Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter Thistledown Gamers’ Guild The Hideous Length of 4e Combat

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ThistledownJohn
    • Gelatinous Cube

We are enjoying the Purifiers campaign ran by GM Nathan, but there is an aspect of it that is nagging at us. It’s the length of the combats in 4e. I know this is a topic that has been discussed many times over, and might be better suited for a part of the forum where system-y things are bandied about. Nevertheless, I have posted it here, as it’s not only a “game play” issue, but an “audio listening” issue as well. As I know from editing, two or three hour combat sessions can be a total bore when heard.

So, do any of you 4e people out there have any suggestions on how to speed the combat along?

Note: Before anyone leaps to the reply, “Just play Pathfinder, instead!” We are currently considering this as an option… 😀

Snappyapple
    • Orc

Half everything’s hitpoints? I heard it was an unofficial suggestion in one of the D&D columns, and it might work well if your characters already have a few levels so as not to get one-shot’d. But, since I don’t really play 4e I don’t know how well it works or if there’s other solutions.

ThistledownJohn
    • Gelatinous Cube
    Snappyapple wrote:
    Half everything’s hitpoints?

I think that’s an excellent idea…and an easy one to implement.

Daniel
    • Succubus
    ThistledownJohn wrote:
    Snappyapple wrote:
    Half everything’s hitpoints?

I think that’s an excellent idea…and an easy one to implement.

It worked like a gem using just that when I ran Dragon Age a while back – especially due to the sheer weight of time to kill anything in that system.

God I hate that system…

MelkiorWhiteblade
    • Owlbear

Considering the political climate, cutting a valuable resource like hp in half won’t be very popular. I think doubling damage would be a much better idea. 😉

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Also, all attacks get critical threat range 2-20/X4. Ultra-keen Gnomish pickaxes, ahoy! 😈

ThistledownJohn
    • Gelatinous Cube
    MelkiorWhiteblade wrote:
    Considering the political climate, cutting a valuable resource like hp in half won’t be very popular. I think doubling damage would be a much better idea. 😉

Double damage, eh? Now that’s one I hadn’t considered…*ponders*

ross
    • Gelatinous Cube

D&D is a slily game

play savege worlds instead 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Thistledown Gamers’ Guild’ is closed to new topics and replies.