Forums RPGMP3 Podcast Audio Actual Play Recordings RPGMP3 Pathfinder Shattered Star Session 36

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

File Name: Shattered Star Session 36

File Submitter: Hal

File Submitted: 14 Jun 2014

File Category: Pathfinder

Genre: Fantasy

Profanity Level: Jolly Sweary Indeed

https://www.rpgmp3.com/files/game_recordings/RPGMP3/audio/shattered_star_session_36.mp3

http://youtu.be/uk2Brn2j5DU

The party buy some needed items and venture below the city to look for the next shard.

Featuring:

Lockhart – GM

Lindsay – Juniper the Tiefling Witch and Dyson her Dust Mephit Familiar

Thing – Goram the Half Orc Fighter

Hal – Damir Greycastle the Human Oracle of Battle

Click here to download this file

tomlib
    • Orc

I haven’t listened yet but I’m curious how you are enjoying Pathfinder at higher levels so far from a player perspective and a GM perspective?

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I like Pathfinder – it seems to be my new benchmark for generic gaming.

There are times when I wish the character had more colour and that can be difficult without effort. It is easy to just play the numbers sometimes. Also I find you really have to optimize your character as much as possible otherwise you end up as a big fat weight to the rest of the party. This can make buying items, picking feats and powers an issue as you really need to concentrate on what gives you the greatest returns in the most situations.

My current new character, Damir the Battle Oracle, has picked a lot of the good revelations from the Battle mystery already so at high levels he is left scraping the barrel a little (which kind of feels a little bit like a let down after getting so high).

Otherwise – I like it – but I still prefer Rolemaster 😛

Hal :hal:

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

There are times when I wish the character had more colour and that can be difficult without effort. It is easy to just play the numbers sometimes. Also I find you really have to optimize your character as much as possible otherwise you end up as a big fat weight to the rest of the party. This can make buying items, picking feats and powers an issue as you really need to concentrate on what gives you the greatest returns in the most situations.

That’s nice, it’s always a good thing when your favorite hobby and pastime becomes an onerous chore – it’s like you’re roleplaying that you’re still at work! 😉

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Its not a chore – I am just saying that we need to use some blue sky thinking; think outside the box and incentive the players to push the envelope and perform a true cost / benefit to ensure that their choices are results-driven, a good strategic fit for the party and are going to increase collaboration and diversify the knowledge base within the problem space at hand. 🙂

Chewzter
    • Orc

I think you are correct in that you need to pay attention to the “usefulness” of your choices in Pathfinder. However, this is partially due to the playstyle in this particular campaign. Shattered Star is a fairly challenging in that respect, since it is very dungeon crawly IMO, just as Rise of the Runelords is a bit tough by design.

One thing to consider however:

The classes in Pathfinder are fairly strong as they are. Maybe with the exception of the Rogue, you can get a very strong character by just following the suggestions given for the Core Class. If you use those as a standard, then it becomes sort of understandable, that encounters can be harsh.

Another thing:

Final encounters are hard. They are supposed to be. You SHOULD be crawling at the end of such an encounter, otherwise there is no real risk factor.

And finally:

I suppose Paizo expects the party to have certain abilities at different levels. At lvl 7 every party is expected to have some means of flying, seeing/dispelling invisibility and so forth. The rule I generally go by is: If I could do it at my current level, I should prepare for my enemies to be able to do it as well. You can even use that rule for damage output. Just compare yourself to an NPC with comparable CR and set that as your minimum damage that you have to be able to throw out.

Also: Since it is very fun to turn enemies into a fine aerosol, optimization has its good points as well 😉 as long as it’s not overdone.

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I could easily min/max a character for every single advantage possible 🙂

I think Niramour was a lot more optimized than Damir. Damir has frivolous choices that make him look cool – like Sleeves of Many Garments and Mithral Full Plate because it looks nice 🙂

I also took Apprentice’s Cheating Gloves to get access to Prestidigitation so I can clean myself and make things smell nice and look pretty 🙂 

This was partly driven by a desire to have some character in the character and not be totally weighed down by the optimization part of the game.

I think I might start and build some optimized characters for Pathfinder and upload them so people have a quick reference that they can dip into. I once did it for all the Rolemaster classes with my friend Michael and that took a lloooooooong time so comparatively this is just and quiet afternoon 😀

Tulty
    • Thri-kreen

I know I’d find that very useful! It’s sometimes surprisingly difficult when building characters for Pathfinder to find comprehensive advice on various optimisations,

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

I think I might start and build some optimized characters for Pathfinder and upload them so people have a quick reference that they can dip into. I once did it for all the Rolemaster classes with my friend Michael and that took a lloooooooong time so comparatively this is just and quiet afternoon 😀

Optibuilds has a selection of free, downloadable Pathfinder character builds. (In varying stages of completeness.)

There’s also a thread featuring optimized builds on the Paizo forums and a VERY long list on the Zenith Games blog.

Natural Twenties is a list of fun character builds, optimized for entertainment value, but allegedly with quite high efficacy, as well. (Check out the “Rogue as a tank” and “Strength-based Sorcerer” builds.)

This “Guide of Guides” features a compiled list of handy reference pdfs. It’s worth a look, even just to browse the titles. For example:

• Why work when others can do it for you – a guide to Summoning
    • BARBARIAN AM SMASH – A Practical Guide to Breaking Faces
    • Hubble, bubble, toil and trouble. Fire burn and cauldron bubble (A guide to Witches: Pathfinder Rules)
    • Oradin Mini-Guide. Or, How to be a Healbot, minus the ‘bot’, by grarrrg
    • Archetype Combos: Doing all the work b/c reading charts is bloody annoying by Cieyrin
    • Pathfinder: Dipping for Fun and Profit (mostly Profit) by grarrrg
    • Treantmonk’s Guide to Pathfinder Wizards: Being a God
    • The (almost) Complete Guide to Sorcerers: A Minstrel’s Take on God’s Hot Sister

It even includes a link to another compiled list of guides! 🙂

tomlib
    • Orc

I think a lot of people enjoy the optimization nature of Pathfinder/3.x but it’s what I find a real drag. I want to play a character. I want to role-play. I don’t get satisfaction from dealing out 150 damage from a single hit. I get satisfaction from successfully working with a team and solving an issue.

I do think the Pathfinder Adventurers are not designed nearly as badly as the D&D adventurers which seem to take optimization for granted and are filled with incredibly powerful foes.

It’s my opinion that it is up to the GM to present appropriate foes for the party to fight, not up to the party to create characters appropriate to the enemies the GM presents. Back when I was running Pathfinder/3.x I ended up creating pre-gen characters based on what the player told me they wanted. This kept one player from having a super-character and another from having a useless bag of cement.

It’s why I’ve gotten away from rules heavy systems like Pathfinder which is certainly less crazy than D&D with all the splat books

Simply, my philosophy is that the play is the thing, that dice rolling is a statistical exercise of little interest to me.

I know I’m a little unusual in that but I can’t bring myself to jump for joy when I roll a 19 for initiative. If other people enjoy that then that’s great, it’s just not for me.

I absolutely love a Virtual Table (I use MapTool) that roles the dice for the players and keeps minds focused on the goals rather than the intricacies of mathematical equations. I’m running a rules-light system based on Talislanta and love it.

Tom

I like Pathfinder – it seems to be my new benchmark for generic gaming.

My current new character, Damir the Battle Oracle, has picked a lot of the good revelations from the Battle mystery already so at high levels he is left scraping the barrel a little (which kind of feels a little bit like a let down after getting so high).

Otherwise – I like it – but I still prefer Rolemaster 😛

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.