It’s also a tank of awesome that is very, very vulnerable to Banishment and Dismissal, but if you make sure to grab a cloak of resistance and stack a high enough will save, you’ll do pretty well when the GM inevitably decides that you need to be put down to avoid causing him (or her) more misery.

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

You’ve been a busy little monkey this morning, haven’t you? I say my bit and walk away, come back around bed time and suddenly there’s a wall of text. It surprisingly comforting knowing there are people nearly as verbose as I am, even if they do need a few more posts to complete their thoughts 😛

You mean, your thoughts are so small that they can fit inside a single upload box? 😉

It’s actually kind of interesting how quickly I was expressly forbidden from ever playing a summoner in general, let alone a synthesist.

Remember #24 of the Gazillion Things Mr. Welch Can No Longer Do During an RPG: “Even if the rules allow it, I am not allowed to summon 50,000 Blue Whales.”

I never even got to finish building the gorram character before I was told to start over without ever touching summoner again. See, I made the discovery of the Tiefling variant abilities, wherein you give up the ability to cast Darkness but gain the ability to never need to sleep.

Did the GM also ban the Eunuch variant, which lets you give up your testicles in exchange for massive bonuses to Perform: Castrato Singing? 😉

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I scoped out a Synthesist and then decided to go with Niramour in the end.

I might take another look and see if I can make it work 🙂

As a group I don’t think we have a strong focus on min maxed characters (which is why we might be dead) 🙂

Hal :hal:

Miran
    • Commoner

Well, do be careful, there’s a difference between munchkining something (which I, admittedly, have a tendency to do) and optimizing it. Synthesist summoners almost blatantly walk over that line, so it takes a bit of patience and prescience to slow down and see which lines you’re crossing. The easiest way to do a decent job of staying on the right side of said line is to decide the type of creature you’re calling and build toward that (Dragons are a personal fav. of mine, but bears, phoenixes, demons, pretty much you name it is available). It saves the GM some hassle of figuring out what you’re going to be building and it gives a framework of sorts to prevent any obvious “hmm… the GM likes fire spells… let’s be immune to fire!” kind of thoughts. If you get desperate in a fight, you can always add resistances later, and it’s much easier to swallow a situational mod than a blatant, full-time immunity. That’s kind of the problem you get these days when you’re min-maxing stuff. It’s not as bad as it was in 3.5 (tho there is definite power creep happening in the paizo books), but the old “Don’t Munchkin at my table!” mentality is still around too.

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

The Gnome Bard Prankster archetype seems like it would be fun, if you can find a player who’s able to deliver an endless stream of puns and oneliners.

Apropos of nothing, have you guys asked @[member=”BigJackBrass”] if he’s interested in Google Hangout’ing with you? (The thought of having actual Pathfinder stats for a Dire Max Jollity is… dizzying.) 😛

The easiest way to do a decent job of staying on the right side of said line is to decide the type of creature you’re calling and build toward that (Dragons are a personal fav. of mine, but bears, phoenixes, demons, pretty much you name it is available).

What about a Summoner Synthesist, who uses his magical prowess to turn himself into the most dreaded creature in all the multiverse: a slightly tubby yet tireless Northern comedian? 😉

paul_shane.jpg

Incidentally, the Prankster class would’ve been perfect for @[member=Pat_OOTAKs_U]’s halfling bard, Thaddeus Hornigoat the stand-up comedian, in the Skull & Shackles campaign. 🙂 However, on second thought, the Prankster class is only available to Gnomes, so it might have been difficult for his halfling bard to qualify. Unless he’d changed him to a gnome, but then he couldn’t have been Eric’s character’s brother. Hmm, but on THIRD thought, Thaddeus was raised by a pair of loving Gelatinous Cubes, so in comparison, a gnome and a halfling being brothers doesn’t seem particularly far-fetched, at all. 😉 They could’ve been half-gnome/quarterlings, with Thaddeus being predominantly gnomish, and Eric’s character having inherited mostly halfling traits. (“You see, son: when a female halfling meets a gnome with a HUUUGE, um… nose, and they love each other very much…”)

Slartibartfast
    • Gelatinous Cube

It would be fascinating to hear a group that was more thematically homogeneous, a party that had some rationale for being a group, beyond the traditional “you were hired by a bloke in the pub” handwavery. Perhaps three characters that all were the same race? But something a little… exotic, mmm? What about: goblins? 😀 For example, the Goblins of Purity! source book features plenty of new character options – and if the group decides to go with the idea of having a ranger, a rogue and a paladin, they could try these exciting new archetypes: “the Dog Hunter ranger, the Friendly Picklechucker rogue, and the Peaceful Beachcomber paladin”. 🙂

(The book also features an “exciting reworking of the alignment system that allows you to play arsonists and baby-eaters while still being good-aligned”, which would interest Thing, and a “brand-new 20-level base class built especially for would-be goblin heroes: the Goblin Babysitter, a class that gets extensive use out of this book’s new ‘innocent accident’ charts”.)

Group concept – Gnome troubleshooters!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.