Forums Archive RPGMP3 Chatter Suggestions Zombies – The Board Game.

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Demonix
    • Orc

Have you played Zombies yet?

“Zombies!!! puts you in the middle of the action as you try to escape the ever advancing zombie hoard. Players must use a combination of wits and brawn to be the first to the heliport and certain escape. The only problem is, the zombies are everywhere, they appear to be very hungry and your opponents would really prefer if you didn’t escape.”

http://www.twilightcreationsinc.com/zombies/

I’m not sure if an audio review would be good or not but its well worth buying … if you get bored of of it at least you have 100 zombie figures to use in your other RPGs.

😕

N-kun
    • Thri-kreen

ive got a copy if you want to borrow it hal 😛

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Paul has it with a load of the expansions (so many in fact that he can barely close the box) 😀

Might have to see what we can russle up for the Halloween event for the Society with regards a recording or two 😛

I am still itching to record a game of My Life With Master (because it is great).

Hal 🙄

Demonix
    • Orc

Zombies 4 is a laugh – lots of Zombie dogs and pages from the book of the dead to help you with the quest.

Salubrai
    • Succubus

Speaking of zombies, has anyone yet seen “Land of the Dead”? Is it any good?

Sinister-Ornament
    • Gelatinous Cube

I’ve played the Zombies!!! boardgame

My verdict is, its okay, it is however vastly improved by making the game shorter by placing the helicopter landing pad tile a little further up the pile, otherwise the game tends to drag on a bit to long. And what starts, as a fast and furious game doesn’t seem even slightly fast or furious when it’s been dragging on too long.

The basic rules do need tweaking as the weapons within certain buildings, that you have cards in your hand to get, never seem to get used much especially after a player has gone to the considerable trouble of getting them once and then been under-whelmed by their effectiveness.

Out of the expansions sets I’d say the second one is best out of the one’s I’ve had the chance to examine (2, 3.5, & 4).

Expansion pack four (misnamed ‘The End’ thanks to expansion 5, School’s Out Forever!) has zombie dogs and is both a stand alone game and an expansion. But I don’t think it sits well with the others, more information was needed in the rules regarding combining it with the previous games.

I’ve only played Zombies!!! with 2 players it would be interesting to hear how a game with a larger number of players (4+) using ALL the expansion packs handles.

Is there another board game (other than Talisman) with this many expansions?

And a quick browse of their web site reveals

Zombies!!! 2nd Edition board game

http://www.twilightcreationsinc.com/zombies2/

With new female zombies!

I suppose it is a good game to get someone if they are too young for RPGs and you want to slowly corrupt erm, um, I’m mean convert them :wink:.

and it is infinitly preferable to the tedium that is Monopoly 😥

But for RPG players I think Eden Studio’s All Flesh Must Be Eaten is a better option.

I’ve been looking at a copy and I quite like the Unisystem’s mechanics.

for example shooting at someone;

Attacker would roll 1d10 add their Dexerity and their weapon skill the resultant figure if over 9 succeeds.

If the person being shot at wants to dodge the incoming bullet then they have to roll 1d10 + Dexterity + Dodge skill and to be successful they have to exceed the attackers roll.

I think this system sounds like it would lead to lots of tense dice watching .

Also worth mentioning is the lovely size of the hardback rules books (slightly larger than A5 at 7.5 by 9.5 inches and with very thick covers).

I think it would be good for players interested in dark moral dilemmas as several times in the text there’s bit that had me thinking; ‘Isn’t that pushing it a little too far?’

a chilling 😯 example;

Quote:
    “Then the order came down. Liquidate the infected. Yeah, it was ugly, but I told myself – cold murderous logic was the only solution. Just like that, we were going door to door. We gave the children lollipops for being brave when they got their “shots”. We zipped up the body bags and tossed them into the furnace.

(P. 78 Quote from the Female Soldier Archetype)

My main grumbles with the AFMBE rulebook is that I would have like to have seen less mistakes (even though their’s a errata sheet on Eden’s Web site) and I think it was a major mistake not including some scenarios within its covers.

Actually I think scenarios is one thing that’s really lacking with AFMBE, looking at the books available on the web site (ones on Zombie Cowboys, Pulp Zombie, Zombie Wrestling and Kung Fu Zombies etc http://www.allflesh.com/orderinfo.html) they all appear to be sourcebooks. 🙁

I always though the longevity of a RPG was based on the quality of the scenarios it produced.

Lindsay
    • Succubus

Shathis, I bought Hal Lands of the Dead for CHristmas and its ok, although not as great as Dawn of the Dead.

😀

Salubrai
    • Succubus
    Lindsay wrote:
    Shathis, I bought Hal Lands of the Dead for CHristmas and its ok, although not as great as Dawn of the Dead.

😀

Very nice. I haven’t had the opportunity to see it yet, despite the popularity here of “House of the Dead”. You would have figured lots of crossover appeal. 😀

EegahInc
    • Gelatinous Cube
    Shathis wrote:
    …despite the popularity here of “House of the Dead”.

Yow! That bombed here with audiences and critics. Must be a cultural thing.

Salubrai
    • Succubus
    EegahInc wrote:
    Shathis wrote:
    …despite the popularity here of “House of the Dead”.

Yow! That bombed here with audiences and critics. Must be a cultural thing.

The game, right? If there was a movie, it hasn’t played here

EegahInc
    • Gelatinous Cube

My mistake. I’m such a movie nut, I forget there are these things called video games that I’ve heard some people enjoy. 😕 Yeah, there was an incredibly awful movie adaptation, possibly one of THE worst game to movie adaptations I’ve ever seen (including the original D&D movie!). I think the Sci-Fi channel even showed a sequel.

Sinister-Ornament
    • Gelatinous Cube

I’ve seen a few zombie films although there is a lot I haven’t seen such as;

The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue,

Army of Darkness (Sacrilege I know),

Dead & Buried

I liked Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead and I can’t really decide which I like better. Dawn has less gore, (I’m not a gore fan 🙁 ), but the Military Bunker setting of Day is very evocative and the macho posturing of the military survivors works well against the practical nature of female central character.

28 Days Later started well but went down hill for me when the squadies were portrayed as sex-starved and ill disciplined and after only 28 days! If this was true and us males went as deranged after such a miniscule amount of time then I don’t think Western civilization would have occurred! 😆

I’ve been looking at trailers on the Internet for upcoming films featuring the Undead

The Quick and the Undead a sort of post-apocalypse zombie western looks fun from the trailer

http://www.thequickandtheundead.com

And the extremely weird trailer 2 for Worst Case Scenario promise extremely strange things with Nazi undead 😯 .

http://www.gorehoundinc.com/

Going back to All Flesh Must Be Eaten RPG I mentioned earlier I’ve just found out there is a download of the rules and a starter scenario much like the Call of Cthulhu one (with The Haunting attached).

Here’s the link;

http://www.edenstudios.net/intropacks.html

Also on there is Terra Primate RPG introductory pack which is a game involving monkeys in the style of Planet of the Apes and Congo.

Sinister-Ornament
    • Gelatinous Cube

I can’t believe I posted the above messages and forgot to mention the films Horror Express and Lifeforce, especially Lifeforce I mean how could I overlook a Tobe Hooper film featuring a British Space Shuttle, zombies roaming London, and naked space vampire babe in it! 😯

http://www.britishhorrorfilms.co.uk/lifeforce.shtml

EegahInc
    • Gelatinous Cube

Yay, Lifeforce! I saw it in the theatres the night it opened. (We’ve already covered the fact that I’m OLD!) Now that I’m aquainted with some Brits, however, I can finally ask a question that’s hung at the back of mind for years.

What’s the deal with doors over there. In an unintentionally hilarious scene in Lifeforce, the hero is running to meet the space vampire after viewing her escaping on camera. He runs into a room, opens a glass door, steps five feet, opens a glass door, steps five feet, opens a …..you get the idea. The audience was howling. Do you have a door surplus in England or something?

Sinister-Ornament
    • Gelatinous Cube

Although I haven’t seen the film in a while I’m guessing the scene you are on about is the scene where she first wakes up and snogs someone to death.

It is not unsually to see such a gathering of doors especially with newer houses you can see the designers have tried to use every last inch resulting in buildings where only flatpack furniture (the kind that you have to assembly yourself) will fit through the narrow twisty gap in to the rooms (and they don’t have a chimney!).

Sorry, I’m ranting again…

But as the film was made in the eighties the building is likely of seventies design (the staircase and reception in the same building also adds to my suspision that this is correct), so my conclusion is it is an airlock or germ proof control for the autopsy/surgery where the Space Girl imobile body is stored.

or

Quote:
    The audience was howling

Perhaps it was a full moon that night?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘Suggestions’ is closed to new topics and replies.