Forums RPGMP3 Podcast Audio Actual Play Recordings RPGMP3 Pathfinder Shattered Star Session 34

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

File Name: Shattered Star Session 34

File Submitter: Hal

File Submitted: 14 Jun 2014

File Category: Pathfinder

Genre: Fantasy

Profanity Level: Jolly Sweary Indeed

https://www.rpgmp3.com/files/game_recordings/RPGMP3/audio/shattered_star_session_34.mp3

http://youtu.be/XD_EkY9nBeY

A small, morally ambiguous mercenary band who were shadowing the original party sneak into the scene with the hope of mopping up what the first party started.

Apologies for any technical issues heard in this episode. We are having some problems with our local Comcast service being at capacity in the neighborhood. We are working to resolve the issue.

Featuring:

Lockhart – GM

Lindsay – Juniper the Tiefling Witch and Dyson her Dust Mephit Familiar

Thing – Goram the Half Orc Fighter

Hal – Damir Greycastle the Human Oracle of Battle

Click here to download this file

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

So – what do people think of the PCs in this one?

Hal :hal:

PrestoJeff
    • Thri-kreen

I’m still listening to Episode 35, but so far the party seems interesting. Definitely not as masochistic as the previous party :).

I’d be curious to know more about the character creation parameters. @[member=”Lockhart”], can you provide many details as to how this party was put together?

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

It was formed by blind taste test 😛

Muwahahahahahahahaha!

Hal :hal:

PrestoJeff
    • Thri-kreen

One thing I thought I heard was that the first party was hampered by not having two spellcasters (sorry, Garry, you were good, but not THAT good 🙂 ). Not playing Pathfinder myself, does the current party have “two spellcasters”? Are an Oracle and Witch the equivalent of a Wizard/Sorceror and Cleric?

It seems like you’re more prepared against invisible enemies, but still not against flying or other long-range enemies. Goram (“Gorram” (Firefly)?) has a bow, but I’m guessing he can’t dish out 30 points of damage the way his sword can.

Lockhart
    • Owlbear

@[member=”PrestoJeff”]

I’m still listening to Episode 35, but so far the party seems interesting. Definitely not as masochistic as the previous party :).I’d be curious to know more about the character creation parameters. @[member=”Lockhart”], can you provide many details as to how this party was put together?

Let’s see, I believe I told them to use 20-point buy, as I believe that is what the original characters had to start with. I gave them the starting gold for the level they started at, with the addendum that no one item could cost more than half that gold (which might be core rules anyway). They would receive full HP for the first level, Average HP for each other level. I heavily suggested that either someone be a character that would be capable of taking leadership, or if that was not the case, that I make a full GMPC to help buffer out the group. Other than that, I pretty much left the party to their own devices. It was just a general comments and discussions about what we all felt was good. But, Hal seemed to be going towards the divine option fairly early (there was a summoning cleric concept that was abandoned before Damir) and Thing going towards a Melee type, such as a Paladin, Fighter, or Barbarian. Once Lindsay decided to go for witch, I started on Alex in two version, cohort and Full DMPC, to fill up skill-monkey/support/minor melee. In general though, everyone made what they wanted and seemed to keep party balance in mind. Like a good co-herent group 😀

One thing I thought I heard was that the first party was hampered by not having two spellcasters (sorry, Garry, you were good, but not THAT good 🙂 ). Not playing Pathfinder myself, does the current party have “two spellcasters”? Are an Oracle and Witch the equivalent of a Wizard/Sorceror and Cleric?It seems like you’re more prepared against invisible enemies, but still not against flying or other long-range enemies. Goram (“Gorram” (Firefly)?) has a bow, but I’m guessing he can’t dish out 30 points of damage the way his sword can.

The current party technically has three spellcasters. An Oracle is directly comparable as the divine version of a Sorcerer, spontaneous spells, a lot of them, but limited spell selection. A witch is, well, it is a full caster, most similar to wizard, but it does have a limited spell-list, however, in my opinion, still has more than enough of the spells needed to function as the parties main arcanist. Alex, as a bard, also has magic, but not the spells a full-caster has. In general, she’s set up to use her spells as immediate actions, or as support/mini-cleric.

I wouldn’t say they’re too weak against range. Especially after the level up. The spellcasters have a fair bit of ranged damage spells. But it is certainly an area where they are not specialized.

Chewzter
    • Orc

When playing Pathfinder, I find it is (at least on high levels) very hard to get by without a full wizard. Just as it is hard to get by without a full healer (basically cleric) As soon as 5th or 6th lvl spells are getting thrown around (Black Tentacles for example) things start to get ugly without a wizard.

Part of this is the whole “linear fighters, quadratic wizards” thing. High level spells are just reeeaaaally ridiculous in some places. Another part is, that you will need someone for dispelling. Also, they will need to have high saves and the ability to get over SR, Wizard is just the best option.

Another thing I noticed while playing, is that ranged combat… doesn’t really exist if you don’t use it. If the PCs don’t explicitly stay at range, they will in 9 out of 10 cases close in on whoever is attacking them at range and that’s that. Any good spellcaster at around this level would have Greater Invisibility and Overland Flight active anyway, so range by itself would be useless. As long as you have a way to fly and See Invisibility/Invisibility Purg and you should be set 😀

katheb
    • Bullywug

Thing is now the destroyer of worlds apparently, jeez!

And feeble mind is intense.

Glad to listen to this game again.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.