Forums RPGMP3 Podcast Audio Actual Play Recordings RPGMP3 Pathfinder Shattered Star Session 35

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

File Name: Shattered Star Session 35

File Submitter: Hal

File Submitted: 14 Jun 2014

File Category: Pathfinder

Genre: Fantasy

Profanity Level: Jolly Sweary Indeed

https://www.rpgmp3.com/files/game_recordings/RPGMP3/audio/worlds_largest_dungeon_session_35.mp3

http://youtu.be/Sw3rcvLY6lA

The new party try to get along and pick up where the old party left off in hopes of making some money and finding some interesting items.

Apologies for any technical issues heard in this episode. We are having some problems with our local Comcast service being at capacity in the neighborhood. We are working to resolve the issue.

Featuring:

Lockhart – GM

Lindsay – Juniper the Tiefling Witch and Dyson her Dust Mephit Familiar

Thing – Goram the Half Orc Fighter

Hal – Damir Greycastle the Human Oracle of Battle

Click here to download this file

Lockhart
    • Owlbear

Could be wrong @[member=”Hal”], but this one appears to have been skipped over in the RSS feed.

Lockhart
    • Owlbear

@[member=”Hal”], actually, I might know why. You may have uploaded WLD 35 instead of Shattered Star 35 😛

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Its on the feed as far as I can see and the code looks OK!

Anyone else not seeing it?

Hal :hal:

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Ah crap 🙂

They are in the same folder 🙂 Fixing it now 😀

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

OK! Should be fixed now 🙂

Aethyr
    • Thri-kreen

I must say it is really weird hearing Thing consistently hit something with melee attacks.

insert witticism here

Lockhart
    • Owlbear

Don’t know if anyone else can confirm or deny, but Session 35 is still missing from my RSS feed.

Thing’s new character is certainly a departure from his usual squishy caster. He’s proving fairly effective in the smash-smash role. However, he is also now in the front line of taking the enemies attacks, and then there is the ever present risk of such an effective melee machine being turned against the party.

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I think it is fixed now 🙂

PrestoJeff
    • Thri-kreen

Yep, looks good to me.

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Yay! 🙂

PrestoJeff
    • Thri-kreen

@[member=”Lockhart”], can you speak about why you are allowing the new party to start at the same XP level as the previous party, and get all the XP that the previous party collected in the house? I might have considered starting them at base 9th level (70,000?) and only get the XP for the challenges that they themselves overcame.

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

It’s because he is lovely and felt super guilty about murdering us the first time 🙂

PrestoJeff
    • Thri-kreen

What about the weapons the first party had? Misaki/Sorshen/Treacle’s curved blade? Helga and Inga? Niramour’s hands and feet? 🙂

Lockhart
    • Owlbear

@[member=”PrestoJeff”]

@[member=”Lockhart”], can you speak about why you are allowing the new party to start at the same XP level as the previous party, and get all the XP that the previous party collected in the house? I might have considered starting them at base 9th level (70,000?) and only get the XP for the challenges that they themselves overcame.

I suppose, hindsight, I could’ve done that and used the lost exp to make any number of extra and additional content to make up for up. But, my main reason is that, at this level, it was a significant portion of exp. The module’s difficulty is quite simply laid out, and expects you to have the prior exp to be at the correct level. If I were to penalize them, I feel I would’ve just increased the future difficulty of the adventure, and therefore increase the chances of another TPK, because eventually they’d be up against an enemy that expects the whole party to be one level higher. While things worked out well that the game can survive 1 TPK, I don’t think it could suvive many more.

In my opinion, allowing them to start at the exact exp as their prior characters death, is no less contrived than allowing them to start at the same level. It’s done in order for them to be able to face the same challenges the prior party was capable of.

Side note: Since they are a three-person party (Cohort from Leadership doesn’t count), they are at an inherent disadvantage as the adventure is designed for four-people. That exp, which being split three ways instead of four, puts them a bit higher level than intended, and is something that I really do count on to even out the challenge difference. In general, it’s worked well in my opinion.

What about the weapons the first party had? Misaki/Sorshen/Treacle’s curved blade? Helga and Inga? Niramour’s hands and feet? 🙂

If you recall, the harpy the first party fought was only made unconcious. The behind-the-scenes reason, is that Berkanin discovers this, gives her a healing potion or two, they strip the valuable, but ultimately useless to them, items from the party, stuff the dead bodies in the bag, and the Harpy goes out to sell the items, the dead bodies (Kaer Maga, Necromancy is big business), gets the catgirl revived, etc. etc. This explains why the party found some, but not all, of their items, as Berkanin only kept what seemed interesting to him, a wizard.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.