Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter World’s Largest Dungeon Starting the World’s Largest Dungeon

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Keefort
    • Commoner

First off apoligies if this has been asked before but I’m neew here 🙂

Anyhow I’m going to be running the WLD in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if any had any good advice or ideas on preperaing for and running this monster.

Also is there any house rules people would or have adopted for it?

Salubrai
    • Succubus

Hal is definitely your go-to guy, but it might be interesting if Fin, Steve, Paul or Lindsay contributed their opinions on this. I am curious how Steve’s style would contrast with Hal’s, to be certain. Has Linds ever GM’ed?

IMHO, Paul and Fin are more hardass GM’s than Hal or Steve. Just what I feel. 🙂 Paul because of the system he favours, and Fin? Well… I cannot say why, but I think he would!

riddles
    • Succubus

OK, Advice on WLD

1. Read it First!

At the very least skim over the intros for each section and thoroughly read section A, comparing it with the map. Also, have fun with (mainly in later later sections) trying to tie up what’s on the map with the descriptions.

2. Listen to RPGMP3.com!

OK, this you may not want to do, at least before your party goes through the various areas, but alot of the problems have come up in the broadcast and Hal et al have solved them in certain ways.

3. Think about house rules.

This really depends on you and the players, but it’s hard down there and some rules seem to easily be extended or modified without changing their balance. For example, I play Eschew Materials that if the cost of the materials is over 1 gp, you can swop out the actual component for something similar of the same or higher cost. For my group it means that people other than clerics actually cast identify down the dungeon…

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

paul, ass, picture . . . arrrrrrgggggggggggggh

Anyway, My first suggestion is to stick a bunch of random monster in some of the corridors. that would make it more interesting, oh, and make some stairs, like from 1 area to another.

SteveB
    • Orc

Where to start, where to start?

Definitely some good advice earlier…read the sections before starting. Read as much of A, B and E as you think you can remember. You will, no doubt, find the glaring errors in the Room numbering and indexing. Make a note of them in pencil in the margins, or on Post-It notes. This will save lots of “huh! This makes no sense!”

Have a small pad, or book or something to make a note of things that have happened, as some things are dependant upon others.

Read and consider some of the optional changes to the game. Hal didn’t ban summoning spells, but out of character choice they’re not being used. Other, less scrupulous parties may wreak havoc upon themselves and everything in the dungeon by the same rulings 😆 But, you know your group (hopefully) and know what will and won’t work.

If I think of any more, I’ll post them here.

riddles
    • Succubus
    SteveB wrote:

Read and consider some of the optional changes to the game. Hal didn’t ban summoning spells, but out of character choice they’re not being used. Other, less scrupulous parties may wreak havoc upon themselves and everything in the dungeon by the same rulings 😆 But, you know your group (hopefully) and know what will and won’t work.

Yeah, this a really important question too.

I banned summoning spells (but let the players know in advance). Hal went another way, but the players found out what was happening quite quickly (luckily they had a whining halfling), but as Steve said, if weren’t a “good” party and they wanted to be gits about it, they could have made Hal’s life a misery with that.

Oh another one. There are some suggestions for skills/feats for players. Mine COMPLETELY ignored them, at least until party members began to be replaced. They are pretty useful and help a party ALOT if they take heed of them.

Keefort
    • Commoner

Thanks for all the advice so far some really useful idea people. Have already been listening to RPGMP3 session and I can only hope my game goes that well 😀

Anyhow I have read through section A so far and have glanced over sections B & E and only seen a couple of things that seem wrong. Are most of the problems map related, with rooms in the wrong location or similar? As for marking the book I think might but unfortunately it’s not mine so I shouldn’t vandalise it to much I think

For summoning spells and the like I should be fine as the group I’ll be playing with are luckly a good lot on the whole with only one person who might be considered a power player. And even though he usually plays mages he wants to play a barbarian in the WLD just so he can eat people! Have to see how this pans out

The ideas about stairs and wandering monsters to bulk out the dungeon is something else I was thinking about as Section A seems quite dull in a way. Anyelse agree with this or is it just meant to be a slightly slower start to get the PC’s used to there new home?

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

Suggestion 2, tape it and put it up as audio. I need more 3e listening stuff!

Salubrai
    • Succubus

Simply from the experience of listening to WLD, I would suggest that the number of traps, the experience from such – the potential upscaled challenge of the increase challenge level suggestions might give the players more than enough to deal with on their own. In fact, due to the dearth of chances to actually talk with monsters (or so it seems), you might want to do what Hal did – and make conditions under which almost any non-fiendish, intelligent monster can be appealed to (be creative, and different of course) in a non-violent fashion – barring of course they have an item the players MUST get through combat. I always find that a risky conversation that COULD end in combat – and yet could be successful, if you’re creative enough, is always a fun way to put in something other than tons of fighting and trap breaking.

Just a suggestion of course.

And yes, it would be nice to hear your own RPGMP3-like experience.

Keefort
    • Commoner

Recording our sessions sounds like a lot of fun but I’d have absolutly no idea where to start on doing something like that and the club where it will be run is home to a multitude of groups so could be too noisey.

As for the roleplaying opportunities presented in the WLD, it’s something I’m quite looking forward too, as I’m happy to say I’m not the most experienced of GM’s so it should be good practice.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘World’s Largest Dungeon’ is closed to new topics and replies.