Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter World’s Largest Dungeon Throwing a bone to the halfling: About small weapons

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #552320
    mchvlichldprdgy
    • Posts : 1168
    • Owlbear

    I’m new to the rpgmp3 scene, and as such have only listened to the first six sessions, so this may have been resolved already, but the shortsword IS a small weapon, and as such, the short sword you found should do 1d6+1+str in anyones hands, and could be used one handed by all small and larger creatures.

    http://www.opensourcegaming.org/srd/SRDEquipmentI.rtf[/url]

    #564687
    riddles
    • Posts : 2288
    • Succubus

    If Faylin uses the weapon 2-handed, she uses it as a medium creature (1d6), otherwise she uses it as a small creature (1d4).

    The d4 rather than d6 is a meaure of the size of the character as well as the size of the weapon.

    Otherwise this rule applies

    Quote:

    A creature can’t make optimum use of a weapon that isn’t properly sized for it. A cumulative -2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between the size of its intended wielder and the size of its actual wielder. If the creature isn’t proficient with the weapon a -4 nonproficiency penalty also applies.

    #564688
    SteveB
    • Posts : 136
    • Orc

    Er, not sure, but I believe that although a short sword is a light weapon, as standard it is a medium sized light weapon. And so, as Riddles posted, Feylin would have to use it in two hands, and thus be dealing 1d6 damage. However, as it was discovered as a small sized version, it only does 1d4 damage, and can be used by Feylin in one hand. Used by anybody else, they would take the non-profociency penalty described by Riddles, above, unless the GM ruled it was sufficiently like a dagger to be used as such.

    Ref: Player’s Handbook v3.5 pp 113-116

    #564689
    Salubrai
    • Posts : 2940
    • Succubus
    mchvlichldprdgy wrote:
    I’m new to the rpgmp3 scene, and as such have only listened to the first six sessions, so this may have been resolved already, but the shortsword IS a small weapon, and as such, the short sword you found should do 1d6+1+str in anyones hands, and could be used one handed by all small and larger creatures.

    http://www.opensourcegaming.org/srd/SRDEquipmentI.rtf[/url]

    So, how did you find RPGMP3?

    #564690
    mchvlichldprdgy
    • Posts : 1168
    • Owlbear

    I found RPGMP3 through the iTunes Podcasting thing.

    As for the weaponry thing I have a quote from the SRD:

    “Tiny, Small, Medium-Size, and Large Weapons: The size of a weapon compared to a character’s size determines whether for the character the weapon is light, one-handed, two-handed, or too large to use.

    Light: If the weapon’s size category is smaller than the character’s, then the weapon is light for that character. Light weapons are easier to use in the off hand, and they can be used while grappling. A light weapon can be used in one hand. There is no special bonus when using such a weapon in two hands.

    One-Handed: If the weapon’s size category is the same as a character’s, then the weapon is one-handed for that character. If a one-handed melee weapon is used two-handed, apply one and a half times the character’s Strength bonus to damage (provided the character has a bonus). “

    Weapons are listed with Size categories, which makes these conditions apply to them. A halfling using a short sword is a small creature using a small weapon, therefore she can use a shortsword one handed without reducing its size. She could use a longsword or any medium sized weapon two handed, and any tiny weapon (ie a dagger), would be classified as light for her. The light crossbow as well, should have a 1d8 damage rating for her, because it is also classified as a small weapon.

    These are all from the 3.0 rules, but I believe it carries over into 3.5

    Though I just looked at the 3.5 SRD and it is sufficently vague on the matter that I have absolutley NO idea what is going on. I am now solidly of the opinion that 3.5 is a waste and everyone should Mob wotc and kill the moneymongers for releasing a subpar system just to make more money.

    #564691
    Cob37
    • Posts : 555
    • Gelatinous Cube
    mchvlichldprdgy wrote:
    I am now solidly of the opinion that 3.5 is a waste and everyone should Mob wotc and kill the moneymongers for releasing a subpar system just to make more money.

    WotC has never received one red cent from me. I’m doing just fine with 2E and my house rules.

    I do like listening to the 3E games just to see if they have any cool things I can steal and so far I have stolen a couple of new ideas.

    #564692
    riddles
    • Posts : 2288
    • Succubus
    mchvlichldprdgy wrote:
    I found RPGMP3 through the iTunes Podcasting thing.

    Hurrah! Welcome to the throng!

    mchvlichldprdgy wrote:
    Weapons are listed with Size categories, which makes these conditions apply to them. A halfling using a short sword is a small creature using a small weapon, therefore she can use a shortsword one handed without reducing its size. She could use a longsword or any medium sized weapon two handed, and any tiny weapon (ie a dagger), would be classified as light for her. The light crossbow as well, should have a 1d8 damage rating for her, because it is also classified as a small weapon.

    I may be wrong (& often am!), but isn’t there a small category against Short Sword in 3.0? I’m at work & so can’t check my 3.0 players book, but I’m pretty certain that the weapon does less damage if you’re small.

    mchvlichldprdgy wrote:
    These are all from the 3.0 rules, but I believe it carries over into 3.5

    Ah, now here you’re assuming that there was logic in the changes from 3.0 to 3.5, and not just general panic on WotC’s part… 🙂

    mchvlichdprdgy wrote:

    Though I just looked at the 3.5 SRD and it is sufficently vague on the matter that I have absolutley NO idea what is going on. I am now solidly of the opinion that 3.5 is a waste and everyone should Mob wotc and kill the moneymongers for releasing a subpar system just to make more money.

    Ah, but if the rules were perfect, we’d lose all the arguing/hand waving that these forums love! 😀

    Besides, I need something to do whilst waiting for code to compile! 😉

    #564693
    WerewolfPaladin
    • Posts : 418
    • Thri-kreen

    From: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm

    Quote:

    Every weapon has a size category. This designation indicates the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed.

    A weapon’s size category isn’t the same as its size as an object. Instead, a weapon’s size category is keyed to the size of the intended wielder. In general, a light weapon is an object two size categories smaller than the wielder, a one-handed weapon is an object one size category smaller than the wielder, and a two-handed weapon is an object of the same size category as the wielder.

    Inappropriately Sized Weapons

    A creature can’t make optimum use of a weapon that isn’t properly sized for it. A cumulative -2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between the size of its intended wielder and the size of its actual wielder. If the creature isn’t proficient with the weapon a -4 nonproficiency penalty also applies.

    The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or two-handed weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder’s size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed. If a weapon’s designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can’t wield the weapon at all.

    This was a major change from 3.0 and confused a lot of people, but I’ve actually grown to understand it and kind of like it. Here’s some rationale.

    When it comes to weapons, one of the predominate attributes it balance. Balance differs from weapon to weapon. Making the presumption that halflings exist, a greatsword intended for halfling hands is not the same as a greatsword for human hands and is definitely not the same as a longsword for human hands. The balance, intent, and construction of the weapons are different between a longsword and a greatsword. The -2 penalty for wielding a weapon not made for your size is intended to pass along the idea that your body isn’t built to handle the balance and use intent of the weapon.

    Just my 2 cents on that matter.

    #564694
    EegahInc
    • Posts : 904
    • Gelatinous Cube

    And in the end, she does much more damage with a wand of wonder anyway 😈

    (Just a teaser, mchvlichldprdgy, for when you get to the later episodes.)

    #564695
    mchvlichldprdgy
    • Posts : 1168
    • Owlbear

    Yeah…I guess I’m wrong. I like the 3.0 rationale better, that and adventurer who was proficent with the weapon could use the weapon so long as it was not amazingly huge for them. Now I KNOW I’m not switching to 3.5 rules…ever. I’ll wait for four.

    Anyway…the shortsword in 3.0 is listed as a small weapon doing 1d6 damage. Sorry. Stupid wotc. Screwed over star wars cards, now they screwed up d&d.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘World’s Largest Dungeon’ is closed to new topics and replies.