Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter World’s Largest Dungeon Updated Char Stat Blocks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    • Owlbear

Can we get some updated Char stat blocks? particularly the new chars?

Thanks

darwin2kx
    • Commoner

I second this motion. Can we get new stat blocks?

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I shall endeavour to get the stat blocks updated over the next day or so 😀

Cheers

Hal :hal:

Ffaern
    • Orc

Thanks Hal. That would be great, with the recent carnage it’s been difficult keeping up with the party. I’d even had the somewhat weird impression that during session 21, a fifth character had appeared but I suppose it was just Fin doing a funny voice.

“Balazzar is Blind! Blind I tell you!” And unfortunately he’s just stepped on Feylin. You do realise it’s only a matter of time.

Keep up the magnificent and extraordinarily addictive work. I have become an addict.

riddles
    • Succubus

Can I third or 4th this. 🙂

Esp. as I’m sure the new characters have an interesting back story to tell, and it’d be nice to see how much of Feylin’s total encumberance is magical now…

Cob37
    • Gelatinous Cube
    Hal wrote:
    I shall endeavour to get the stat blocks updated over the next day or so 😀

Cheers

Shall you or shan’t you? 🙂

We don’t need stats for roleplaying!

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

OK OK!

Roleplaying aside! I have just updated the stat blocks for everyone but Kodo and Bastion (before he died).

Thanks to Steve to helping out with these. He is so much better at doing the blocks than I am 😀

New characters are also included 😀

Cheers

riddles
    • Succubus

🙂

Gerout would still have ‘ad them all! 😀

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

Interesting. I need to listen to some of the later sessions again. I don’t remember them having some of these items or Feylin taking levels of Temple Raider. 🙂

tomlib
    • Orc
    Cob37 wrote:
    We don’t need stats for roleplaying!

Cob37 brings up an interesting point here. What importance does the aspect of Role-playing takes versus statistics and dice rolling?

I think there is a great deal to be said for keeping statistics out of the game to add to the realism and role-playing. That being said, I know my group of players loves rolling the dice and seeing the big numbers come up.

In a recent session of RttToEE the group ran across the wounded Spugnoir in the Moat House and the cleric, Prav Toothbearer, asked “How hurt is he?” I replied that he looked bloody and beaten. The point was Andy (the role-player) needed to decide whether a Cure Light Wounds or Cure Moderate wounds was needed. Obviously, he wanted to save the better spell.

I refused to divulge exact hit points but in game mechanics the players always share this sort of information to optimize spells. I would guess that Cob37 thinks this takes away from the role-playing. I agree to some degree but if we take away statistics and let the GM control all rolls I think it takes away from the fun of the players.

It is an interesting subject for debate if anyone has any other thoughts?

Tom

WerewolfPaladin
    • Thri-kreen

I think that whether or not statistics get in the way of the roleplaying is entirely a product of the roleplayers involved. With my group, it’s usually:

“How far are you down?”

“I’m down 20 hitpoints.”

“Okay, Cure Moderate… you get back 15.”

“Good.”

Sometimes we get too steeped in the stats but usually the roleplaying is only punctuated by statistic questions. I think the stats are necessary to keep everything from being a GM power trip. It keeps everyone on the same playing field.

Cob37
    • Gelatinous Cube
    tomlib wrote:
    I would guess that Cob37 thinks this takes away from the role-playing. I agree to some degree but if we take away statistics and let the GM control all rolls I think it takes away from the fun of the players.

It is an interesting subject for debate if anyone has any other thoughts?

Tom

I believe, in D&D, the concept of “levels” is metagaming. I believe that in the telling of the story of the characters and the enemies that they would never speak about levels, what numbers they need to roll, and how much damage they can do in terms of hit points.

This also leads this old DM to believe that unless the character is learning a skill they have no previous experience with, they could “level-up” whenever and wherever they might be and under any circumstances. The character does not suddenly feel “more powerful” or “more tough”, it is the player who metagames these feelings and perceptions.

The only character that might feel a sudden change would be one that has divine abilities, such as a cleric being able to cast a new level of spells. The story telling of this should be done in a way such as “a new day has dawned and my deity has blessed me” kind of way.

I have players roll almost all of their own dice when called for but I expect results to be roleplayed out when able. Saying how many hitpoints came from a cure wounds roll would fall into the “You have to say it out loud for bookkeeping” heading, and would be ok in my DM style. But saying “I’m down half my hitpoints” is not acceptable. Other terms must be used in my roleplaying style. If that style is not acceptable to the player, the player can leave any time they want, nobody is holding a gun to their head.

Wellard
    • Orc

I’m with Cob on this one and continually have to remind my players that the do not have a rolling HP counter on their chests.

I remember one game in which I was playing when it came to healing my characters standard response on being asked how badly he was hurt was”I’m bleeding, how bad does it have to be”.

riddles
    • Succubus

Humm.

Actually, I’m not really sure.

It depends what you (and the players) are wanting/expecting to get out of the game.

Some people play it like the original D&D – a skirmish level wargame which has some character interaction. These tend to be VERY combat oriented & get bored witless when all their characters are doing is “talking and stuff”

Some are the other extreme, trying to fully immerse in their character. For them, anything that spoils the moment (i.e. where stats etc. are concerned) is bad. Call them “Storytellers” if you want.

Most are somewhat in the middle, though my lot tend to vere rather strongly to the wargame side, as that their background.

As far as you being down x number of hit points is concerned, I’ve ran games where as the GM I kept track of EVERYONES hit points and just described how badly wounded everyone was (can I also say, if anyone wants to do this, use a computer, or have a very good system for tracking it all!). It worked OK, but was ALOT of hard work. Of the people I was playing with at the time however, 2 loved it (storytellers), 2 hated it (wargamers, 1 of who the word munchkin was invented for I’m sure!) and 1 who didn’t care so long as we went down the pub afterwards…

Given the choice, I actually like the numbers. It can get in the way of the story of the game, but in a controlled environment like the WLD that isn’t that much of an issue to be honest…

Ffaern
    • Orc

Interesting stuff. I think we tend to vary the style depending on what’s happening. In a big combat with a lot of different opponents we tend to get more numeric in our approach although it swings back the other way when we are playing more intensive character roles such as negociating with NPC’s or solving mysteries. I have always assigned rather a lot of XP to players that roleplay well so they tend to respond to that.

One of the many things I love about RPG’s is that they can be played in different ways, with varying emphasis depending on the group and the GM.

Brian

P.S. My copy of the Hackmaster Player’s Guide has just been delivered – Hoody Hoo! Where’s my crossbow. 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • The forum ‘World’s Largest Dungeon’ is closed to new topics and replies.