Forums Archive Non RPG Chatter Non Gaming Chat Technical Question

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube

Ok, I know there are some tech savvy users who visit these forums. Based on the maintenance of a site of this sophistication, the work needed to prep and deliver mp3 audio, as the fact that you’ve made here and are reading or writing posts indicates a fair degree of technical savvy… probably for some much more than a ‘fair degree’.

I work in Information Technology. I had a co-worker stop by today with as she put it, ‘a technical question’. I put on my thinking cap ready to troubleshoot a network or e-mail program or perhaps do a bit of programming. My co-worker then holds up a printer cable in her hand and asks “How long is this cable? I need to know if I move my printer if it will still reach the computer.”

…there are days I fear for the human race. Today is one of them. 🙄

Enoa4

Wellard
    • Orc

You have my deepest sympathy

PaulofCthulhu
    • Owlbear
    ENoa4 wrote:
    ..there are days I fear for the human race. Today is one of them. 🙄 Enoa4

You should, remember the old saying:

Jesus saves,

Allah protects,

Cthulhu thinks you’d make a nice sandwich

ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube

😆 Thanks. I needed that.

Cob37
    • Gelatinous Cube
    ENoa4 wrote:
    My co-worker then holds up a printer cable in her hand and asks “How long is this cable? I need to know if I move my printer if it will still reach the computer.”

Enoa4

Well Mr. IV? How long is it? 😈

ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube

Ok. I’ve got another technical question from the same user I mentioned earlier in this thread.

The user comes in looking very serious. Again I brace myself prepared to answer an important and or challenging questions.

User: “If I make an exact copy of this CD, will everything on this (first CD) be on that CD (second CD).”

Oh my….

Ffaern
    • Orc

I’m reminded of an excellent usefriendly strip (http://www.userfriendly.org) (go there now if you’re a geek) where the marketing guy (Stef) sticks his head around the door to speak to Tech Support (Greg)…

Greg: What do you mean, “fax him some web pages?”

Stef: Just that. He sent us some URLs and he wants the pages faxed to him.

Greg: Does he have a computer?

Stef: Yes.

Greg: Does he have a net connection?

Stef: Yes.

Greg: Then why doesn’t he just go to the web page HIMSELF?!

Stef: He doesn’t have a printer.

I get asked stuff like this every other day and I’ve been in the biz for 25 years. The questions are the same, it’s just the subjects that change.

tomlib
    • Orc

There is a story, mostly likely apocryphal, about a Help Desk technician and a hapless user that goes something like this (summarized for the sake of the readers).

User: My monitor is not working.

Help Desk Support: Is there an orange light, a green light, or no light in front?

U: No light.

HDS: Check the back of the PC to make sure the plug is in.

U: (pause) It’s connected.

HDS: Go under the desk and and check the plug from the monitor to the computer.

U: That’s not going to be easy.

HDS: Why not?

U: It’s dark in here.

HDS: Why is it dark?

U: The power is out.

HDS: Oh.

Anyway, that’s the way I heard it.

Tom

EegahInc
    • Gelatinous Cube

That’s no myth. That’s my mother-in-law every other week. No joke.

riddles
    • Succubus
    tomlib wrote:
    There is a story, mostly likely apocryphal, about a Help Desk technician and a hapless user that goes something like this (summarized for the sake of the readers).

User: My monitor is not working.

Help Desk Support: Is there an orange light, a green light, or no light in front?

U: No light.

HDS: Check the back of the PC to make sure the plug is in.

U: (pause) It’s connected.

HDS: Go under the desk and and check the plug from the monitor to the computer.

U: That’s not going to be easy.

HDS: Why not?

U: It’s dark in here.

HDS: Why is it dark?

U: The power is out.

HDS: Oh.

Anyway, that’s the way I heard it.

Tom

Doesn’t the story go on?

The way I heard it was…

HDS: I’m sorry, you’ll need to put the computer back in the box and take it back to the shop

U: Who it’s that serious?

HDS: Yes, I’m afraid so

U: What should I tell the shop?

HDS: You need to tell them that you’re a moron and too f*cking stupid to own a computer!

(The guy on the HDS was asked to leave shortly after this…)

ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube

Thank you for comizerating. I was losing my mind.

I’ve got what I view as classic story I was present for. I was working as a sales associate/tech support guy 10-12 years ago. We got a call from a customer who’s floppy disk did not work. The person in question got a 5.25 inch floppy and folded it in half to fit in their 3.5 inch drive. Ugly…. very ugly.

The comic strip is awesome. I’ve bookmarked it.

Too funny.

ENoa4

WhiteKnight
    • Gelatinous Cube

I work in IT support too, though thankfully largely removed from the users. We do however get a steady stream of faults which get past all the filters and make you want to bang tour head ont he desk. In fact a couple of desks do indeed have signs on them saying “Bang Head Here!”

There’s a lot of useful acronyms in our business, butI have generally found the most useful to be PEBCAK, (Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard).

ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube

That’s fantastic. I’m going to start telling people they have a PEBCAK error. Then again, maybe I shouldn’t. 😆

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Non Gaming Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.