Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter Dungeons and Dragons 4e The Characters

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Lindsay
    • Succubus

What do you think of them?

There has been lots (and lots and lots and lots) of chatter about the rules, the game, the mini’s element, but there has been very little said about the characters..

Who is your fave? Who annoys the crap out of you? Opinions, praise, let us know what you think of the Characters…

A recap

Lindsay wrote:
    Hal – GM

The Players

David – Torinn – Dragonborn Fighter (2 handed type)

Ned – Giladril Elsiari – Elven Ranger (Archer type)

John/Goggles – Nerevar – Eladrin Warlord (Tactical type)

James – Nyess – 1/2 Elf Warlock (James initially created a character he later exchanged for this one)

james_blunt.jpg

Lindsay – Quillan Hilltopple – Halfling Rogue

Ruby

centauri
    • Owlbear

The picture of James never seems to come through. How can I decide if he annoys me if I can’t see his picture?

Snappyapple
    • Orc

I’ve already decided that Splug is the best. 😀 I think there might be some resonating opinions on that.

muradib
    • Thri-kreen

Aye Aye splug is or man, creature, goblin thingy 🙂

Lindsay
    • Succubus
    centauri wrote:
    The picture of James never seems to come through. How can I decide if he annoys me if I can’t see his picture?

sssh, i dont have his photo so its one of James C..Blunt

blinkhic
    • Commoner

I say down with splug and up with lindsay (dont worry i’m married). The guys needs a women to keep them in line!!!!

centauri
    • Owlbear
    Lindsay wrote:
    sssh, i dont have his photo so its one of James C..Blunt

All I see is a white square with a red X.

Hey! He looks like me!

… Is he a Beta Unit?

Am I?

Telemergion
    • Owlbear

Aside from the obvious praise for Splug, I’ve always been a fan of Ned’s elves, who never seem to get the respect they deserve.

MelkiorWhiteblade
    • Owlbear

I think Splug is pretty good too. He does remind me of another golbin who died an untimely death to a cloudkill trap.

In terms of the actual characters? I kind of like Giladril. He does seem to be a stereotypical elf.

The warlock curses things, but that’s all we see of his ‘dark’ side.

The warlord just sounds bossy, instead of commanding.

The fighter, for being some sort of strange dragon thing, acts very much like a human. I don’t know if that is intentional or not.

The_Nalic
    • Orc

I think they’re nothing a good Hilltopple won’t sort out 😉

BigJackBrass
    • Drider
    The_Nalic wrote:
    I think they’re nothing a good Hilltopple won’t sort out 😉

Is that a euphemism? 😀

Murine_Archmage
    • Thri-kreen

Just out of curiosity, could anyone give their opinion of any character other than Splug in full paragraph form? Maybe some tips, maybe a constructive criticism or two . . .

Please?

Keener
    • Drider
    Murine_Archmage wrote:
    Just out of curiosity, could anyone give their opinion of any character other than Splug in full paragraph form? Maybe some tips, maybe a constructive criticism or two . . .

Please?

I don’t really have any criticisms I like that it seems that most of you are playing a character and giving it a personality that seems to be separate from your own. 😀

kevinha
    • Commoner
    Murine_Archmage wrote:

Please?

While not a direct answer to your ask, one of the things I have found entertaining in Splug that is missing from the other characters is his motive and interaction that sparks conversation and interaction with others in a role playing mode.

I bring this up because it has sparked me to think more critically about how I play my own character in KotS; to move it from me working through stats with occasional moments of role playing to making the character leap off the page (although I credit much of the liveliness to Hal’s vocal abilities with Splug.)

I’ve caught hints of this from James in his whispers to others and his attempts to embody his combat actions with additional personalized flavor.

If anything, I would offer up that more creative approaches to the party’s moves in combat, introduction character traits and habits would build more character into the, well, characters.

I would love to see Ned play up his clothing fetish. It started a bit, but has since dropped off.

It’s clear that David attacks first, asks questions later and is generally not the most quiet when it comes to Stealth. Again, these are traits that would be interesting to see more clearly and developed.

For you (assuming it’s Goggles asking the question), your embodiment of the warlord to direct and lead is appearing, but it comes across as dry and lacking in motivation.

It’s unclear how character development is staged to proceed given how KotS has unfolded thus far. It would be nice if there were character background we were unaware of that could be leveraged into the scenario.

Furthermore, the introduction of a skill challenge could very well begin to pull out additional character traits and role playing opportunities. I don’t know if there is a spot within KotS forthcoming for skill challenges or not.

With that said, I’ve been thoroughly enjoying your KotS sessions, but I will admit they improved greatly with the introduction to Splug … and you don’t want to be overshadowed by an NPC.

Keep up the good work!

Snappyapple
    • Orc

Being reminded of Ned’s cleaniness obsession from the previous post, maybe he should convince the ritual-casting member of the party to pick up the Fastidiousness ritual presented in Dragon 366. Or pick up lots of scrolls of it if he’s desperate enough for portable dry-cleaning. 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • The forum ‘Dungeons and Dragons 4e’ is closed to new topics and replies.