Forums RPGMP3 Podcast Audio Actual Play Recordings RPGMP3 Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 World's Largest Dungeon Session 33

• This topic has 20 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Qwaz.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

File Name: World's Largest Dungeon Session 33

File Submitter: Hal

File Submitted: 29 Jun 2013

File Category: Dungeons and Dragons 3.5

Genre: Fantasy

Profanity Level: Jolly Sweary Indeed

The party decide to make for the exit!

https://www.rpgmp3.com/files/game_recordings/RPGMP3/audio/worlds_largest_dungeon_session_33.mp3

Click here to download this file

Aethyr
    • Thri-kreen

Since it was talked about in this episode, I thought I’d comment on my dissatisfaction with the World’s Largest Dungeon. I love the playthrough, and the characters, but the story is sadly lacking that ties the whole dungeon together and it sounds like it is actually written that way and it isn’t the players avoiding the plot.

What did the players think? Sounds like Hal wasn’t too impressed. I think I’d be more forgiving of layout/description errors if there was at least a good story behind everything and not just little stories (sometimes) in each section. Thoughts? Are there other large dundeons with good stories behind them?

insert witticism here

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

The biggest issue with the WLD is that it each section is written by a different game designer and then they are spliced together.

Essentially the plot is – get out of the dungeon and that’s as far as it goes. The counterpoint is that the sections were designed to be used independently as well so you could have a bunch of dungeon levels for different levels of characters on hand if you need them.

Sadly the largest issue is the editing. There is a significant amount of fudging to deal with some of the issues. I believe there is one point (it may be here) where the room descriptions and numbers don’t even vaguely match the map.

Overall it is a reasonable adventure but it could really do with an overarching plot.

Hal :hal:

Aethyr
    • Thri-kreen

Interesting idea overall but if it isn’t combined story wise it really should have been sold as just a collection of various dungeons. Really makes me want to design a mega dungeon myself but I am waaaaay to lazy for that 😉

insert witticism here

BigJackBrass
    • Drider

Interesting idea overall but if it isn’t combined story wise it really should have been sold as just a collection of various dungeons. Really makes me want to design a mega dungeon myself but I am waaaaay to lazy for that 😉

Thanks to the OSR there are lots of good megadungeons to choose from, such as…

Anomalous Subsurface Environment

Stonehell

Dwimmermount

I’d love to hear Hal run a group through the ASE in particular 🙂

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I was kicking around the idea of writing a MEGADUNGEON at one point… perhaps when I am done with my course I can give it a try 🙂

What system would you guys like to see it for?

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

I was kicking around the idea of writing a MEGADUNGEON at one point… perhaps when I am done with my course I can give it a try 🙂

Have you considered Rolemaster? Or possibly Rolemaster?

Oh wait – yes, you have. Never mind, then. 🙂

PrestoJeff
    • Thri-kreen

I suppose it depends on what you want to do with it after it’s written and played. D&D 5E would seem to give you the best chance at publication (either by company or by yourself).  OTOH, I know RoleMaster is near and dear to your heart….  And then there’s Pathfinder,the old standby….

Lockhart
    • Owlbear

Honestly I feel the mega dungeon is a bit overdone by now and there are already quite a lot of options.

I think, a better product is the mini-sandbox. Most published adventures are either dungeons or paths with a big over arching plot and the necessary rails. Few products these days have the box set approach, a detailed small country with a number of small but developed quests and small tasks. Fill it to the brim with adventure so that a GM could run it twice and use completely different content each time. It’d be a product that allows players to feel in charge of there quest and destiny but still provide lots of set up for a GM to plan and use.

My thoughts, and what I’d write these days.

BigJackBrass
    • Drider

Might be an idea to spin this off into a separate topic, maybe catch the attention of people not following this particular thread.

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Hoping to resurrect one of your old threads, eh?

Lucky_Strike
    • Orc

The mini-sandbox is a good model.  Indoors or outdoors it’s an adventure location.  The appeal of the megadungeon part though is those beautiful maps.  Isle of Dread was a hex crawl with some pretty maps as well though.

Fifth edition D&D, Rolemaster, BECMI D&D, and Pathfinder are all solid.

Two systems I’ve been paging through which I have not seen mentioned recently that come to mind which have features that i think would shine as part of a MEGAsetting are Runequest and the Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG.

The use of runes in structuring the magic for a given campaign setting offers some interesting ways to set tone and the cults and brotherhoods mechanic is ready made to create interesting factions to set up places for individual party members and entire parties.

The varying approaches of folk magic, mysticism, theism and sorcery in the latest Rolemaster seem solid and offer a good system to set the dials on magic to taste for the tone of a particular megacampaign.  

The DCC RPG has a similar mechanic with its arcane patrons and I suspect from the many podcasts I have enjoyed that you would have a penchant for adding some interesting signal patrons to drive a wizard into a deep dungeon.  On the more martial side i also suspect that you would shine at arranging environments within the dungeon to allow players to make full use of the mighty feat of arms mechanic.  

There is a statement in DCC RPG that there is “no such thing as a generic magic item.”  This reminds me of shopping sessions in rolemaster in which truly unusual items appeared.  The set up in DCC RPG for magic swords is that they are all intelligent and all have desires I suspect this would provide barbs that might have characters treating treasure hordes as traps all on their own.

The monsters provided in the basic book for DCC RPG include Android, Dimensional Sailor, Extradimensional Analogue, and Time Traveller.  These sources of inspiration point back to certain of the science fantasy elements which Shadow World and Tekumel use well.

Lastly, I have not used but am intrigued by the character funnel method of generation offered in DCC RPG.  This idea could provide a shocking in medias res start to a megadungeon or campaign.  The Death Gate Cycle novels from when I was younger come to mind with a poor village abruptly dropped into The Labyrinth.  I can certainly see situations in which the funnel would really turn off a group but I can see groups that would own it as a origin story.  It might even just provide a preview session zero for the set up and let everyone switch over to more personally tailored characters in a session one.

BigJackBrass
    • Drider

If you were to start a fresh campaign I’d vote for Rolemaster first (and I noticed in the company news forum that they have all sorts of handy software to help people with their characters), possibly with GURPS a close second. On the D&D side of things, 5e is probably the logical choice, although I’d love to hear you run a much older version, perhaps best done using a retroclone like Labyrinth Lord or Delving Deeper.

After listening to an awful lot of third edition audio (and I include Pathfinder in that, since it’s the same game with a few trivial differences) I’ve had to conclude that it’s the system I least enjoy hearing played. Few games get in the way as much as third edition does, a seemingly endless parade of quibbles, exceptions, contradictions and weird restrictions. There are some great third edition sessions on the site, but it’s inevitably in spite of the rules.

PrestoJeff
    • Thri-kreen

I’ll mildly echo @[member=”Lucky_Strike”] and agree with his RuneQuest comment, though I’m going to go all the way back to RuneQuest 2 and the amazing Griffin Mountain supplement.  Easily one of the best sandboxes ever produced.

I think there’s also a bit of a difference in the game systems you enjoy playing versus those you enjoy listening to. I enjoy listening to RoleMaster, but I think I’d hate playing it.

BigJackBrass
    • Drider

I think there’s also a bit of a difference in the game systems you enjoy playing versus those you enjoy listening to. I enjoy listening to RoleMaster, but I think I’d hate playing it.

Certainly true to a degree; and there’s also a difference between games I’m prepared to run and ones I enjoy playing. With a good GM Rolemaster trots along at a good pace and really lets you explore some interesting characters, but I wouldn’t want to be on the other side of the screen for it these days 😀

Hey @[member=”Hal”], ever thought of throwing your lot into something quite removed from D&D for dungeoneering, such as Fudge Dungeon Crawl? I wonder how they’d take to the system.

Edited to add: There’s a thread over on the Original D&D Discussion board gathering together links for Ye Olde School Megadungeons, along with advice on building them. Might be of interest.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.