Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter World’s Largest Dungeon Updated Char Stat Blocks

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    riddles
    • Succubus
    Ffaern wrote:
    P.S. My copy of the Hackmaster Player’s Guide has just been delivered – Hoody Hoo! Where’s my crossbow. 😀

I like Hackmaster! Though they retired the Nuclear Blast spell, which seems a shame…

…and any game where the GM is out to kill the players can’t be too bad… 😈

Cob37
    • Gelatinous Cube
    riddles wrote:

It depends what you (and the players) are wanting/expecting to get out of the game.

Some people play it like the original D&D – a skirmish level wargame which has some character interaction. These tend to be VERY combat oriented & get bored witless when all their characters are doing is “talking and stuff”

Some are the other extreme, trying to fully immerse in their character. For them, anything that spoils the moment (i.e. where stats etc. are concerned) is bad. Call them “Storytellers” if you want.

I agree and I would never put down anyone’s style of roleplay or wargame. It just so happens I know what I like and I let like minded individuals seek me out. It does not hurt my feelings if someone leaves the game because of differing styles, it’s big wide world out there and everyone can do what they want.

Salubrai
    • Succubus

I would say that Hal handles it quite ably, and I never was bothered by ANY rules discussion while listening to RPGMP3. It might be because he has the massive brain of Steve and his own skills to support him, but he seems to have it down pat. Take his example. 🙂

Cob37
    • Gelatinous Cube
    Shathis wrote:
    Take his example. 🙂

What do you mean?

riddles
    • Succubus

Cob37 – hopefully what I was saying didn’t come across as criticism. I’m afraid I’m a dabbler and enjoy life in both camps (though by natural inclination I’m a wargamer). Both ways to play are as “correct” as each other. At the end of the day, unless you design games for a living, this is our hobby and so long as it doesn’t hurt anyone else, etc etc…

Shathis, would you not say that most of Hal’s rules discussions were more on how inconsistant d20 is? Though it slowly seems to be getting better…

bredbored
    • Commoner

I can strongly recommend the articles at;

http://www.frontiernet.net/~jamesstarlight/

for very well reasoned statements on roleplaying styles, D20 rules problems, game balance… pretty much everything, really.

Kingsley

Cob37
    • Gelatinous Cube
    riddles wrote:
    Cob37 – hopefully what I was saying didn’t come across as criticism.

Not at all, I understood what you were saying.

Even if it was criticism, your delivery was courteous and therefore welcome.

Salubrai
    • Succubus

What I mean is – while it may be just very good editing, I would say Hal is one of the better examples of rules/storytelling balance. He’s a fine example of how to keep a game fun, not take yourself too seriously when playing what IS just a game. DM’s who take their games so deadly serious drive me nuts.

Anyway, like I was saying – want a good example of a DM, listen to Hal. He’s got the right balance. When he does get into the rules, he even keeps that somewhat entertaining. Which, believe me, is hard. I think we just got lucky in this case with RPGMP3… having a group of five individually talented folks who manage to put together what would usually be something of a chore to listen to (gamers just gaming) into something which is a joy and relaxing to hear. 😀 I know this smacks of kissing butt, but I’m quite serious. DM’s like him can make most systems playable.

Also, Fin is VERY good at DM’ing too. But his Paranoia game session was under lack of sleep. So he might be even better wide awake.

riddles
    • Succubus
    Shathis wrote:
    What I mean is – while it may be just very good editing, I would say Hal is one of the better examples of rules/storytelling balance. He’s a fine example of how to keep a game fun, not take yourself too seriously when playing what IS just a game. DM’s who take their games so deadly serious drive me nuts.

Anyway, like I was saying – want a good example of a DM, listen to Hal. He’s got the right balance. When he does get into the rules, he even keeps that somewhat entertaining. Which, believe me, is hard. I think we just got lucky in this case with RPGMP3… having a group of five individually talented folks who manage to put together what would usually be something of a chore to listen to (gamers just gaming) into something which is a joy and relaxing to hear. 😀 I know this smacks of kissing butt, but I’m quite serious. DM’s like him can make most systems playable.

Also, Fin is VERY good at DM’ing too. But his Paranoia game session was under lack of sleep. So he might be even better wide awake.

Actually, I thought his sleep depravation mirrored the madness of the Computer rather well… 🙂 Probably starting to get off topic here I guess…

Your’re right, though – I’m not sure alot of groups would have roleplayers to this high a standard, who also don’t take themselves too seriously…

Ffaern
    • Orc

Actually guys, I suspect we’re all pretty good GM’s. After all we spend a lot of our time here comparing notes and generally thinking about role-playing and running games.

Listening to other groups game has been an excellent way to pick up on new ideas and compare styles. Having so far listened to Hal, Cob and Tomlib I know I’d enjoy playing in any of those games.

Brian

tomlib
    • Orc
    Ffaern wrote:
    Having so far listened to Hal, Cob and Tomlib I know I’d enjoy playing in any of those games.

Why thank you kindly Brian. You can refer to me as Tom rather than tomlib anytime. I’m glad someone is getting some enjoyment from our efforts! There is a new session going up right now!

I think I’m mostly in Cob’s corner on the issue of Role-playing and statistics. I prefer to encourage role-playing but our group generally fights me every step of the way!

The wargamer mentality pervades our group as well and they do love tweaking the numbers to maximum advantage.

Tom

riddles
    • Succubus
    Ffaern wrote:
    Actually guys, I suspect we’re all pretty good GM’s. After all we spend a lot of our time here comparing notes and generally thinking about role-playing and running games.

Hmmm.

I can be a good GM.

With the WLD, a published campaign which requires a lot less preparation, I’m generally OK.

When I run my own, it depends on how much preparation I do. I write a pretty good game :). However, once we start playing (& my free time drops to negative numbers), when I freeform, I tend to “Monty Hall” (i.e. give away too much treasure). Suddenly the PCs need harder & harder monsters to fight, which gives them more and more treasure, so they need harder & harder monsters to fight, etc etc.

Generally, I can run a good campaign for about 6 months. After a year, the players are gods… 🙁

I have tried every way I can think of to stop this! Like I said, when I write everything down in advance, it doesn’t happen, but with 2 small children, my chances of doing that all the time is probably negative…

Anonymous
    • Owlbear

Hello,

I’m relatively new around here (maybe this weekend I’ll actually take some time and register).

In talking about healing at the game table and not wanting people to just say ‘Oh, I’m down 16 hit points’ or similar statments you gave me an idea.

This actually adds some mechanics to the game, but makes that type of talk ‘taboo’ at the table, so might help keep the numbers talk at the table down.

When someone needs healing have the cleric or other spell caster make either a Healing or some sort of Knowledge skill check to determine which of their spells would be most effective in the situation. I’d make it a relatively simple check in the case of basic HP type damage, but perhaps more difficult in the case of things like lost ability points or levels. DC 10 for hit points, 15 for ability loss, 20 for lost/negative levels. Something in there.

And I’d allow take 10’s and take 20’s, though if someone is bleeding or poisoned healing might need to be done sooner, and so the die roll would be more likely to come into play.

How does that sound?

Paul

aka PaulJohn

aka PJStoneson

Ffaern
    • Orc
    tomlib wrote:
    You can refer to me as Tom rather than tomlib anytime. I’m glad someone is getting some enjoyment from our efforts!

Hi Tom,

I was just trying to avoid confusing the other Tom on this board. There aren’t too many Hals and Cobs around but there are certainly two Toms here. From now on though it’s Tom, and you guys can figure it out 😉

I am certainly enjoying the RttToEE. Jusy stop the dog barking, eh. 😀

All the best,

Brian

tomlib
    • Orc

Paul, that is a fairly good point but the conversation would go something like this:

Cleric to Wounded Player: How much healing do you need?

GM to WP: How many hits are you down?

WP to GM: 17

GM to C: Role a Healing Check DC 14

C to GM: I rolled an 18

GM to C: You think a Cure Moderate is in order.

Still lots of statistic talk and what if the C misses the Healing check. Do you tell them a bigger or smaller healing spell?

If the GM keeps track of all hits dished out and then it would work well but to be honest I use the time the players spend healing after a battle to get organized behind the screen!

The other option is players speaking in code. I’m slightly hurt, moderately hurt, badly hurt, really badly hurt, etc. all meaning the same as giving the general hits anyway.

It’s a difficult situation to say the least. I lean towards Cob with as little stats as possible but my players love going through battles and killing things much more than discussing if the horses are fed. No insult there Cob at all. Your players are great role players and totally into character and I’d love for my players to be that into it. We go through more battles in one session than Cob and the boys do in five. I’m sure I could do a better job of enforcing Role-playing and listening to Cob’s group is giving me pointers in that direction. I’m trying to be a better role-playing GM, I really am!

Ffaern thanks for listening and I’m afraid it isn’t a single dog. There are a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 7 at any one time. We do our best.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • The forum ‘World’s Largest Dungeon’ is closed to new topics and replies.