Forums Archive RPGMP3 RPG Collaboration Files and Information The Book of Mundane Magic

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Fox
    • Thri-kreen
    Isis wrote:
    Don’t know about GP cost,etc, but I’d find this useful.

Huh! So I did the math and well i am not sure if I did it correct or not. I wish things were more formalized in making magical items. A bit of it is just guess work. Here are the numbers I came up with for your item.

Coinpurse of The Moneychanger

Familiar Pocket (see Spell Compendium)

A) 100 charges (unlimited): (1 x 1 x 750) * 2 = 1500

😎 use-activated: 1 x 1 x 2000 / 2 = 1000

Total: 2500

Polymorph

A) 100 charges (unlimited): (4 x 7 x 750) * 2 = 42000

😎 Duration Adjustment: 42000 * 2 = 84000

Total: 126000

Base price adjustment multiple powers: 2500 * 1.5 = 3750 + 126000

Market Price: 129750 gp, Creation Cost: 64875 gp

I did some thinking about this and I think I found some spells that should be suitable for this item. I first was going to use Major Creation and Secret Chest but after doing the math it turned out to be stupidly expensive. So I went with Polymorph instead and we’ll just use it instead as we’re turning the coins into a different value/worth. Instead of actually creating new coinage. That and Familiar Pocket will handle the extra-dimensional space issue for storing the coinage.

I may have fudged things by using the grossly cheaper Familiar Pocket as the base for the price adjustment for multiple powers but the math works out cheaper this way and what’s a little fudging of math between friends eh?

centauri
    • Owlbear

Water Watch

This item appears to be a crystal sphere affixed to an elegant chain and small enough to sit in a human hand. Upon closer inspection one can see within the sphere a delicate network of glass tubes, metal dials and wooden frames, containing a tiny quantity of colored fluid. A DC 10 Knowledge (architecture and engineering) check correctly identifies this apparatus as a tiny water clock showing the correct local time and date.

The mechanism of the water watch is stable within its sphere and it is impossible to jostle or upset the timepiece without enough force to break the sphere itself. Should the sphere crack (which it will do under anything other than light handling), it implodes with a muffled crunch, reducing itself and its contents to powder and a wisp of steam.

The water watch always shows the correct time and date in a format the holder understands. If taken to another plane (and kept intact) it continues to track time on its plane of origin. If taken long distances on its plane of origin, the device will subtly adjust itself, usually in accordance with the local sunrise and sunset or other significant sidereal events.

Faint transmutation and conjuration; shrink item, create water CL 5; price 1000 gp. (not calculated)

Fox
    • Thri-kreen
    centauri wrote:
    Water Watch

Now that is damned cool. Totally useful and practical too! Mundane but totally handy and worthwhile! I can see many a gnomish tinker having that device!

centauri
    • Owlbear
    Fox wrote:
    centauri wrote:
    Water Watch

Now that is damned cool. Totally useful and practical too! Mundane but totally handy and worthwhile! I can see many a gnomish tinker having that device!

Thanks. I’ve always had a place in my heart for the poor, unpurchased water clock. It’s been on the books since 1st edition, I think, and I’ll bet that in all that time no one has ever bought it, or even bothered to place it in a room. It should really provide a bonus to Craft(alchemy) checks and the like, and it would be a great timer for a devious trap. I once had an idea for a really over the top monster that eats tarresques for breaqfast but has one weakness. It’s DR is 25/water clock.

Fox
    • Thri-kreen
    centauri wrote:
    Fox wrote:
    centauri wrote:
    Water Watch

Thanks. I’ve always had a place in my heart for the poor, unpurchased water clock.

I have a plan to include it or a metronome as the basis for a cunning trap. Wow… epiphany. I’ll have to draft that up later! But for now I have to draft up a few more mundane magic items or some more harmless spells. Back to the salt-mine!

Boonide
    • Thri-kreen

I saw this one in Dragon magazine (issue 342) in the ecology of the adventurer article so I don’t know (for various reasons) if you can/want to use it. I found it quite funny though.

Chair of Propping

When placed against a door, this magical chair prevents the door from opening if the door is closed, or closing if the door is open. The chair can only be removed by the person who placed the chair against the door, or by an interior decorator.

Moderate evocation; CL 10th Craft Wondrous Item, wall of force; Price 100,000 gp; weight 3lb.

Seems a bit powerful for a mundane item but take it as you want.

centauri
    • Owlbear

Ioun Stone

Color: Transparent

Shape: Tetrahedron

Effect: Repels all normal fleas, ticks, parasites, and similar vermin.

Market Price: 175 gp

Note: Unlike other ioun stones, the transparent tetrahedron does not orbit its owner’s head, but hovers just out of its line of sight, so as not to cause a distraction. Also, it can be released in such a way to follow another creature, rather than the one releasing it.

Ioun stones are my favorite magical items, simply because they’re so ostentatiously magical, and there just aren’t enough of them in the D&D worlds.

Fox
    • Thri-kreen

Apologies, I was intending to post up some more but I was occupied with other things. With luck I’ll work on posting some others up. In the meantime here is one item I came up with today.

Animal Collar of Domestication

Created by druids or rangers and sold to city folk. It is made of fine tanned leather with a buckle made of the finest brass or silver. This collar can turn the largest slobbering enraged dog into the nicest friendly puppy. Sought after by many parents prior to purchasing a family pet for their little one.

Minor Enchantment; CL 3rd; Charm Animal; Craft Wondrous Item; Market Price: 2500 gp; Creation Cost: 1250 gp; Weight: 0.5 lb

centauri
    • Owlbear

Light Pump

This bulky 5′ x 5′ x 5′ contraption, by means of lenses, mirrors, tubes, crystals, pistons, and various magical inducers, serves to force light from one region to another. The practical upshot of the device is that it can brighten dark spaces and darken bright spaces.

A light pump can only move light, not darkness, so one end of it must be connected to a lighted area, known as the reservoir, in order for the pump to operate. A typical pump can take a 10′ x 10′ x 10′ volume of light from the reservoir and place it in another, the destination. An area must be light-tight for any change in illumination to take place. A 20′ x 20′ x 20′ volume undergoes half as much a change in illumination – that is, a 20′ x 20′ x 20′ reservoir will go from bright to shadowy and a 20′ x 20′ x 20′ destination will go from pitch darkness to shadowy. Volumes 30′ x 30′ x 30′ or larger undergo no noticeable change in illumination. The reservoir must always be at least 10′ x 10′ x 10′ but the destination may be smaller. A smaller destination does not get any brighter than the reservoir.

Pumps large enough to brighten or darken larger areas are possible, but are rare due to the difficulty in making larger areas light-tight and the cost of building a more powerful pump. Multiple pumps can be combined to move larger volumes of light, but, again, the light-tight requirement often makes this infeasible.

The changes in illumination are uniform. The light is not brighter or darker nearer to the pump. This has the effect of eliminating shadows in the destination room. Only natural light and natural darkness are affected by the workings of a light pump. Air and heat are not affected; a torch still gives off heat even if its light has been pumped into another room. Creatures able to see in the dark see lightless flames as flame-shaped blobs of translucent vapor. Sunlight pumped into a room acts for all purposes as real sunlight, unless the room is too large to undergo illumination.

A light pump draws it power from specially cut and treated quartz crystals fused to the pump’s chassis. These are consumed over the course of the machine’s operation, but can last days, months, or years, depending on the designer of the pump. After the designed time, the crystals are rendered useless and the entire machine must be overhauled to return it to operation. Some light-pumps are equipped with levers that allow the pump to be effectively “turned off” though the crystals continue to be consumed. A light-pump operates almost silently, but a DC 10 Listen check adjacent to the pump will detect a soft buzzing noise.

Light-pumps are fragile and will cease working if subject to violence of any kind.

(I’m really not sure on the spells or cost for this. Light and darkness don’t seem appropriate because they simply create light. Maybe some kind of conjuration makes sense. It should be quite expensive, in any case. Also heavy.)

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • The forum ‘Files and Information’ is closed to new topics and replies.