Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    EegahInc
    • Gelatinous Cube

It’s true, I’ve become something of an RPG audio junkie. In between sessions of WLD, I’ve been following both the Auronia and Naught recordings. And now the Sunless Citadel is up, so I’m sure to work that in.

Having just reached the point in Cob37’s campaign where Mrs. 37 (jokingly) comments on how pathetic the lives of the people who listen to this stuff must be, I thought I’d throw in my two cents worth. Justify my existence so to speak.

My job requires I spend way too much time in a car and in front of a computer. I have lots and lots of time to listen to stuff. My music collection is massive and I dearly love Audio Books, both of which I still listen too regularly. But for a number reasons, these recorded games have struck a chord with me.

1. I’m just a big geek, no getting around it.

2. I’m not currently gaming, so it’s a little slice of something I always enjoyed, but can’t get into right now with my schedule.

3. When you’re pushing forty and you’ve seen and read literally thousands of stories, let’s face it, there just ain’t a lot of shocks and twists left. Seriously, how many times can you fall for the old “They were dead all along” gag before you recognize that it’s coming. These recordings offer a continuing narrative, but one that is guided in many ways by improv on the part of the players and the chance roll of dice. Literally, almost anything can happen in an instant to change the direction of the story. For me, that was one of the major appeals of RPGs in the first place and it translates surprisingly well to these recordings.

Sorry to over-analyze a simple pasttime, but I had fifteen minutes and felt like rambling. Keep those recordings coming!

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

So just how massive is this music collection of which you speak?

Salubrai
    • Succubus

Precisely what makes this more or less pathetic than the millions of idiots who buy from Oprah’s book-of-the-month club, the mind-numbed morons who watch Desperate Housewives and think it’s cutting edge comedy, the millions upon millions who regard Dan Brown as a great writer of quality who puts lots of real facts without dramatic alteration into the Da Vinci Code and his other pieces of paperback nonsense, the sort of people who make TV abortions like Survivor successes or the people who think CNN is good quality news?

I trust my point is well-made. Or at least I’ve insulted plenty of people. At least some of us enjoy the creativity and talent of good players and DMs.

ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube
    Quote:
    My job requires I spend way too much time in a car and in front of a computer. I have lots and lots of time to listen to stuff. My music collection is massive and I dearly love Audio Books, both of which I still listen too regularly. But for a number reasons, these recorded games have struck a chord with me.

2. I’m not currently gaming, so it’s a little slice of something I always enjoyed, but can’t get into right now with my schedule.

3. When you’re pushing forty and you’ve seen and read literally thousands of stories, let’s face it, there just ain’t a lot of shocks and twists left. Seriously, how many times can you fall for the old “They were dead all along” gag before you recognize that it’s coming. These recordings offer a continuing narrative, but one that is guided in many ways by improv on the part of the players and the chance roll of dice. Literally, almost anything can happen in an instant to change the direction of the story. For me, that was one of the major appeals of RPGs in the first place and it translates surprisingly well to these recordings.

I’ve got to say this almost describes me. I’m 35, I have a degree in music education and a vast eclectic music collection. I don’t game right now except on rare occasions with my oldest son. I spent TONS of time working at a computer while at the office. I feel burned out on sci-fi/fantasy books (been there, done that). Something about the audio here really is intriguing.

I enjoy all of the audio I listen too. I was struck immediately by the WLD crew and their first game. The crunching of chips, discussions of Mt Dew and other non-game related bits of audio were somehow incredibly familiar. D&D and roll playing must have some unwritten universal constants.

I find the Cob’s campaign to be somewhat different than the others posted here, and definately different than the games I used to run.. There is an VERY HIGH emphasis on role playing. Although I haven’t been in a game quite like that, it’s fascinating to listen to, and it makes it very easy to get into the narrative.

I’ve just started RTTE and Sunless Citadel. They are entertatining and I’m looking forward to more.

That was quite a post EegahInc. It’s interesting that it is similar to how I might describe myself. I suppose the underlying reasons we both like the RPG audio must be the same.

EegahInc
    • Gelatinous Cube

Wow, thanks for the responses guys. I didn’t know my midnight ramblings would touch a nerve.

In regards to the music collection; pretty massive, in the thousands. My teenage daughter has gone from asking, “Have you heard of…?” to “Where on the shelves can I find…?” In another striking similarity to ENoa4, the one college major I actually degreed in was Commercial Music (artist management and studio engineering), so music collecting has been a decades long thing with me. There’s always room for more, though, so any suggestions are appreciated.

I know we avoid agreeing too much on the forums 😆 but I seem to have a remarkably similar “dislike” list to Shathis. Don’t even get me started on the freakin’ Da Vinci Code! I have to say, though, that I didn’t really take insult to Mrs. 37’s comment. To a happily married man of 16 years, it came across as a wife who has “suffered” her husband’s oddball hobby for a long time and was genuinely surprised that there was a world full of similar people out there who found it interesting. No big deal, my wife gets “that look” every time I want to blow 20 bucks on some miniatures or my rapidly increasing 80’s gamebook collection.

Our fascination with Cob’s focus on roleplaying is another similarity ENoa4. I’ve never played in a campaign that comes remotely close to that level of devotion to character. I was in one of those groups where, if there wasn’t something to kill every 15 to 20 minutes, people started to wander off to the kitchen, music collection, or whatever. How in God’s name did he manage to find so many like-minded people to show up week after week?

Yikes, another long-winded one. Oh well, since I don’t stand a chance of winning the “most posts” competition, I guess I can go for the “longest, overblown, most self-referential posts” championship. 😯

ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube

There are some odd similarities but they start to break down a bit. My kids are so young they haven’t reached the stage your daughter is in. The play list a home includes songs Thomas the Tank Engine and Veggie Tales. Although thankfully they love the Imperial March (Darth Vader’s Theme) and frequently will scream and yell to hear Darth Vader’s theme. I even have a Darth Vader helmet, which my two year old insists on wearing. I’ll have to post a picture of that.

I agree with most of the post by Shathis, but must admit I am a survivor junkie. I know it’s bad television, so I’ll call it a guilty pleasure. I remember laughing my ass off the first time I watched it wondering what the hell is this crap, then two weeks later I couldn’t turn it off. 😳

I miss the glory days of my D&D campaign. Neverwinter nights is my only fix these days. I did get an invitation to join in one of Cob’s World of Skell games, they are only three hours away, but with the young kids, etc… that’s a bit of a stretch. It would however to be interesting to suddenly show up in one of these recordings. Kind of stepping through the looking glass. Someone should go on tour, and show up in one sessio n of each game posted.

mchvlichldprdgy
    • Owlbear

Wow, Shathis is cool. He has a wonderful little list there, though I would put in Fox instead of CNN, all because of bill o’reily.

Anyway, I have a few music suggestions for Mr. Incorporated. First, System of a Down, second, Rilo Kiley, third, Steve Earle, fourth, Lotus Lullaby, fifth, Rage Against the Machine.

I really enjoy the audio because it fills in gaps in my gaming schedule. Other than that, the characters are so endearing I can’t stop listening. I don’t have muct time to post as I have to get to class soon, so I’ll be long winded later.

riddles
    • Succubus

I’m kind of like ENoa4 as I also have young brats, sorry, darling children. I actually do have some time to roleplay (and GM if it’s something like the WLD) but no time to do anything exciting like watch TV.

Actually, that’s not 100% true, it’s just that with the exception of Dr. Who, there’s nothing worth watching made in the UK and by the time things come over from the States, I’ve either been put off them or watched the avi. DVDs are mine & the wife’s saving grace, as we can put something on that’s worth watching (once the boys have finally gone to sleep) and not mind falling asleep watching the programme…

I must admit I listen to the radio far more than watch the box though. And of course liven up my exciting work time (ha!) by listening to rpgmp3 🙂

ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube

My wife and I catch up on Law & Order, Sienfeld and Battlestar Galactica on DVD and TV after the kids go to sleep.

I watched Boston Legal for the first time last night. I couldn’t get through the whole episode, but Shattner was cracking me up. What a ham.

EegahInc
    • Gelatinous Cube

I’m afraid I can’t offer any opinions on TV series, because I don’t really watch any on a regular basis. Not for any snobbish reasons, I’m just a bonafide movie freak. Between Netflix and AVI VHS rips, I average at least two a night.

Coming up I have on tap a little thing I found in a 3 for $10 DVD bin called Fantasy Quest – The Game Begins. I think it’s a compilation of some old show I never saw called Dark Knight. Anyone seen this and have any idea how much pain I have in store for me?

Cob37
    • Gelatinous Cube

EegahInc wrote:
    It’s true, I’ve become something of an RPG audio junkie. In between sessions of WLD, I’ve been following both the Auronia and Naught recordings. And now the Sunless Citadel is up, so I’m sure to work that in.

Having just reached the point in Cob37’s campaign where Mrs. 37 (jokingly) comments on how pathetic the lives of the people who listen to this stuff must be, I thought I’d throw in my two cents worth. Justify my existence so to speak.

Sorry to over-analyze a simple pasttime, but I had fifteen minutes and felt like rambling. Keep those recordings coming!

What’s nice about getting older is you don’t give a rat’s ass what other people think. That being said, I think your post is right on target Eegah.

In reality my wife is glad my hobby isn’t one that costs a lot of money. She is very hip to creating the “medieval pub” basement in our new house. What could be better for gaming?

Eegah, you need to come to the World of Skell forums and join in. You can ask the pixie to justify his actions. 😆

Once we get the new house finished, both you and Enoa can come in for a weekend and wreak havoc with the World of Skell!

ENoa4
    • Gelatinous Cube
    Quote:
    Enoa can come in for a weekend and wreak havoc with the World of Skell!

It would be very strange to ‘show up’ in the world of Skell for a bit. I like it.

errand
    • Gelatinous Cube

I listen because it gives me a great RPG fix for when I am not gaming. When I am gaming it is nice to know I am not the only one that makes lewd commentary. I love how the group actually tries to roleplay, not just roll the dice. I also love the group’s accent. It reminds me of my grandparents.

Salubrai
    • Succubus

Hey, hop a plane to London. You’ll be OVERWHELMED. 😛

errand
    • Gelatinous Cube

I have an image of Corination Street.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘General RPG Stuff’ is closed to new topics and replies.